1.6 Update when?

Guest theodotcom

Guest paradox ewan

spoke to orange customer service, who knew nothing about it (as per usual lol)

After speaking to a supervisor, they said that it had been put on ice for some reason, and could give no date on its release

Guest kernowmagic

hello i think that we should leave it to the boys at modaco to inform us about when the update is after all they are beta testing the update so i think they would be in the know and for every post that says its the 17th then the 19th its causing tempers to be a bit high

Guest martinwcooper

My grandma thinks it will be released on the 23rd.

Let's face it, the only thing Orange do well is clone millions of moronic Geordies to staff their call centres. If it's taken them well over a year to implement an sms counter then who knows how long it will take to fix the gprs problem or the messenger problem.

They bit off more than they could chew with the SPV, and until they recruit sufficient technical staff, it seems unlikely that the situation will improve.

Guest mike-oh
Well, just install XP then instead of 98... :lol: 

What's the difference anyway? I found XP easier to use, and it runs everything I ask... 8)

Well i would if i wasn't a poor student!

I don't ever remember having to meet a minimum spec to buy this phone! :evil:

Guest martinwcooper
of course the 1.6 upgate fixes the sms, gprs and messenger problems you mention

It fixes them, but it's not here. Therefore they are not fixed. :roll:

Guest mantrac
So do I. Does anyone know?

Thanks,

T

This is a repeated phenomenon...

It's happened at least 3 times already and everyone (including the Orange customer care) were assuring everyone that an update is about to come out...

I very much doubt we will ever see another update for the SPV...

Orange have the E200 out now and it's in their best interest to sell as many as possible..

Most SPV owners will be or are due for an upgrade anyway so O are probably betting on the fact that the SPV's appaling bugs will become another reason for people to buy the new E200...

Much as I like a good conspiracy theory - seems a bit far fetched in light of the fact that the mods here actually HAVE the 1.6 update! Unless it's only for them!??

Guest rob_pearse

I've had my SPV for over a year now. The 1.6 upgrade is, for me, the last chance for Orange and Microsoft to keep me interested in the SPV. If the 1.6 upgrade really does fix all the problems and pauses I have to put up with on my SPV then maybe, MAYBE, I might consider the E200.

Frankly though, I'm looking to switch to another phone brand and OS. The SPV isn't a bad phone, but it's just too slow sometimes and far too dependent on a PC for what I want.

Guest midnight

1.6 IS being released of course

and its a Microsoft Smartphone, of course it requires a PC, the whiole point is the ability to sync with Outlook and be able to write your own apps using a PC and visual studio (using .net with e200 if you like)

1.6 is faster, more stable, many bug fixes (and yes, i think t9 is fixed, i havent seen a problem so far), and is generally much better than 1.3.5 (and is much better than other carriers 1.6 updates by the way)

there is no conspiracy here to make you buy e200's (even though i will anyway, its just a great phone :lol:)

Is it just me or has the whole SPV update gone on for just far too long?

The moderators have the upadte and they are happy with it, Midnight says nothing has gone wrong yet so what the hell are Orange playing about at?

Working in IT i know what a headache it causes when you release something that doesnt work right! but they have had long enough now to put things right.

Why cant they just follow the Microsoft method and release individual fixes then bang them all into a major service pack later. The MSN messenger failure has been going on for far too long now :evil:

I do sometimes wonder how Orange can get away with it, is my SPV technically broken and therefore Orange needs to repair it :?:

Before you start I know the Update will not make my phone as good as tthe E200 but some commitment would be nice, I wish I could keep moving my deadline back all the time, by the time my updates would be ready we would have moved onto new software. Now where have I just seen this :?: :?: :?:

SPV4U

my hat is as far of my head as it will go as i respectfully nod in agreement.

I am still a little bit perplexed and p***** ^^^ at being told the other day in good faith from "an" Orange representative that the release date was indeed 19th. I should have thought better but at the time was very exited and hence placed the info on MoDaCo.

Turns out that I ended up with proverbial egg on my face.

