A guide to making Smartphone ringtones

Guest Simon Desser

Guest xtacybyme

Just got my new E200, LUV it, but how do i make it use ringtones per contact like i did w\ my old spv..i used caller2picture, and when someone called me there pic came up and so did there ringtone..Is this not possible w\ the E200? i'm using the IA callerid, and can't seem to figure out how to get all my ringtones to work\ for each contact..Ideas please..Frustrated HERE :?:

• 3 months later...
Guest dcdomain

Oy, I've messed around with all of this and I can never get the ringtone to be as loud as the factory ringtones. I looked at the default factory ringtones and they seem to come in both .wav and .mid files.

I downloaded the Standard.wav and it's a 16 bit, 22kHz mono PCM file. I'm not sure what more I can do to my custom ringtones to make them match the quality of the default ones. I tried uploading the midi file of the song I used on my old phone and it was pretty awful.

Anyone know what type of 'profile' the MPx220 uses to play midi files?

Guest kabloooie44

hi all.... i'm using a O2 Xphone II and having some difficulties....

managed to move my MP3 sound file.... can be played using media player on my phone....

even moved the file to Application Data\Sounds.... but it doesn't show up in my

ringtone list when i accessed Settings>Sounds trying to assign it to be my ringtone....

i had also tried zipping and extracting.... but it does not show up to be under ringtones selection...

any advice...? :oops:

Edited by kabloooie44

Guest Disco Stu

I don't think your phone will play MP3s as ringtones; which is what this thread is all about. ;)

You'll have to convert to wav or wma

Thanks simon works great.  But whilst playing around i did find that you could also use 8bit Mono 22khz. This will give you about the same file size as 16bit Mono 11050hz but can also give you that little extra treble range, without introducing too much hiss.

But i must admit it did work better on some tunes than others.  Don`t know why since they`re all coming from CD quality source.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's the same reason that the MP3 file format or any compression of the original "cd quality" source, such as reducing it to an 8 or 16bit file. Different songs have different dynamic ranges, and will end up sounding potentially good or bad, depending on what parts of the song had to be removed when going to the file type with less "range". If you have enough storage on your phone, then bump up the setting a bit closer to the original "cd quality". You may have to give some songs "more room" in order for them to sound good. Trouble is, it's hard to tell how they will sound until you get them on your phone... i.e. It will sound horrible from my computer, but I have a home studio that I pipe the sound through, whereas, it will sound great as a "ringtone" coming out of the massive speaker on my SMT 5600! ;)

Hope this helps!

• 6 months later...

Simon I like to say that you have been a wonderful help for me. But I have the problem that my audio is not midi, so it can't be a ringtone. ;)

I need a midi file as I am trying create ringtones to sell on my website.

Thank you

• 2 months later...
Guest eieioNY

Simon, et al.

i'm a newbie at this and i read simon's "guide to making smartphone ringtones" and he suggested that we try Cool Edit 2000. i looked and it really isn't available anymore from places like downloads.com

may i ask what you folks out there suggest as a simple program that will allow me to make ring tones for my SP5? again, i'm not going to be a professional musician or anything like that, i'm only interested in making nice ringtones for my SP5.

many thanks in advance.

• 2 weeks later...