SPVMan goes V1.0 - 19th July 2003 - Final version

Guest muff

Guest jaknife2000

Yeah, like i said strange, i never got it with 7, 8, or 9.

Not too worried tho, after a reboot it works fine.

No problems or anything then.

Like the pause, as i mentioned.

Is there to be a sound on/off option ?

If so, i was going to suggest if you put it on the pause screen, like GNUboy, you can add things like sound on/off, reset high score, map keys, possibly a speed setting(mad, normal, snail) those sort of things, not exactly an essential tho.

I still love it tho.

Guest Dave.Burn

First things first, great cool game, this phone beats most at usability,

To tell you the truth, every time i install a new release (delete old file from card and copy new one straight away) i have to do a restart before it will work. No problem in my book though, how many times do you have to restart windows "before changes will take effect"?

Is there to be a sound on/off option ?

pretty please people, read the readme.txt file that comes in the zip, the keys are in there

volume up/down = sound on/off

Guest fumaras

I have just tested your last version 0.10a :D :D :D

great work muff :D.

now, i think highscore is not a problem because it's very hard (impossible perhaps but ?) to go to 100000 (i dont speak about 9,999,999 :lol: ;) :( and "extra life only at 10000, no others!!! eek!" :!: :shock: :!: ).

The ghost tactic is very better :D and with the ghost that reappear immediately, it's now very hard but very interesting to play :D.

thanks for the Pause (i see you mask the screen :lol: but it's better like that :wink: ).

The sound for eyes is great :D

Else:

- i haven't problem to install

- i don't see your problem Gorskar, i try to heat 1 ghot and take the fruit during ghost time but i just see the score of the fruit normally. (i also test with 2 and 3 ghost).

the problem i found are very little important and probably normal:

-if the spv volume sound is weak (1/5 and just a little if 2/5) i hear a sort of acute cracking from the speaker (normal ? or it's the game ?)

for exemple eatch time pacman is in a blanck line and eat the first yellow point i hear the acute "crack" (volume 1/5) or if i eat a blue ghot (vol 1/5 or 2/5) or a fruit (vol 1/5 or 2/5)...

If volume sound is high (3/5,4/5,5/5), i don't hear this acute craking from speaker...

- if i eat the 4 blue ghost very quickly, then the 4 eyes return to base and the 4 color ghost appear but ghost sound continu a little time (think the ghost sound follow his counter time and don't test if exist blue ghost).

It's normal like that?

- 1 live only is probably a problem, think better way if 1 life at 10000,1 life at 20000, 1 at 40000, 1 at 80000, ... or 1 at 10000, 1 at 30000, 1 at 60000, 1 at 90000,...(i don't remember the real extra live system of arcade game)

-if the spv volume sound is weak (1/5 and just a little if 2/5) i hear a sort of acute cracking from the speaker (normal ? or it's the game ?)

for exemple eatch time pacman is in a blanck line and eat the first yellow point i hear the acute "crack" (volume 1/5) or if i eat a blue ghot (vol 1/5 or 2/5) or a fruit (vol 1/5 or 2/5)...

If volume sound is high (3/5,4/5,5/5), i don't hear this acute craking from speaker...

this is probably the combination of the SPV at low volumes and the way I'm playing the wavs. I am still thinking of going to FMod, which may help this - as well as add potential for better sound all sound

- if i eat the 4 blue ghost very quickly, then the 4 eyes return to base and the 4 color ghost appear but ghost sound continu a little time (think the ghost sound follow his counter time and don't test if exist blue ghost).

It's normal like that?

whoops, well spotted - I hadn't realised - will fix

- 1 live only is probably a problem, think better way if 1 life at 10000,1 life at 20000, 1 at 40000, 1 at 80000, ... or 1 at 10000, 1 at 30000, 1 at 60000, 1 at 90000,...(i don't remember the real extra live system of arcade game)

I've tested the real arcade machine and you only appear to get 1 extra life, which can be at 10,000 or 15,000 or 20,000 depending on the switches in the machine

this makes the game FAR more difficult, but is more accurate to the arcade machine

merci beaucoup pour votre assistance mon ami

muff

Guest fraser

muff, thanks again for the update, we are all overwhelmed at the rate you are updating this!

I've got a suggestion on the fmod issue. You don't want to use it because it would take up extra space and make the installation more difficult, right?

How about creating an fmod package for the phone, that allows any game to use it? Kind of like adding your own API to the phone. Then, multiple games won't need to have copies of the same library, plus you only need to install it once.

