Entry: UPDATED: Media Player Home Plugin

Guest orangewinger

Guest Ron Jeremy

You want to watch what you post "Statscat", comments like that are patently untrue and totally uncalled for. All of DAT's custom homescreen applications are written from scratch.

In the case of AT&T your facts aren't even straight. DAT wrote the M-Mode plugin with mouse overs for AT&T, that plugin was built into the AT&T homescreen by an entirely removed 3rd party....where is the code nicking from Orange? What is it you think was ripped? I'm happy to answer, but I can assure you if we needed a hand we'd gone right out and mailed you 'cos we know who you are too!!

LOL ROFL

ROFL LOL

Sorry I find that funny ........................

DAT have copied all of Orange's http://smartphone.MoDaCo.com/viewtopic.php?t=714>plugins from the SPV and E100 and sold them on to At&T (sorry Orange winger I know you work for DAT) and those http://smartphone.MoDaCo.com/viewtopic.php?t=714>plugins were copyrighted and there wasn't a lot that happened there so I guess is free game as long as the xml is differrent.

You can't stop back engineering. Yeah its crap when it happens, and its even crappier when you still have to work with the low lifes that do it. I am not saying its right but I am saying that you're not the first to be "back engineered" and you won't be the last.

Guest orangewinger

Now, getting back to the Prize for Innovation here is my supporting statement for why this application should win as suggested in the guidelines.

Innovation - the process of adopting a new thing, idea, or behavior pattern into a culture.

And what can be more innovative than introducing a new method to control something which some of us use frequently on our phones?

The Smartphone is a very powerful phone albeit with a few functionality holes, which gives developers like me a chance to try and plug them. One such hole that I found was controlling Media Player after you have locked the phone's keypad (which returns to the homescreen) and then unlocking it again, like if you hear a train announcement and want to pause the music.

So why not be able to control Media Player from the homescreen was my thought, so I wrote a plugin to do it! And the plugin has now developed into a graphically customisable plugin, which makes the Smartphone even smarter!

:lol:

David Lee

(Orangewinger)

• 2 weeks later...

I get the freezing bug as mentioned above, but on an SPV (Original). Maybe it was reacting with another plugin from this section - like the homeswitcher - or maybe I'm doing something wrong?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest PritenC

I've been using it on the original SPV, and this is brilliant!! No problems at all!!

Great job!!

I know your busy tweaking it to get rid of the bugs, but an upgrade you could do (if possible) is to have the track title scrolling accross the plug-in when it is playing, and have it say "Windows Media" when it isn't!!

But all in all, this is great!!

Thanks!

Guest vijay555

Has anyone noticed any battery life issues with this plugin?

BTW, the plugin is great, love it!

However, i normally get a few days battery out of my imate 1.5 tanager, but since i installed the plugin i'm barely getting 2 days. Just wondering if anyone else noticed anything similar?

Thanks again orangewinger!

If i may ask tho, how exactly are you controlling media player? window_messages, spoofed keycodes or something altogether more wonderful?

V

Guest scott2eyes

This sounds like the plugin I have been praying for...

Or at least, it would be if it wasn't for the MPX problem.

:cry:

Ah well- nice work orangewinger, and good luck with the bug fixing!

:wink:

Guest Thurstan

Would anyone be good enough to tell me how I would get this to work with the normal Orange homescreen on an E200. Bear in mind I know nothing about xml and am pretty dense when it comes to anything to do with plugins etc!

Thanks in advance

Posted from my SmartPhone!

Guest Thurstan

Would anyone be good enough to tell me how I would get this to work with the normal Orange homescreen on an E200. Bear in mind I know nothing about xml and am pretty dense when it comes to anything to do with plugins etc!

Thanks in advance

Posted from my SmartPhone!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest thriftynomad

Wonderful plugin, increases WMP usefulness by about 100 fold... i've just got 2 little issues that crop up when putting it into my custom skin.

If I use the "new style" XML at the top of this thead, my xml won't show up in the Home Screens menu. I've seen this mentioned a couple of times in this thread, but never addressed. Is there something simple that is causing this not to work?

When I use the "old style" XML, everything works fine, except when I try to use a rollover image, I just get the WMP icon over a plain white area where the image should be... the plugin still works fine, it just looks like it doesn't find the specified image. I've tried relative and specific paths, both from /IPSM/ and from the Application Directory... I'm using the release 3 posted in this thread. Here's the code... any chance of a helping hand?

<plugin clsid="{22CF74AC-E022-4c2d-BCE0-FBA9FB53BEFA}" name ="WMP_plugin" height="25">

<background>

<format state="unselected" bgcolor="transparent" fgcolor="#C0D477" /> 

<format state="selected" bgimage="clarissa-wmp.jpg" x="0" y="0" height="25" w="100" align="left" fgcolor="#C0D477" font-weight="bold" />

</background> 

</plugin>

A solution to either one of these problems would set me right... and would be hugely appreciated!!

cheers and TIA,

Greg

Greg

Guest shane99

Hi!

I would like to play a file with mediaplayer on smartphone without the media player screen comming up. What parameter do I have to user? (I suppose wmplayer on home screen uses these params too).

Thanks in advance!

Been playing with this plugin for some time. Very nice! I like the skin'ability too.

The only problem is that my joystick is well... a little buggered, so I sometimes by accident press action or right and end up waiting for WMP to appear.

Confirm WMP launch? Only launch WMP on Action press? Shame double clicks are not in fashion in high tech :)

• 1 month later...
Guest rdordonz

This is an awesome idea; however, it seems to freeze my MPx200 every time I activate it. Furthermore, the "playing" icon doesn't even show up. :) Anything I can do to help with this?

• 3 months later...
Guest SuperCharger

I am also affected by this hanging bug, I have a decerted mio8380. I have managed to step by step go through the plugins to see and the problem is in the MP Home.cab plugin. it would cause my phone to crash even before I installed this potentially great theme. also for some reason I am unable to install the rjshortcut plugin, anyone help out with this?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Guest nickcornaglia

I believe this plugin has a memory leak. I like it's functionality...but watch your available memory drop while the plugin is running on your homescreen. It also did not allow my phone to shut down properly while it was running. When I had a different homescreen running. Everything was fine. When the WMP plugin was running....Kaput!!!

Be careful! :)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest scott2eyes

If you're seeing a "_setup" file, then you've unzipped it- there's no need to do this. Just copy the CAB file to your phone, and run it from there. (If you put it in Storage/Windows/Start Menu, then it will appear in the Start menu.)

• 2 months later...
Guest mkent_barbados

I've got an SP3i with WMP10 on it and the plugin does not work, says 'MSWMPLAYER' cannot be found. Could I edit the registry and fix this? Thanks for any advice!

Edited by mkent_barbados