1.6 Update when?

Guest theodotcom

damned, sorry for my language, i'm starting to get a little pissed....

15 nov ... nothing

24 nov ... nothing

january then ???????????

why the delay ?

wtf, for me as a system administrator knowing there is a solution and to be able to ....................

Guest Richie M
As soon as I have a clear date on the release of 1.6 you'll be the first to know. As I have alreasy said I'm going to Taiwan on monday to get an update on the official release date. This is dependant on the build passing both internal tests as well as Microsofts official tests (NSTL).

Taken from this thread http://smartphone.modaco.com/viewtopic.php?t=96940

Guest morpheus2702

My O is going out to HTC today to check on some things, which include the 1.6 Update.

Even if it passes all the certification, just how quickly could Orange deploy the update?

I've asked my mum for the update as my Christmas present.

please could you ask your mum if she can get me one too. :lol:

Just goes to show how screwed up this Orange update situation really is. When you stop to consider that so much was said on this and other forums (and I for one learned the hard way not to take anything told to me from an Orange rep or operator too seriously) and also directly from operators etc.....about middle of november and now we hear from this Orange chap....(wouldnt have his job if mylife depended on it!!!) that he is off abroad as part of something else to do with the update..........you have to laugh......

(I just want my msn messengerto work..thats all)

nixy

I agree m8!

I just think it's weird how we are told regularly that this forum is viewed by Orange staff on a regular basis, & Mr. Orange is here in an official capacity - & then the 1.6 update situation is allowed to spiral into myth & rumour about release dates.

This forum is an ideal way for Orange to COMMUNICATE with their users. If there had been regular (ish) information coming from an official source about this update, I reckon there would have been much less moaning about it! (Even if that info had been "sorry, we are not releasing it yet because ... please hang on a bit longer ... we understand users have issues but we assure you that this is a priority ...").

Most people have just got annoyed coz their phones are full of bugs, & you get told (by orange) that an update will be available mid-november, & then just silence!! :evil:

It's good to talk!! :lol:

Guest unclelimey

i think if anybody wants to get a job in orange, the main job requirement is to be completely useless ...

i have just about lost patience with them, everytime i contact them.. albeit to do with this update or and other problems , i come off the phone feeling annoyed at orange, in fact i have now taken to not bothering to call them anymore... its almost a certainty that they will not be able to help me regardless of the problem, so i dont waste my time trying.

with regard to this update, i have never seen such a badly organised bunch of crap in my working life, all the other companies have sorted out their updates .

no offence to paul and some of the moderators, but i think giving you 1.6 to test was a bad idea, because now the people with power outside of orange have got their update and are in no real urgency to get this whole pathetic shambles sorted.

i for one will not be upgrading to another orange service and will most definately be moving to another operator

the futures bright???

more like the futures a joke with orange!

EDIT... just got off the phone with orange before i wrote the above... maybe i was a bit harsh, just sounding off my frustrations.... much calmer now :wink:

Posted from my SmartPhone!

Am in total agreement with you mate.

I was talking with missus last night. She began looking at it another way.

That iif say we bought an electronics item from somewhere such as Argos. Got it home and say after a few weeks it either develops a fault etc.....you would expect a replacement to be sent out or to be able to have one of equal or similar value and deign.....you get the point.

Okay.....so if Orange were like the company they like to be portrays as.....blah blah.....would it not be in there interest to have either gotthis sorted within a say 30 day period or offered EVERY SPV E100 of x an replacement that worked. nd that would hav to be the new phone version E200.

We dont think that is too muh to expect from any tpe of company.

30 days is I think more than enough time to rectify a problem of this or similar nature.

And to be honest I think it just goes to show how much spin and crap certain companies spout out via there expenive advertiising campagnes etc etc etc.

(I am trying to feed my 8 month old sick daughter so excuse the mistakes in typing etc_)

nixy

Guest spacecowboy6982
i for one will not be upgrading to another orange service and will most definately be moving to another operator

Believe it or not, but Orange are actually one of the best networks out there, worst being Vodafone. I have experience with both and can tell you Orange, despite their lacking in customer service advice, are probably the best. Vodafone dont have a bloody clue - trust me :x

spacecowboy

Guest statscat
i think if anybody wants to get a job in orange, the main job requirement is to be completely useless ...  