But I must agree with you as I miss using MSN messenger and would like to see the sms word counter fixed sometime soon.

Lets hope sincerely that it IS released in the next few days as all said and done it seems like an awfully long time to date.

nixy.....(egg stained brow)

Guest morpheus2702

This is the one single thing that gets on my goat about MoDaCo!

I've been a member since May and the update conundrum has been going on ever since then, mainly starting when GPRS went tits up.

But we were told the 'GPRS was being addressed at the highest levels of Orange' and that we should all be patient. After all, affecting change and improving the Smartphone experience is what MoDaCo is all about, right?

We were told to expect the 1.5 update in July to coincide with the E100 release. The E100 arrives and it has to have the most appalling battery life this side of a 3G phone. Mr Orange arrives and announces an imminent 1.6 update, which we are eternally told is testing well.

And then MSN goes tits up and we get some concrete information that something will appear mid-November. Pretty understandable that those without a beta update start getting a bit excited.

Then 'mid November' passes us by and we are told nothing more that 'be patient' and 'its imminent' and 'no-one ever said it would be 19th November'.

Can I remind you all that whilst some of you are fawning over the wonderful new E200, there is a FAR LARGER NUMBER OF US that have phones with a CRAP BATTERY LIFE, NO WORKING MESSENGER SERVICE, UNRELIABLE GPRS and numerous other problems!!!

I for one no longer need to be patrionised with being told to be patient or something is imminent. Let's have some concrete information about what the hell IS happening with this update so threads like this actually resolve something and don't just become rhetorical.

Guest hecatae

nicely put Morpheus,

I might have an unreleased rom version on my phone but at least msn works, battery life is 2.5days, gprs works.

there are no real bugs as far as i can see

Guest mantrac

The reason I went for an SPV is because at the time it was the only phone that could do all the amazing things it does.

Nowadays however I could point to at least 4 other phones out there that do everything the SPV does and more, better, faster and with far less noticeable bugs...

Nokia is getting there, the SEP900 is there already and the two new 3G phones (hell, even those motorola ones! -920 and 850 or something?) are packed with impressive features (which can be unlocked now).

The SPV HAD the niche market advantage and they didn't exploit it by keeping their user base happy and updated...

The Smartphone platform will suffer heavy losses and my proof to that is the gigantic majority of non MS phone OSs out there giving people what they want...

Most SPV users will want to browse the web, send e-mails (from multpiple accounts), use the IM, take a picture, perhaps a video and play a game...

Any other features are mostly being ignored...

The SPV at the moment fails in almost EVERY one of those features above, except of games and web browsing.

The e-mail is too confusing because it's listed together with text messages and multiple e-mail accounts can not be accessed.

Picture taking is useless (how many of you carry that spare camera around and how many are happy with its quality and response?)

Videos are a joke and don't comply with 3GPP standards (goodbye video MMS then)

IM no longer works...

I can't complain though... That's what happens when early adopters go for a platform that has a bleak future...

Guest midnight

i dont think you can say the platform has a bleak future, there are many devices being made, sp2k2 and wm2k3, i wouldnt blame the whole platform for O's shortcomings. And it is just that, it isnt MoDaCo's fault, it isnt the Mods fault, it isnt Mr O's fault, this is a forum, not an Orange run website :lol:

I for one am excited about the future of the smartphone platform, as a first release the smartphone 2002 os was buggy, but still impressive at the same time, better than anything else out there, now we have the e200 and again sets the bar higher for all the others to catch up.

Anyways, thats enough of my ramblings, just dont see why MoDaCo should take the flak cos of an unreleased update.

Guest mantrac

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't blaming Modaco or Mr. O.

I am blaming only Orange and Microsoft... but primarily Orange...

Modaco and anyone else have actually replaced Orange in terms of support, ideas and experimentation...

As for the future of wm2k3, I firmly believe that it's not going to happen any time soon...

...There are only a handful of phones that run MS and they're up against Nokia, SE ans Symbian...