gps

Guest ndavey1

• 1 month later...
Guest mr_naughty

You can get a serial cable for an XDA http://pc-mobile.net/pdaserial.htm, which might be able to hook up an SPV to a GPS (e.g. road angel, see www.blackspot.com), but as far as I can tell there is no software at the moment.

Interestingly, handango seem to think Pocket Streets and some of the Tom Tom maps will work on Windows Mobile - isn't that the OS used on the E200?

Also, www.pdamods.com is another place to look for pda / gps navigation systems, but alas, they have no smartphone products at the moment.

Guest fraser
Am I not correct in thinking it's an SDIO card?... and most smartphones don't support SDIO?

Sort of. The SD card in your phone is SDIO, the question is whether the manufacturers of devices provide Smartphone drivers or not. Mostly not at the moment unfortunately.

Guest webnom

RE: e200 and gps

We make a product called eBeam (www.e-beam.com) and have a Bluetooth version available and software for PPC, PC, Mac, and Palm.

We'd love to make a smartphone version of our sw but so far have had no luck using serial port profile (SPP) on the e200. Since the EMTAC (and I'm sure other BT GPS receivers) uses SPP, I'm guessing that even if you had software, you'd have to have an update to the BT drivers on the phone to allow SPP connections.

Microsoft support personnel are claiming this is on the manufacturer to provide and so I can't expect help from them.

Any other news from anyone else?

GPS on smartphone is THE KILLER APP!

• 8 months later...
Guest juleskaos

Good news good news

YES there is software available for smartphones that Will be a complete Sav Nav for ya phones ya all.

First of all check this site out you can download a beta of the software and buy maps......MAPOPOLIS

www.mapopolis.com

And there are GPS Bluetooth recievers available on ebay.

Check out Co Pilot Live Smartphone, Tom Tom Mobile and a few others that are nearly ready.

Hope this helps

:)

Streets and Trips 2005 includes Pocket Streets for your Pocket PC and the New! Pocket Streets for Smartphone, giving you easy access to your maps on your notebook PC, Pocket PC or Smartphone without needing an Internet connection.  

No voice directions though :)

No voice directions though  :)

Their GPS support for smartphone is through a BT kit developed by a third party company.

Don't know detialed information.

Just wait and see :roll:

Guest Shakface

tomtom mobile and the c500 dont work together

I have TOMTOM mobile. The software is good and work superbly on a e200

but apparantly they are some dodgy .dll files within the c500 which makes it uncompatible with the c500, so you'll just have to wait for tomtom to release a fix for it

Guest the_ugly_north

Pocket streets cannot divert round a problem it is the same as printing off an autoroute map with the added bonus (?) of the GPS telling you where on that map you are. You cannot edit the route on the phone either.

Not a contender really!

Very good point. I'm not a huge fan of any app that you do the bulk on the PC, then use the mobile to access it on the move. Mapopolis gets my vote for cool mapping software, the addition of street numbers is essential if you live in a large city. Not tried it with GPS, still working on my trusty(ish) SPV, so no BT. That's my first upgrade new toy, so watching this thread with interest!! Some sort of deal for a BT GPS device would be great!!