Just make sure it goes in a standard location, then it's set.

fraser:

I have had exactly that thought (putting the fmod dll in a standard location for all authors to use), but it relies on 2 things

1. all authors agreeing on this location(not difficult I suspect)

2. fmod allowing this type of separation folder wise (I'm sure it will, but not tried it)

an even then, it actually wouldn't mean that the installation is smaller or easier, as you'd still have to include it for first time downloaders/installers

if I do decide to go to Fmod, then this is what I'll do, and encourage other authors to support the same location

which brings up a point. why do all the other games I see include the GD104.dll in their folder? there is already a gx.dll in the windows folder

are there benefits to the gd104.dll that I dont know about? (and that's a distinct possibility :lol:)

anyway, thanks for the feedback, we'll see what happens next (no folks even I don't know yet)

muff

how do i install this .exe?

i doesnt seem to work from windows or the SPV when i click on it

put the exe in the games folder on the phone, or else put it somewhere on the storage card, and a shortcut to it in the games folder

Guest adrianfox
fraser:

I have had exactly that thought (putting the fmod dll in a standard location for all authors to use), but it relies on 2 things

1. all authors agreeing on this location(not difficult I suspect)

2. fmod allowing this type of separation folder wise (I'm sure it will, but not tried it)

muff

muff beware of "DLL hell" with this approach. MS have abandoned doing this very thing on Windows. (i.e. what happens if someone overwrites the shared DLL with a new version that breaks your app)!

adrian:

yeah totally agree

but the other danger we run at the moment is that every game under the sun will include the fmod.dll (and the gd104.dll at this rate), and SD cards will rapidly fill with copies of the same files

we can always check the dll versions when an app runs so it's at least won't do anything nasty - just give an error

as Yoda would say 'tread careful we must' :lol:

muff

Guest leehawke

put the exe in the games folder on the phone, or else put it somewhere on the storage card, and a shortcut to it in the games folder

create the games folder in IPSM/Application data/games?

sorry leehawke, didn't realise that this was this first time you've done this or I'd have been more helpful the first time

if you go into the IPSM folder

into 'Windows'

and then into 'Start Menu'

there you will see a folder called 'Games' - this contains the files that show up in the GAMES on the phone

put either the EXE or a shortcut to the EXE in here

if you want to put a shortcut in here (and most people do it this way), then put the actual EXE into the 'Storage Card' folder (which is found at the top level along with IPSM), and then right click on it, and select 'Create Shortcut'

then cut and paste this shortcut into the afore mentioned Games folder within the IPSM subfolder

hope that helps

muff

Guest fumaras

thanks for all your answers muff.

I play a little today with the 0.10a :

-just one time at the first level after catch the ghost BASHFULL "INKY" (don't remember the number of ghost i catch this time) the eyes return to the base, Inky appear but are blocked in is base (at low part) and move left and right but can't go out !.

After the end of this level all return ok at the next level.

(I remember that Inky was too low and touch a little part of the low blue line of the base, but i don't see when Inky appear).I think it's not a big problem (?) because i just see it 1 time...

- i don't know if it's possible (and simple) but a possibility to adjust the sound level (not just on or off) would be really well (this request comes from several people who spoke about it)

PS:

Now it's very more difficult but it's a challenge :wink: my new highscore is 69390 and i lose with just 1 yellow point at the screen!!! think i can do better :twisted: :wink: :lol:

Guest PsychoDave

have you got the latest version of smartexplorer?

I think its version a5. you can get it from mono's site i think or here

It works fine for me and I couldn't get shortcuts to work with the older version.

Good luck m8 :lol:

Guest PsychoDave

Fraid not. Would be handy but suppose thats what the soft keys are meant for :lol:

What happens when u try to create a shortcut?

It should work anyway. If not just use your pc i suppose.

Guest benjymous

Yeah, just open the folder with the .exe in (on your storage card), and the phone's start menu/games folder through explorer on your PC, then you can just copy/paste a shortcut that way. Much easier than messing with an explorer on the phone

Guest fraser

Yup. By far the best way to create shortcuts is the right-drag on the PC.

Left click on the target exe, the drag it with the right mouse button to where you want the shortcut to go. When you release the button, a menu pops up with "move", "copy" and "create shortcut". Very useful.

You can even make windows stop changing the name to "Shortcut to ..." if you have TweakUI installed.