Updated 17/11: Paul's E200 Review

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul [MVP]
But I would like to ask (as an SPV newbee  :wink:  )... what software would you recommend installing additionally?

I think I may (also) install some sort of divx player, since I love the fact I would be able to play some of my dvd material. Very cool!

I have to admit to not really watching video on my device, but PocketMVP (DivX) and PocketTV (MPEG) are your options on that front.

With regards to what additional software I ALWAYS install on a new device, Developer One Power Tasks and SmartphoneNotes are a must for me, as is Binarys Smart Explorer.

A nice homescreen (e.g MoDaCo2) and a couple of games (Done in 50 Seconds and Toki Tori are great, as are Muff's games, and look out for Kumite coming soon - a game by which all others will be measured), and you are good to go :lol:

P

Guest Paul [MVP]
hi Paul,you said the phone had fullmidi support, does that mean the quality is better?

If so, how does it compare to Nokia (poor quality ringer sound), Samsungs (good) and SE T610(very good) phones?

The quality is MUCH better than before, for all sounds, even the SMS alert etc.

As regards comparisons to others, I don't have any other polyphonic phones to hand, but i'll have some soon!

P

Guest spark-x

dam, my old phones screen just died so i need to buy something today, might get that t610 on orange pay as you go, its £150 but some people are still buying them on ebay for £170 second hand.... then sell it when e200 arrives.

sx

No auto Bluetooth? What is it with developers and common sense? :oops:

An ideal application of BT is to use it in conjunction with a BT headset. But without auto BT switching the SPV battery is going to empty pretty fast.

On a phone where battery times are pretty poor at the best of times, this strikes me as being a bit of a faux pas...

Other enhancements on the phone sounds great though. Faster menus and integrated camera are a big plus.

Not impressed that video support hasn't been improved. Looks like third party DIVX players (Pocket MVP) are here for a while longer...

Auto BT Switching, Auto BT Switching, Auto BT Switching, C'mon everybody... Auto BT Switching, Auto BT Switching ... :lol:

Solo

Mobipocket reader ! It's MY favorite .

After all having 21st century doesn't mean we should stop reading books!

In fact it is the best ebook software int he world.

Sam

Guest fwillerup

In outlook I make extensive use of categories to organize my tasks. One of the screen shots in the review, shows a task list but categories are not visible. My question is if the tast category is preserved when synchronizing, and if you can flick through the tasks based on a given category on the phone?

(On PocketPC you just press the physical task button to cycle through the task categories)

Thanks,

/fred

Guest midnight
No auto Bluetooth? What is it with developers and common sense?

i dont see this as a big deal, no doubt a third party app to do this will appear very soon anyways, thats the beauty of the smartphone, (and now with .net), developers can easily make apps for it :lol:

Guest Peter Foot
In outlook I make extensive use of categories to organize my tasks. One of the screen shots in the review, shows a task list but categories are not visible. My question is if the tast category is preserved when synchronizing, and if you can flick through the tasks based on a given category on the phone?

(On PocketPC you just press the physical task button to cycle through the task categories)

Thanks,

/fred

Pocket Outlook does maintain the categories when synchronising with a PC - its just that the built in application does expose them. To view tasks by category you will need a third-party tasks application for this information.

Hi,

does the alarm work when the phone has been switched off or only when it's on? I find this a bit annoying as unless I have a charger by my bed as well as in my office it is liable to run down at weekends unless I turn it off at night. Not sure if this worked in the E100 as I _only_ have a classic, first generation SPV :roll:

cheers!

gus

Guest awarner [MVP]

Unlikely and no it does not work on the E100.

Ther alarm is controlled by the OS and the OS is shut down when the phone

is powered off.

Unlike the PocketPC which just hibernate when you turn them off.

Guest midnight

of course, the solution is to switch the radio off at nights, not quite as good as turning the phone off to conserve battery power, but the next best thing :lol:

Re: Alarm..

thanks for that info... I do switch radio off but often forget to switch that back on first thing in the morning :roll:

If the actual phone was switched off, problem solved as it would wake up with alarm as do many other handsets. Not to worry, but logically it would make sense that your phone could be switched off while you sleep...

Guest spacecowboy6982
32 or 64 MB ROM  :?:

From what Ive seen/heard, the developer E-200 has 64mb flash rom compared to the "jo publics" 32mb :!:

BIG difference,

spacecowboy

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.