Posted from my SmartPhone!

thats for managers .......

seriously though I think the problem lies in the fact that only person allowed to post officially fromOrange is Mr Orange and he is not onvolved with every single aspect of the phone (with the best will in the world he can't be).

I agree its pants waiting and is made worse by the complete lack of coherent information, I like to think there are people trying to make a change but they will no doubt be of the minion rank rather than manager rank and so will get no where very quickly.

If this will be my decision I could post Update now! But as u can imagine there is always one person who decide about this - and he says "not yet".

I belive must be some reason behind this. :?:

But IF u wish to keep offend more then 10.000 emploee of Orange around the world .. it's up to u - but do not ask for help when the time come. :!:

N.

Guest Richie M

If you read back, I have given you all the information we know, i have kept saying Orange do not know the release as yet and i've asked time and time again for people to stop posting rumoured dates because its not helping.

I know Paul asks Mr Orange virtually everyday for a release date, therefore as soon as Orange know we will know and post it :lol:

I used to dislike BTCellnet having experienced first hand thow naff they were. But now its been repackaged into 02 and is now nolonger owned by BT...I am tempted to look at them as serious option. we have 16 registered mobile phones in this house and 2 are contratct. I have the overall say atthe end of the day and I am definatey chewing this matter over.

I very much agree with the last point that Orange are a damn good company on the whole.

But, at the end of the day; we ARE talking about a problem with the actual product that is causing it to not function accordingly. And to top that off the treatment I have been reading about on this forum recently when people have phoned up for information is damn appalling. The fact that no one atOrange apart from that mr.orange chap (mmmm!!??) has any decent and trustworthy dates or help is discusting.

I cant believe that instead of sorting this out somehow, user have been forced to opt to throwing themselves at Orange feet and having to resort to the threatof leaving JUST to try and get fair deal with a new E200 handset that doeswhat we bought this E100 for.

I digress....

nixy

Guest dbcohen
If you read back, I have given you all the information we know, i have kept saying Orange do not know the release as yet and i've asked time and time again for people to stop posting rumoured dates because its not helping.

I know Paul asks Mr Orange virtually everyday for a release date, therefore as soon as Orange know we will know and post it :lol:

Richie,

Perhaps a better Modaco policy in future then would be to cancel any threads on the update release date (such as this one) and post a sticky or news item with the latest info, as you have it.

As board moderators, you do have the power to stop the idle gossip, eh?

The problem is, unless one reads every post from every thread, your message (and that of Orange) does not come across to the general readership.

I would also add that there have been several threads (including one from Paul) that have gone chapter and verse over how good each part of the update is - sometime before it was even supposed to be released. Perhaps in future you privileged few who get these things direct from Orange might keep the comments far less specific until you have a firm release date.

The issue now is that these threads, combined with the release date speculation threads, and the news now coming out that there are issues with e200s (bugs, joysticks etc.) has created a massive demand for the update. As such frustration abounds.

Guest morpheus2702

Hear hear - locking this thread along with the other 1.6 thread in News would save a lot of bandwidth. At least amalgamate the two into a single thread as the content is much the same.

That thing about the E200 joystick cracked me up! I was playing with one at the weekend and was thinking 'stuff the 1.6 update'. Then I came to my senses - I'll wait for the E300 thank you very much!

The mods might be doing lots behind the scenes but no one is keeping your members up to date what is going on --maybe a lock thread where Mods can write in with an update--- "asked mr orange today about the update he still didnt know and wouldent tell me why" kinda thing.

Guest spacecowboy6982

Like most things, yes it will. Such a sophisitcated and new OS is bound to. Especially when HTC testing isn't exactly up to scratch.

Tell you what guys - we're the best bug-testers in the whole god-damned mobile industry :lol:

spacecowboy

my god.........just imagine life in a few years time......."SPV E500 special edition smartphone now with improved artificial intelegent engine...." WITH BUILT IN AUTO ROM UPDATER......

Mmm... very sensible I think!! I don't like seeing posts here complaining about why the moderators of Modaco don't do more - while most of us do consider Paul, Richie, Mono, Midnight etc. to be gods - THEY DON'T WORK FOR BL**DY ORANGE, SO THEY CAN'T RELEASE THE BL**DY UPDATE THEMSELVES!!!! :evil: :evil:

I do however agree that the amount of posts about the update have been so vast & varied that it's difficult after a certain point to ascertain what is actual information, & what is just rumour. The fault for that situation lies entirely I feel with Orange. The fact that there has been absolutely no coherent information has led to confusion & frustration - & I'm sure alot of that has been for the moderators too!

I think it's sad that people here feel the need to get at the mods because they already have the update - but I do understand the frustration that is leading people to feel this way. I agree with the thoughts above, that the threads should be locked, & instead a sticky post made with actual real info from Orange. Although, this would clearly only be practical in the event of info from Orange being forthcoming.

Personally, I have found this whole situation quite embarrassing. I have had my phone for nearly a year, it has been full of bugs, & the fixes have not been available. The service from Orange has been poor, & the company creates an impression among users that they couldn't care less. & now with the amount of problems being identified already with the e200, it would seem that Orange have again failed to listen to users, & gone ahead with a product which is unsatisfactory. Also, the fact that several things with the e200 (app unlocking mainly) which were promised in pre-sales literature, have not been lived up to - again reinforcing the view that Orange will just tell you what they think you want to hear, & then just go ahead & let you down again.

No harm to Mr. Orange (I'm sure he's a very busy man), but the fact is that in joining the forum, there was a bit of a fuss made about how we now had an official Orange representative. The ensuing situation over the update has shown that having official Orange representation has made no difference at all. A fact that I have to say I find embarrassing from the company's point of view. I'm not getting at Mr. Orange personally (I'm sure he's not responsible for the update) but the fact still remains that one of the main reasons for any frustration about the update has been total lack of communication. It only does more to reinforce the impression Orange create for themselves that they couldn't care less as long as we keep paying our bills.

Oh, & I have also heard that Orange are meant to be the best company for customer service - but 2 mates of mine here on Vodaphone have never had any reason to call their CS because their phones have never had any major, unsolved problems. Now, I know which of those situations I would prefer!! Also, I can't really understand how Orange have got their status as best for CS. I mean, what we are talking about is people referring to 'opinion polls'. I worked for a market research company a while ago in which a survey was done (on behalf of Vodaphone) which showed Vodaphone to be the best (suprise, suprise). I wonder if the poll in which Orange came top was on behalf of Orange??

Lies, damn lies & statistics!!

Right now, the p900 on Vodaphone is looking pretty damn good to me! :wink:

At the end of the day, if someone is going to be given ahead of its release date a much needed product update....and that they are being given the said update for testing purposes..then surely its understandable that spv owners/forum visitors are going to rely on them when the products company itself remains so quite...I know I am.

Can you blame the felt frustrations of the masses when all they have to go on is hearsay....the odd few words from Dear Sweet old Mr.Orange, the odd bit of speculation....and the promices of several frustrated customer service and telephone operators.

So isnt it only natural for us all at some point to get a wee bit flustered under the circustances and go to the only source we all trust....MoDaCo

nixy

Guest mantrac

Lovely people!!

I think we need to make a small but rather important distinction here between Orange and the hardware it sells...

Orange UK as a mobile communications network is definitely among the best in the world with innovative services that are usually released on their network first (remember HSCSD?, Video telephony? etc.)

Their customer service again, as far as network services are concerned, is reliable and efficient... (certainly when compared to Vodafone!).

I never had any problems with Orange UNTIL I made the mistake of my life and went ahead and bought that stupid SPV brick...

Ever since that day, I've wasted endless hours talking to their tech supp., have memorised the entire playlist of their hold music and have even spoken to the same people two or three times...

It was a mistake of Orange to assume the role of hardware maker/support for the SPV because they are simply not equipped to do it!

They use inexperienced and untrained technical support staff for a product as complicated as the SPV (the same people would deal with something as *complicated* as to explain how to send an SMS in the pre-SPV era!).

Orange also seem to do very little (if any at all) in-house software development for that phone.

As a result of this, they rely on divine intervention from Microsoft (who seem to have long-abandoned this platform for WM2k3) and large-scale guesswork to estimate when something as simple as a character counter (a 2-day job for anyone with basic C++ knowledge!) will be implemented on their SMS tool...

Let's be realistic, Orange screwed up big-time with the SPV and E200 seems to be firmly following its steps...

I trust Orange as my mobile phone network but in no way do I trust them to sell me and support a mobile phone, partially maintained by them.

I will continue being an Orange customer but I will never buy a Smartphone OS device until people like my father own one (which means that everyone owns one!).

Until then, I'll go back to brands I trust, like SE and Nokia... They've never failed me and contrary to the SPV, they do exactly what they say on the box!