Update on the 1.6 Build

Guest Mr Orange

Guest nytehawk2002

Here's a better thing to vent your frustration on while waiting. Will someone who has this update already installed figure out how to sim-free the phone once it's applied? There's a few people out there (me being one of them) with an SPV here in the states on T-Mobile using a T-Mobile sim and would appreciate... Nay.. Sacrifice our firstborn for a better radio stack due to lousy reception in our home areas. And no.. I know this is a problem with my SPV because if I go back to my :gasp: Nokia the signal is higher.

Guest Paul [MVP]

The signal may be higher, but is it actually better?

It's an acknowledged fact that the calibration on manufacturers scales varies.

With regards to SIM unlocking, yes, it can be done!

P

Posted from my SmartPhone!

Thats true u can have 1 bar at your mobile with signal -92dbm and u can have 2 bars with other operator - everythynk can be set by manufa. or operator. To be able to see real signal level u need network monitor Posted from my SmartPhone!

Guest Pagemakers
"]The current method will NOT work with the new bootloader...

P

What can we do then Paul?

I need to sell my E100 real soon and it would help if it worked on any network :lol:

Guest awarner [MVP]

With the new update the phone should still be SIM unlocked if you have previously done this but I cannot confirm this at the moment.

As for SIM unlocking you still have the option to pay Orange for the code.

Guest nytehawk2002

As far as signal quality goes... I've experienced that my SPV won't even place a call if it's under 2 bars.

As far as the unlock.. The new firmware should come with a new bootloader... I'm guessting something higher than 1.04 so the previous methods of unlocking may not work.

And seeing that I'm here in the states... and not an Orange customer I'm sure they wouldn't be happy about telling me how to unlock it once I do the upgrade...

Er it all depends how you get into the inbox :?

If you go in via the http://smartphone.MoDaCo.com/viewtopic.php?t=714>homescreen pressing back takes you back to the http://smartphone.MoDaCo.com/viewtopic.php?t=714>homescreen (as it should).

If you go in via the Programs menu pressing back takes you back to the Programs menue (as it should).

i meant when you are viewing a message and then press back, instead of going back to the inbox, you go to the home screen again

Guest Pagemakers

But you have to pay off all your remaining line rental until your contract runs out.

Matt

Oh! They didn't mention about that. I will call again.

.....Just called them and you're right. You must pay off all your contract first :evil:

Guest chucky.egg
So who is seriously expecting this update to appear on the 15th?

Hoping, but not really expecting.

I miss Messenger! GPRS dialing I can live with, but I need a Messenger client!

Guest vadonald
So who is seriously expecting this update to appear on the 15th?

I wasn't here the last time an update was imminent, so what happened then?

There was dozens of MoDaCo members checking the Orange site about once every 2 seconds from midnight onwards - the thread was about 50 pages long (oh stop exagerating), and 7 (possibly more) people were on the point of suicide cos the update didn't appear till mid-late afternoon.

At least with so many people desperate to get the update, if there are any problems, you will probably find out before you perform the update yourself.

Well done to the mods & Mr Orange in keeping your cool and keeping us well informed (IMHO) of the improvements and when its likely to appear.

Remember, its only a phone.

Vince

Guest morpheus2702

Hmm, is saying 'imminent' an indication of being well-informed? I dunno...

What I am getting at is that there is absolutely nothing on the rest of the web about exactly when this update is going to appear, aside from the mention of the 15th November.

I would have thought that there would have been a greater buzz on here and other sites, which I can only assume there was last time?

Guest spacecowboy6982

The buzz on here last time was awesome ! I couldn't believe I was actually getting all excited about some update. But when the 1.6 gets posted in the "News" section, its a fact that evreone will just go nuts ! Its kind of a mad dash to see who can get it to work first and report back with whats hot and whats soooo not :lol:

As far as release dates are concerned, I've had enough dissapointment from Orange in the past (as we all have in some way or another) and have learned not to expect anything software/harware wise, until its there for the taking ;)

spacecowboy

Guest Richie M
i meant when you are viewing a message and then press back, instead of going back to the inbox, you go to the home screen again

Already answered this on Page 10 Wez ;)

If you are viewing a message and then press back it takes you back to the inbox :lol:

Guest Richie M

As for the release date of the update, AFAIK Orange havent given an official release date therefore i dont know where the 15th November came from :?

AFAIK Orange are expecting to be able to release this Mid to late November, but it all depends how long the certification signing takes (which is unfortunately out of Oranges hands)

Guest stevewright

Ah yes, dissapointments from Orange: I think this is why they don't give an official forthcoming release date for, well, anything be it software / hardware. Answer? So they don't give themselves a target which they'll break.

Imagine if 2 or 3 weeks ago they'd said - "Sorry about Messenger not working, but on the 15th of November there's a whole new update coming out". Then, come the 16th (and no update) they'd be bombarded with phone calls and complaints - from us!

This way, when it does eventually come out - we suddenly all forget the waiting and get on with installing it! It's win win for them, and wait wait for us.

Guest morpheus2702

My point is the lack of forward buzz on the update, which suggests to me that this update is no-where near appearing?

Anyone remember how many times we were told the 1.5 update was almost with us?

Richie - Orange themselves say mid-November for the MSN fix on their website, and Orange personnel on this site have mentioned 15th November numerous times.

If the E100 had a decent battery life out-of-the-box, or connected to GPRS reliably, or if I could use Messenger, then I wouldn't give two hoots about this update. But call me Mr. Pinickity... :roll: