Hacked ROM!

Guest GNU

Yeah, is there actually someone who has a walkthrough about how to put a foreign language T9 (or even foreign language) in the rom of the device? And keep it in after a reboot?

It's just that I would love a dutch T9 in my I-mate rom, that's the only thing I still miss...

with the newly released 2003 upgrade for the compal, wouldn't THAT be the version of ROM worth hacking?

To those that haven't caught this yet, a Smartphone 2003 update is available here for the compal:

Address: ftp.everlinkwireless.com

User: sc1100

Paswwordd: everlink

In English? And if you install it, is it still possible to install a smartphone 2002 rom over it if you liked that one better?

And while I'm at it, can I install it on an spv e-100? :)

Guest cyrilthefish
can I install it on an spv e-100? :)

just downloaded it, depending on how mad i feel, i might try installing it on mine in a min :wink:

*backs up entire phone to SD-Card*

just downloaded it, depending on how mad i feel, i might try installing it on mine in a min  

I can't wait to see if it works... you are installing it on an spv e-100 or regular spv?

Because I need a backup from an spv e-100 rom with dutch dll... :)

Guest cyrilthefish

looks like the upgrade instructions supplied are only relevent to the compal phone, doesn't do anything on my e100 :roll:

and roke, just looked, my e100 doesn't have the dutch t9 dll :)

my e100 doesn't have the dutch t9 dll

That's a pity...

But still, would you be able to send me a copy of that ROM? Just thought of the fact that I need one if I need to send the device in repair. It's only a month old, and I hear that there is no warranty on it if they find an other ROM than the Orange one... :?

Would you please do me that favour? It would make me a happy man...

Ok, no need for the rom anymore. I got it, and even in dutch!

Now I'm the most happy man on earth! (at least as soon as they provide an update for msn messenger)

On topic again, Still no one that was able to make a modified image???

I'm a bit confused on that Red-E kit. If I were to purchase it for development will it actually work on a network?

Somehow, I doubt that. it is stated that there is no network certification on it, so it shouldn't work on any net.

If it does operate on a network, The producer of the phone (everlink, I guess) will be in serious troubles...

But the better question is what makes it uncertified? The OS? The Rom or the Hardware?

The rom of course.

If you put a rom on an uncertified device, it may be locked again, and if you put an other rom on a certified device, it's uncerted.

just try to install the I-Mate rom over the Orange (certified) ROM.

You will now have an unlocked device, until you reinstall the Orange ROM. Then the device is locked again. Hence it's the ROM that does the certification...

erm you can use the everlink device on a network, i believe it is not application locked, or supplied with any certificates? I'm sure a developer can confirm this.. (the device is NOT simlocked, and is supplied with a 'dummy' sim..

Roll on someone who gets this to install without paperweighting the phone!!

Will

So following that logic... could you install the 2003 upgrade.. and downgrade the rom?
How do you suggest we do that? the 2003 upgrade IS the ROM...

Downgrading would mean you just put back a 2002 ROM over it, which nullifies the upgrade of the wm 2003 ROM.

erm you can use the everlink device on a network

As I already said, the device isn't even certified to work on a network, so if it would register on a network, you have an illegal device. Any device needs to be certificated for use on a gsm network, it has to be tested and clearly allowed to be used on a net...

(the device is NOT simlocked, and is supplied with a 'dummy' sim..

That dummy is meant to use to be able to let the phone function, not to call with it. If you don't believe that, just try to turn on your phone with no sim inserted. You will get a message "please insert sim", and the phone won't power on...

This has moved a little off topic of the main thread,

I agree with you.. but:

You 'CAN' use the everlink on a network ---- but i take your point! (It is not certified), but it does work, I just checked the MS page about it, and it says:

*The enclosed SIM card will enable the phone in developer mode (no GSM/GPRS services). This device is not certified for network access.

There is a confusion over the word certification, as to if the device is certificate(App locked)- which it obviously is not, or Network Certified, which it is not either..

Hope we agree? got a bit confusing there!!

Will

Soooo has anyone suceeded in rebuilding a 2k2 rom that works?

I have read the same article, and here's why I say that it won't work:

The enclosed SIM card will enable the phone in developer mode (no GSM/GPRS services).
This (no GSM/GPRS services) addendum means that you can't use gsm or gprs services. To enable developer mode is just to startup the phone in its software functions, which have nothing to do with communication (like calling, sending sms).

This device is not certified for network access.

This means that this device has not been tested on a network and has no authorisation (certification) to function on a net. All devices need to match certain international rulings and will get a certificate to state that they are allowed to make use of a network. As long as there's no certificate, a device is not allowed to access the network.

You see, if it works, it will be an illegal device, and authorities are allowed to confiscate it...

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

I can assure you the handset works fully on any GSM network.

You don't ~need~ the dummy SIM (try turning the radio off, remove the SIM, turn back on), but its more convenient that there is one.

That's just strange... that phone shouldn't be allowed on any net without the proper certificate. Ah wel...

On topic again: I don't hear any of the ROM costomising people here.

Hey guys, how's research? I tried that dumprom tool, but for some reason, it won't start on my pc...

Anyone close to making a ROM? and has anyone got a proper step-to-step walkthrough about how making a ROM dump?

Roke,

it works on any network you choose. It comes with a dummy SIM so you can test apps on it if you DON'T have a valid SIM. But, if you put a valid SIM card from Orange or o2 or Cingular or whoever, it is going to work. After all, it *IS* a working unlocked GSM phone, right?

Many on here have it as it was the only phone we could get here in the US. Some swear it is the best smartphone to date.

-Mc