SPV2 vs. MPx200 vs. New Mitac

Guest londonlad

Guest Greywolf_Ghost

The BT and camera are nice additions, but I have a camera, not the worlds best but does more then I need. It's SD/MMC compatable so would be able to use phone as pocket viewer.

Anyway, I am under the impression less toys = more battery time.

I would pick the Moto even if I had the option of other phones available.

However it looks as tho North America will only have the Moto to start.

Wifi would rock, borrow internet from various people houses as you walk through their estates...

It would but you won't be able to use my Wi-Fi, it's locked down don't want no=one pinching my valuable bandwidth ;)

Bluetooth has to be in my next upgrade, it's essential for all my devices I currently have, so looks like it will be the SPV model that I will be upgrading to, can't go back to a wired handsfree set I think I would probably strangle myself whilst driving.

Guest Ron Jeremy

The release dates for both the SPV2 and MPx200 are soft dates, as ever bringing these devices to market hinges on alot of factors coming together at once. Realistically end of oct / early novemer for both I think.

Even tho it runs 2002 I really like the Motorola, it looks like a cool phone and the clam shell means the LCD screen looks great. The SPV2.0 is a good device, but it's still a little bit chunky, not as heavy as the SPV1.0 mind. I'm not too bothered about BT and integrated cameras.......I'm forever listening to the hours of WMA's on my 256MB SD card!, so Moto for me.

The MPx200 is running at 206Mhz in the engineering sample we have at DAT. The sample PV2 has a "ARM OMAP 710", tho the processor speed is not advertised on the phone. By definition of the processor type ( http://msmobiles.com/catalog/i.php/154.html ) it should only run at 132Mhz....tho that seems insane that they're not making use of better technolgy in an otherwise cool device.

Guest Smart-UP

I have been using an MPX-200 for about two months now and I have to say that I would not swap the MPX for any other phone at the moment, it does everything I want and loads more, I dont use pic messaging so the lack of an integrated camera does not bother me, I do have the SD-Card camera that plugs in the side but frankly I wouldn't bother with it. I am now looking forward to the MPX-220 with integrated Bluetooth, this one will also have an integrated camera for those who like to take piccies. I use the phone for Email, Messenger, MP3 and video clip playback and everything works really well, I have a 1gb SD card installed and I can download shed loads of stuff to it with no fear of running out of space, the screen is crystal clear, audio is excellent, call quality and signal holding are superb and overall it is exactly what you would expect from a smart phone. The MPX is fully customisable in every respect from wallpaper to ringtone and menu structure. Games and software are excellent and are mostly free at the moment. This is what a smart phone should be.

Guest morpheus2702

Been using a MPx200 for two months? Umm, it was only announced a month ago!

Smart-up - are you a lucky boy or a boy made of wood? :wink:

Guest Smart-UP

Only announced a month ago, so you recon this puppy was designed, researched, engineered, and tested in a month. Hmmm I think not. I have been working on this project for 10 months and have had MPX prototypes for five months. I have had a play on later versions than this that have not even made it to the outside world yet. Too secret to even hint at the capability.

Guest morpheus2702

You could have just said that you were a 'lucky' boy then?

I have had a play on later versions than this that have not even made it to the outside world yet. Too secret to even hint at the capability

Wow, fully working GPRS maybe?!?

Guest Ron Jeremy

I think he wanted to re-iterate just how lucky he is :wink:

Presumably MPx220 will be running Smartphone 2003? and is that going to take another 10 months to develop?

Guest Ron Jeremy

The device I have is an engineering sample to develop some system software for, which was supplied a good couple of months ago. Rather than having the OMAP 710 processer, this device has the ARM SA1100 processor. Anyway for reasons unknown to myself the production device will have OMAP. I'm guessing from the experience of using the phone, one of the reasons will be battery life, with the faster processor the battery life is very, very poor.

that's a real shame.

The MPx200 seemed my ideal phone. I am not bothered about BT or a camera but was really looking forward to the extra speed.

Now I am not so sure!

Guest Ron Jeremy

I'm sure Orange do a "No quibble" money back on any phone returned within 14 days of purchase, so you could test drive the MPx for a couple of weeks and see how you feel then

Guest Smart-UP

I have both dev (silver) and prospective retail (two tone black) versions the dev (200mhz) version is way quicker but has about half the battery life of the slower processor, so you have a choice, have a battery last about two thirds of a working day risking data loss or reduce speed and keep the phone running happily between charges. A super fast handset is balls all use with a flat battery.

Guest Ron Jeremy

I think the MPx220 is suppose to be slightly smaller, 5mm thinner or something like. I reckon you'll probably have a wait tho, it's taken a long time for Motorola to bring the MPx200 to market, can you wait that long?

It sounds like Smart-UP can be more specific than I....

I had an SPV when they first came out but sent it back after 14 days because:-

the keys and joystck thingy were crappy

it was slow

it was too bulky compared to my SL45i

Hopefully the MPx200 implementation of Smartphone 2002 is faster even if it has the same processor as the SPV. We will have to wait and see.

Guest Greywolf_Ghost
I have lots of info, software, accessories and a few of the handsets, what would you like to know?

How about how the Sony Ericsson Smartphone......

Hows it look??

Guest Smart-UP

The P900 is superb, it does everything SE say, it does it well and will not disappoint. Lets hope the marketing peeps get the price right this time.

Guest midnight

oh, also, SMart-Up, this is an MS Smartphone forum, the MPX200 really aint that much different to the SPV, has the same capabilities, so there are phones out there already, its an SPV/E100 in a clamshell, nothing more ;)