1.6 Update when?

Guest theodotcom

Guest morpheus2702

No, whereas MoDaCo can't be blamed for the lack of an update, its certainly guilty of having a 'nicely nicely, softly softly, let's not upset the applecart' attitude!

'Orange are right not to rush out buggy software'

'Orange are aware of the GPRS problem'

'Be patient, the update is imminent'

'Its not Orange's fault it hasn't be certified'

'Sorry, I don't work for that part of Orange. But let me give you some information about Orangeworld tariffs'

It's never Orange's fault, is it?

Guest morpheus2702

So by upsetting the applecart, we wouldn't get any goodies but maybe things would get sorted out quicker and more effectively...? :wink:

Were things that way, price worth paying IMHO

I know there's a general feeling of 'why doesn't somebody do something!!' - but realistically, there's no point in shouting at Modaco to do anything. Afterall, this is only a discussion forum! :wink:

Sure, the mods of the forum are in touch with Orange about various things (& I think this forum has been very representative of the views of users when it comes to voicing concerns with the network providers) - but there's nothing anybody can do about it except the people who are responsible for it at Orange!

I'm the first person to get on the forum crying about the latest problem with Orange - but the only people who can do anything are Orange themselves, so my complaints on the forum are for discussion, & the information of other users. I actually complain to Orange themselves. It doesn't make me very popular with 156 or tech support - but if I've got a problem, I'll complain to the people who can do something.

So, get on the phone to Orange & harass them. It won't achieve anything, but you'll probably feel better! :wink:

P.S. I'm a bit concerned at the amount of people who are now saying that everything is cool with smartphone development because the e200/OS2003 are here. That doesn't mean that Orange can just ignore the large amount of people who have e100 or SPV. There are still major bugs in the phone which everybody is well aware of, & this update has been discussed here for a long time - discussions including the Head of handset development for Orange - so it is fair for users to expect that the update would be released by now.

No one ever got anywhere from being silent, and besides which (although its fast becoming restricted: Pres Bush is a ****) at the moment this IS a free country.

My point is that this is the first time in a long while that I can actually say I feel proud to be a British citizen. I refer to the miriad of remarks from all concerned whom have added their bit to this particular thread : Re: 1.6 Update when?

Whether I have agreed with them or not....This IS a bloody brilliant website.

nixy

Guest mantrac

The trouble is that the Smartphone OS keeps getting developed with a PC in mind... "Have a general memory and processor pool where all applications tap into for resources so that they can run"...

This is all nice but way too simple for solid state devices that have limited memory and are sharing their CPU cycles with time-critical operations such as alerting the user to an incoming phonecall.

It is unacceptable for my phone to be unable to ring because some background application is using up all the CPU cycles while my phone is sitting idle for more than two hours (not to mention that the light keeps coming on as a result of that, eating up my battery!!)

I would go as far as comparing the Symbians with the iPods...

The iPod isn't a particularly impressive MP3 player in terms of features but it scores 101% in reliability and usability.

The Jukebox from Creative Labs on the other hand is the dogs b*ll***s in terms of features but is only 50% as easy to use and at the end of the day, they are both mostly used for one thing, which is to play music (never mind all of the Jukebox's other fancy features)...

Get my point? My head hurts... Anyone up for a pint?

Guest morpheus2702
I don't think we're afraid to speak out when Orange have done wrong...
GPRS fixed? Better but not solved great. Orange in the wrong? Yes.

MSN working? No. Orange in the wrong? Yes.

E100 on ROM 1.5 battery life any better? No. Orange in the wrong? Yes

1.6 update here? No. Mods doing anything but saying the beta is great? No. Orange dragging their heels? Yes. Orange in the wrong? Yes.

Just how wrong does something have to be for people to stop saying "be patient?"

Afterall, this is only a discussion forum!

I thought it was a forum that Orange took note of? If all we were here to day was idly nitter-natter, I'd bring my knitting! :wink:

I'm a bit concerned at the amount of people who are now saying that everything is cool with smartphone development because the e200/OS2003 are here

Very well said that man!

I thought it was a forum that Orange took note of?

I think it is, and they do!

They're probably all sitting around reading this right now, laughing heartily, while sneakily fingering their e200's, or playing with their 1.6 ROM e100's!! :lol: ;)

"1.6 Update when?"

YES , When ????????????????????????? midle november , but 2003, 2004 ?? 20XX , 2XXX ??????

Orange ??? Wake up ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! :evil:

Chill people. I am getting well annoyed that the update is taking ages knowing the test version has been out for a while.

Yes, there appear more positive calls about O, considering O has always been slated (often for right reasons). But signs of cooperation with O are in my opinion rather positive, especially in long run: whether it is O considering the flaming criticism more carefuly or feeding some interesting information, for example.

All that hopefully on time, NOT like the 1.6 update!! It is indeed hard to beleive the testing phase is really taking that long.

Guest FrankSpencer

Just got off the phone with Orange. They said they still cannot give an exact time but... The bloke she spoke to in another department said he'd been told 4-5 weeks 2 weeks ago... so that's 2-3 weeks. Hmmm... getting tempted to try one of those other updates.

Q: Which is (currently) the best non-orange update to go for?

Q: Will I be able to switch to the orange 1.6 update when it's available?

Cheers guys...

Guest morpheus2702

I am sure that you could steal the chair of the average OCS person with them sitting on it.

I've been using the iMate 1.5 update for months. Absolutely no hassle, working SMS counter, vastly improved battery life. You lose the Orange update and weblinks, but no big loss.

Only thing against it is that because it alters the radio stack, you can't revert to the older 1.3.5 ROM should you want to.

Don't know how this would affect going to the 1.6 update, but I wouldn't have thought so.

Oh, welcome to the site too!

Your link shows an empty page with just this comment :

"Thank you for completing the form.

Your details will be processed shortly"

Good idea though, if you can't convince em, annoy em :twisted:

Guest spacecowboy6982

Do you think we should email them the thread, just to alert them how they've really let down their loyal customers and how they're treatment has caused a bit of an uproar?! Its pretty dreadful how ive had to get myself an E-200 just so Ive got a Smartphone that works !! Lets face it guys, this update is going to come out start of December if we're lucky and even then, will it fix everything we hoped it would ?

spacecowboy

Guest morpheus2702

Cowboy, what do Orange or HTC care that you've had to buy an E200 to get a working Smartphone? They are laughing all the way to the bank!

Buy yourself a P900 on O2 and then they would notice.

To quote John Doe (Kevin Spacey) in Se7en: "Getting people's attention is no longer a matter of tapping them on the shoulder. Smash them in the face with a baseball bat and then you will find you have their strict attention."

Never truer in this case! :wink:

Guest spacecowboy6982
They are laughing all the way to the bank!

Yeh, they bloody are, and I hate them for it. :evil: However, me buying a Symbian based phone is like grassing up my best mate - I just couldn't do it. UIQ .v. WM2k3, theres just no competition IMO. Microsoft Smartphones are the way forward in Mobile Technology which is why Ive bought the E-200, but it doesnt mean Im not going to stop fighting for that 1.6 update, which we've been promised for such a long time now. Orange MUST get their act together! Maybe when we see O2 launch over here, they MIGHT just start to value their customers.

We'll all know that when an update is released for the E-200 sooner than the 1.6 - we've lost :lol:

spacecowboy

Right - sent a nice, friendly email! :wink:

Although, the last time I emailed Orange CS (twice) I got no reply ever! I think the only sensible thing that has ever been said here about Orange is that they are laughing away to themselves while they take our money, & listen to us cry about their sh**y service!! :evil:

None of it will make any difference at all - the only thing anyone can do is annoy Orange to make themselves feel better. At the end of the day, we'll sit here update-less until Orange decide to release it, & there isn't a goddamn thing we can do about it. Even if you do cancel your contract & move to O2/Voda/whatever - all you hear from other networks is pretty much worse than Orange, so - whadda you do??

If it was up to me, then we would take up arms against the state & mobile phone networks ... round 'em up, put 'em in a field, & bomb the ba**ards!!!! :lol: ;) But it's difficult to get support in the kind of numbers needed to effectively remove the government, & storm the head offices of Orange - "OK, take us to your updates!!" :(