Update on the 1.6 Build

Guest Mr Orange

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

The I-Mate update, i'm not sure. If i get chance i'll test it and see (i have a full SD backup of an Orange ROM). However as it seems to be the radio stack that was causing issues in the past, and that this update has a new GSM ROM, i would hope/assume you can upgrade to Orange 1.6 from I-mate 1.5.

Space maker: similar to SMS tools, but with a few added extras (clear email from specific folders, call history, voice notes etc).

nytehawk: Assuming you have an Orange e100 that is the ROM version shipped with new handsets. A semi working update to the original UK update.

Guest awarner [MVP]
FAO. Mr Orange / Paul & other Mods.

Does the update leave your IPSM in tact, or do you have to do a http://smartphone.MoDaCo.com/viewtopic.php?p=97945#97945>Hard Reset :?:  

Andy (Mr Orange) told me at the meet that the next update would erase your IPSM, but they were looking into some kind of PC based back up and restore :?:  

Thanks

Simon

Yes it does :) but that's not a bad thing.

Guest krankie

Question regarding GPRS speed.

After the first UK upgrade a lot of users reported a drop in speed of GPRS connections on their SPVs. (I've just done a test on mine and got a pathetic 12kbps at 11pm!)

What sort of speeds can we expect after the upgrade?

Guest krankie
Posted from my SmartPhone!

eh...sorry for sounding stupid, but what is meant by: radio stack: no more dialling !?!?

That'll be the error where the phone frequently hangs at the 'Dialling ...' stage whilst trying to establish a GPRS connections. Sounds like it has been fixed with this upgrade :)

I'll have 2003 by the time this comes out, so i could really care less about it, but it is cool they are releasing it for the non-upgrading folks. Last i heard they scrapped it.

Enless there is a major hardware incompatibility issue, I think they should offer the 2002->2003 upgrade but make people pay for it (similar to any new version of windows). If they charged a good $25-50 for it, they would make a nice profit and make the people who are too wussy to get a new phone happy. :- D

I see no reason (assuming the hardware is sufficient/compatible which is a big assumption!) that should stop MS releasing Windows Mobile 2003 as a paid upgrade, just like Windows 2000 to XP. We'll have to wait and see!

Guest nytehawk2002

I did some more research and it turns out my SPV has the Switzerland firmware found on orange.co.ch

Still Any clue as to 1.6 being Carrier locked?

hi all, great to hear about improvement on GPRS. Anyone can confirm it is all fine to upgrade to 1.6 from Eurotel? btw, i also think OS 2003 should be made available soon or later if technically ok. And yes why not pay sth for it as long as 1.6 works properly. Posted from my SmartPhone!

Guest vadonald
I see no reason (assuming the hardware is sufficient/compatible which is a big assumption!) that should stop MS releasing Windows Mobile 2003 as a paid upgrade, just like Windows 2000 to XP. We'll have to wait and see!

I agree with you on this, after all a new opertating system requires a new license - therefore you need to pay for it. One thing I'm not sure about is if you could upgrade to 2003 unless its provided by Orange - i.e. do Orange need to add their stuff on top, or is that just a few XMLs?

From what has been said so far, it looks like 1.6 will be a good update, well worth doing.

Vince

Guest Richie M
Question regarding GPRS speed.

After the first UK upgrade a lot of users reported a drop in speed of GPRS connections on their SPVs.  (I've just done a test on mine and got a pathetic 12kbps at 11pm!)

What sort of speeds can we expect after the upgrade?

Yep, GPRS speed seems to back :)

I've managed to stream audio at 20kbps with 1 signal bar with no pauses :(/

Guest Maverick

Can the mods tell O that everything is perfectly fine with the 1.6 update :wink: :) , so that we, mere mortals, can have it sooner. :twisted: :idea: :!:

any differences in the menu navigation, i.e. the use of back button when viewing sms or the inbox & getting put straight back out to home screen?

cheers,

wezza

Guest Richie M
any differences in the menu navigation, i.e. the use of back button when viewing sms or the inbox & getting put straight back out to http://smartphone.MoDaCo.com/viewtopic.php?t=714>home screen?

cheers,

wezza

Er it all depends how you get into the inbox :?

If you go in via the homescreen pressing back takes you back to the homescreen (as it should).

If you go in via the Programs menu pressing back takes you back to the Programs menue (as it should).