Thermometter for SPV (real)

Guest Xetra

Guest Xetra
Max 60°C??? Is that a reading or the maximum point of the scale? :shock: :?

Don't know but when you remove your battery (while spv connected)

it display 60° ...

Possible bug: :cry:

I have been using this program for most of the day, and I think it's great! However I've noticed something a bit odd (which may not be down to this program at all). I've assigned a speed dial to the program, so I can quickly check the temp, and I leave the program by pressing home rather than selecting "OK" on the left softkey (so it stays running in the background).

I've done this quite a few times during the day, and on one occasion the icon bar at the top changed to "Thermo by Xetra" as expected, and the softkeys appeared but the central display didn't change.

I assumed that the program had crashed and pressed home. The weird thing was that once again the icon bar and softkeys changed but the main area didn't. The phone was responding, changing softkeys and icon bar text with each keypress, but wouldn't re-draw the main display / client area of the phone; it was still showing the number I had pressed to activate the speed dial.

Fortunately a quick power cycle sorted it; and my registry fortunately hasn't become corrupted – I was worried I might be looking at an auto half reset.

It has only happened one other time since – and that time it was in it’s cradle – maybe ActiveSync was tying the phone up with something at the time. This time I tried to run the “Close All” speed dial program (“Surreal Services” - can’t remember who wrote it at the mo!), it seemed to run but the central display still wouldn’t refresh.

Has anyone else had this happen before? I’ve got a feeling that it’s an OS quirk rather than Xetra’s prog; it seems that the OS isn’t responding to screen re-draw requests.

It seemed a bit odd so I thought I’d share it with every one. :?

And on another note – has anyone managed to get the homescreen plug-in working?

Yeh i got that when i left the program running overnight (was just testing) and in the morning it was as you said.

no luck with the plgin as yet am still trying but to no avail :cry: :)

Guest mike-oh

Another quick pic as requested by Xetra!

Is the Farenheit value calculated from the Celsius value? If it is it shouldn't really be to 2d.p. unless the Celsius value is accurate to 2d.p.

Would it be possible to display the temperature in the status bar along with the signal strength and battery status on the home screen? That would be good!

Thanks very muchly again

Thermo.jpg

I've replicated that bug again!

It seems to happen if you leave the program running for a while (a few hours at least), and then return to it.

Could it be the OS requesting the program to finish and it not doing so?

Guest cpt_andy

I also have the bug of the middle part of the screen not going away. It remains if Xbar is used to close all proggys and even remains on top of the shutdown screen. As mattkirby says, it only seems to happen when left for a while.

Perhaps related, a similar occurance happens when I launch Task Manager from Xbar - I get the title and menu bars, but no middle section. This is easily solved by re-selecting the app with Xbar (Record->Action).

Cpt. Andy

Guest benjymous

All that's needed to make it much more accurate is a calibrate option

I.e. When it's hot, you hit the calibrate option, and enter what the actual temp is (measured from a real thermometer)

Then when it's cold, you do it again

That way, it has two reference points where it knows the exact real temperature, so then it'd be easy to make it scale the results from the battery temp function into real temperatures

Guest fraser

I'd prefer if it were to save the data in a file every hour. Then you can graph it etc, with options on how far back to go to get the high/low numbers from. :wink:

Guest MoRFLeZ
I'd prefer if it were to save the data in a file every hour. Then you can graph it etc, with options on how far back to go to get the high/low numbers from.  :wink:

Now that sounds cool

Now all we need is for Xetra to get back from holiday and get cracking...

Guest Jasonkruys

Anyone with any reports / examples of accuracy and response rate? I have installed the latest version on my spv, and it always seems a bit high - a good 5 degrees I reckon :?

remember it is measuring the temperature inside the battery, not the air surrounding the phone

that's always going to be hotter than the air around it, but by differing amounts acoording to how the phone is kept

if you bung it in your pocket all day, then the heat will build up, whereas if it's sat in the open air, then it'll be closer to the room temperature (because the heat won't build up so much)

Guest mike-oh

Have you guys not seen the photos i've posted on the previous pages? It's pretty much spot on given a few minutes! It doesn't need calibrating!!

Guest vijay555

I'm surprised by your photos Mike-ohalloran, because thru the day i don't keep the phone in my pocket and it's always a consistent 5 degrees out.

I think there may be variations in the calibrations of the phone, but either way, when Xetra gets back, i don't think it would be difficult to implement.

and muff: cos i could, but then i could also just carry a thermometer with me right?!

V

muff: cos i could, but then i could also just carry a thermometer with me right?!

:)

all I meant was that this is a fun little app, but that I doubt it'll be 100% accurate (by the very nature of the way it works), and that it's unfair to expect it to be

I'm sure that the authors time would be better spent on other apps