SPVMan goes V1.0 - 19th July 2003 - Final version

Guest muff

I've pulled version 0.9 because of these memory concerns

I'm digging through the code at the moment, and have found that by adding the cut-scenes I'm using too much memory on the phone (turns out I was already pushing close to the edge with the existing graphics)

The reason this is happening is that the graphics library I'm using is allocating far more memory for the graphics than I realised (16 bit surfaces despite the graphics only being 16 colour) - what this means is that I'm going to have to rework the graphics library some - doh!

it's the only way to ensure that this works on everyone's phone (not just mine :lol: )

the downside is that it means that it might be a while before we get running again - I could skip over to use the GapiDraw library, but I was hoping to avoid that for such a simple game

we'll see what happens after I've done some more digging through the code

muff

Guest unclelimey

quote from morflez... "Currently playing: Candy Catchup. Dang you Limey! "

--------------

sorry morflez... although freakjoe seems to have the better of me

Guest akarno

muff,

Just notice another difference between your version and the real MAME version.

The ghost "AI" is different. With real PACMAN, if you are being chased by a ghost and go over a power pill the ghost turns and runs away. In your version it keeps coming after you.

New version is great by the way.

Guest Trancedancer

I agree!

It's a REALLY good game!

I haven't played it much...what's the difference between the levels?

*TRANCEDANCER*

Akarno : you're right, I noticed it myself last night - they used to do this, but somewhere along the lines I've obviously broken that code - I will look at today

TranceDancer : The original arcade machine this is based on only ever had 1 'level' (by that I mean one maze), but the game gets progressively faster, with different bonus fruit as you go.

that little change to make the ghosts run away has caused a noticable change in the difficulty of the gameplay

I'm going to review the whole ghost behaviour now, and see what can be done

Guest unclelimey

hey muff, sorry to pick a fault with this great game u made, but the new fix to make the ghosts run away has made it nearly impossible to eat all 4 ghosts with one power pill, i dont remember it ever being that hard to eat them all

keep up the good work

:lol:

Guest mavisdavis

:x Leave muff alone I`d say it`s 99.9% complete and I play it for at least an hour a day on the toilet at work :lol: God damn my piles

I think it`s bloody ace :D

hey muff, sorry to pick a fault with this great game u made, but the new fix to make the ghosts run away has made it nearly impossible to eat all 4 ghosts with one power pill, i dont remember it ever being that hard to eat them all

:D

just cos you can't get hi-scores any more :lol:

I'll take a quick look, but maybe you just need to lure them in a bit more than you did previously - in the last coupla versions they just kept running at you, which made getting all four far too easy

as I say though, I'll take a quick look (but I really need to be getting on with other stuff now or midnight will start kicking off :D )

EDIT

I've just checked the original, and unless you reel them in (and even then), it's pretty hard to catch all four on that as well

I'm going to let the current version settle for a little while, and see what else people come up with, it may get looked at, but it's not on the urgent fix list - sorry :lol:

Guest adrianfox

muff, haven't checked 0.97 so not sure if you've added it, but I'm sure the arcade version had a looping "police siren" type sound that occured all the time apart from when the ghosts are blue.

anyway the game is great, playing it all the time!!

muff, haven't checked 0.97 so not sure if you've added it, but I'm sure the arcade version had a looping "police siren" type sound that occured all the time apart from when the ghosts are blue.

anyway the game is great, playing it all the time!!

yeah, this is the one missing feature in the current version (there is also a bug I can't replicate and track down)

the problem is that the 'siren' is a sound loop that's pitch changes as you eat more dots - pitch bending is not something that the sound code I'm using supports

Fear not, I've not forgotten it, I just can't come up with a good way to make it work as it should at the moment - going to have to get into the sound code at some point - but other games are calling at the moment :lol:

Guest midnight
as I say though, I'll take a quick look (but I really need to be getting on with other stuff now or midnight will start kicking off  )

hehe, i'll never do that m8 :D

i just think people are being just a little too picky and taking the meaning 'arcade perfect' just a little too far

oh, i have a bug aswell, i put my 10p into the slot on the side of the machine, but it doesnt fit very well, when can i expect a fix? :lol:

oh, i have a bug aswell, i put my 10p into the slot on the side of the machine, but it doesnt fit very well, when can i expect a fix? :lol:

it works on tokens not 10p's, and you can only get the tokens from me :D

Guest adrianfox

I think that the tone is just generated using a simple sign wave function. You could easily write a quick function to generate the waveform yourself taking the required freq as a paremeter.

Guest midnight

this has to be the longest weekend for you ever hehe

its only a game folks

whats next..... blinky is one pixel too far to the left on round 15

heheh, come on, seriously, is this game ever gonna be put to bed? i bet muff is considering never writing a game again if this is the kind of response and nit-picking he gets (and the smae goes for space invaders), this game is free, be thankfull for it :lol:

it seems pretty damn perfect to me, i say leave it as it is and move it up to v1.0 finial final final (with no more changes ever) hehehe :D