SPVMan goes V1.0 - 19th July 2003 - Final version

Guest muff

Guest benjymous
You can even make windows stop changing the name to "Shortcut to ..." if you have TweakUI installed.

It's strange - I have that turned on, and shortcuts in windows don't get the "shortcut to" prefix, but ones made on the phone do

I guess some other bit of code handles activesync'd shortcuts that tweakui isn't effecting

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Lordsmiff

Muff,

Gotta say this is superb ;) I'm new to smartphone and I'm already in love with it but this is just a "killer app"!

Well done and keep it up :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest Barryw

What's going on ?? My favorite game PACMAN on spv doesn't update since 3 months. Version : 0.010a with only one level i'm so sad :'(

Barry

You are my first My everything !

Guest Gorskar

I think Muff's intention was to make a close replica of the original arcade version of Pacman, which I think he has done pretty well :lol:

There was another Pacman like game in development (Bub and Bob in Pacland) but I'm not sure whats happening with that one.

• 2 weeks later...

is there still interest in this game?

I know there are a few bits (mainly sound wise) that need finishing and just want to guage if there is the demand?

Guest akarno
is there still interest in this game?

I know there are a few bits (mainly sound wise) that need finishing and just want to guage if there is the demand?

I am still very interested in this. I have just done a comparison with MAME PAC MAN. I thought the SPV version was a tiny bit slow (again only by 5% or so). The other main difference is the arcade version speeds up noticably after you complete the first level.

Doesn't it also change to a different layout after a couple of goes or does it just get faster. I only had a couple of goes and wasn't good enough to get passed level 2. I must be out of practice :oops:

Guest Charlie Mouse

I'm definitely still interested as its pretty much the only game I play. It is damn near perfect as it is but any improvements would be welcome :lol:

Thanks for a great game by the way!

akarno : you and your 5% :D

several people have commented that it runs too slowly at the start, and having checked it myself recently, yes the next version will be faster from the start of the levels

as for the maze changing, well no - in the original the map was always the same - the only thing they did to give you a small break was have small cut-scenes in-between some levels

the major change in the next version will be the sound engine - I'm going to swap the current stuff out, and replace it with the one used on SPVInvaders, which will allow me to mix the sounds, and generally make it closer to the arcade

thanks for the feedback guys, glad there is some interest as I really wanted to finish it off anyway :lol:

Guest vadonald

I tend to play it with the sound off, but when I do play with the sound on (cos my 15 month old lad wants me to - no kidding), then there is a definite pause before making a sound. Other than that its the best game IMHO on the SPV, but I have just downloaded Candy Catchup to try, and it looks like a game I've been hooked on before on the PC. 8)

Cheers, Vince

:lol:

they'd been on the todo list since the start

it was only once I got SPVInvaders out of the way that I cleared my desk enough to get back onto this

hope you enjoy

muff

Guest wbloore

Muff,

I'm having problems with version 0.9 - when I try to run the game on my phone, the screen goes white and SPVMan appears in the title bar, and then the list of games on my phone re-appears. Try soft reset (I've had this problem on previous version and a soft reset normally fixes it), but no luck. Unfortunately it still doesn't work. Any ideas? Does this happen to anyone else?

Wayne

Guest smartman

Muff I cant get your new updated file to work installed to storage card then put a shortcut to games folder then tried to run but it pauses a short while and returns to menu am I doing anything wrong or shoukd I try dload again then retry any ideas..... :?

wbloore sorry I guess we posted at same time I have same problem..

the only thing I can suggest is the usual clearing of any other programs from memory (of course a soft reset should do this, but use TaskManager to be sure)

it does pause a little (coupla seconds) when starting as it loads the sounds into memory, and caches some of them into the sound buffer, but I've not had any problems here at all...

I will generate some debug info to see how much memory this sucker is using up, and see if that's the source of the problem

in the mean time, could you guys do me a favour? try SPVInvaders on your phones for me, as it uses the same sound code - I know it's a long shot, but just in case that's what causing the issue (not sure how, but want to eliminate things at this stage)

Guest unclelimey

ahh, got it to work now, a soft reset fixed it, have you changed the way the ghosts "think", they seem a lot tougher now, which is a good thing as my high score on your previous version was about 110000 , i could never even get close to that score on the original arcade version.. the high score i am getting now with this latest version (25000) seems a lot more "realistic" if you get my meaning.

well done, looking forward to version 1

Guest awarner [MVP]

I had to turn the phone off then back on to get it to work.

It does take a while to load then it plays well (too well I'm out of practise :lol:)

I've just done a very quick test, and if I've got the memory viewing code right, SPVMan is using almost all available memory on the phone (95% of the memory on a phone will all other apps switched off if is what the code seems to be telling me)

now running that close to the wind, anything running in the background is going to cause it to run out of memory, and so it won't play (I guess that potentially included complex home pages using up memory)

I'm very sorry guys, I hadn't realised that it was sucking up so much memory (and to tell the truth, I dont know why it is at this point)

I'm going to look into this with today as my number one priority, please bear with me

Guest MoRFLeZ

Just installed the new exe ... rebooted ... checked my memory with Task Manager - had about 6800 left.

Tried to run SPVMan, it loaded up about 5 seconds, then went back to homescreen. I rebooted again, checked process list and quit SmartFace. Ran SPVMan - this time it came up, but it ran REALLY slow. Had to pull the battery to quit. *snap*

Looking forward to next version, guess my phone is too full of junk to run this one.