Updated 17/11: Paul's E200 Review

Guest PaulOBrien

"]Update 17/11 

Voice record can still be activated by pressing and holding the Camera button. 

A solution for 'Automatic' bluetooth mode will be coming very soon! 

The phone charges in the cradle without the power suppy plugged in (this is a PHONE change, it even works in e100 cradles!) 

This is all great news :lol:

paul, when you say you can record video for 38 odd minutes, is that straight. ie can you leave it recording for that time or is there a maximum time limit for each video?

Guest nickcornaglia

"The phone charges in the cradle without the power suppy plugged in (this is a PHONE change, it even works in e100 cradles!)"

Is this by magic or do you mean thru the USB?

Guest Simon Desser
"The phone charges in the cradle without the power suppy plugged in (this is a PHONE change, it even works in e100 cradles!)"

Is this by magic or do you mean thru the USB?

Encece, have you been in the Pub :?

Guest Simon Desser

Back on topic, Paul said:-

Windows Media - Aside from a new skin, Windows Media is virtually unchanged, with the exception that version 9 codecs are now included (and usable for ringtones)

Have I misunderstood about the codecs :?: I know that WMA's as ringtones is new, but my Tanager plays WMA's made with version 9 codecs, so what's new there :?:

My SPV plays WMAs made with version 9 too!?

Also, do the supplied headphones stay in your ears? I don't know about the E100 but the ones supplied with the SPV always fall out of mine, and I'm fairly sure I'm not alone. Presumably they still use a small jsck so you can't put other headphones in...

hmm... even though its very early morning here, common sense tells me the charge occurs from the USB' plug. So, ya it needs to be plugged in the computer. Posted from my SmartPhone!

Guest sameerabedi

Excellent review - I can't wait to get my hands on one! Just one question - how did u get the phone so early - it's still not available on the website - it only says "Coming Soon". Plus my contract runs out in Dec, do u know how much Orange charge for Upgrading to the E200?

Thanks

Sameer

Guest spacecowboy6982

Lol - Gears @ Coolsmartphone just got delivery of his E-200 too. Its all they deserve, afterall they're not getting paid.

Hats of to them =D>

spacecowboy

Guest clifhanger_uk

Paul, thanks for your hard work and great review - appreciated even for a non-techie :wink:

Couple of questions: I have the original SPV and am on a business plan.. looking fwd to getting the new one next week.

First: Echo; the calling person often complains of an echo. When I call my colleague on his SPV I also get an echo, really bad one - I can often complete a short sentence and then hear it bounce back - Did you experience this issue in your testing?

2nd: Lotus Notes: I currently use Cadenza mNotes (www.commontime.com) to sync with Lotus Notes, do you know if there is any Notes support (stupid question I guess but thought Id ask :roll: )

3rd: Notes browser client: Would like to use IE to browse my email via the web, not possible on current SPV. The notes client has folders down the side and a java applet that launches button along the top.. I guess this wouldnt be supported (frames and java applets).

4th If the IE doesnt have these browser functions do you know if there is a 3rd party browser for the SPV?

5th Shame about the battery - with the new driving laws comming in Id want a BT headset, will the BT auto connect issue come as an official patch do you know or will it be 3rd party.

late add: 6th Copy/Cut and Paste generally - is this generally more availabile in apps other than the adding a contact num from a SMS

Thanks all

p.s. Paul - keep your Bart signature pic - bin Arsenal :lol: (Chelsea's gonna catch ya!)

Guest Paul [MVP]
First: Echo; the calling person often complains of an echo. When I call my colleague on his SPV I also get an echo, really bad one - I can often complete a short sentence and then hear it bounce back - Did you experience this issue in your testing?
No, but then again I didn't experience that on any of my SPVs. Faulty handset perhaps?

2nd: Lotus Notes: I currently use Cadenza mNotes (www.commontime.com) to sync with Lotus Notes, do you know if there is any Notes support (stupid question I guess but thought Id ask :roll: )

LOL! Nice one! Seriously tho, mNotes should work on the e200, but there's no native support (and isn't ever likely to be!).

3rd: Notes browser client: Would like to use IE to browse my email via the web, not possible on current SPV. The notes client has folders down the side and a java applet that launches button along the top.. I guess this wouldnt be supported (frames and java applets).
There's no frames support and no applet support on the e200, so you're a bit stuffed. Your best option there would be try and get IMAP access to your notes mailbox in some way?

4th If the IE doesnt have these browser functions do you know if there is a 3rd party browser for the SPV?

Thunderhawk is under development for SPV, and I know of at least one other 3rd party browser from an established Smartphone developer (although they have not announced this product).

5th Shame about the battery - with the new driving laws comming in Id want a BT headset, will the BT auto connect issue come as an official patch do you know or will it be 3rd party.
I'm writing it!

P

Thanks all

p.s. Paul - keep your Bart signature pic - bin Arsenal :lol: (Chelsea's gonna catch ya!)

Guest clifhanger_uk
"]LOL! Nice one! Seriously tho, mNotes should work on the e200, but there's no native support (and isn't ever likely to be!).

Thanks for the reply mate, but I dont understand this - what do u mean? (sorry Im a bit thick :oops: )

Guest Peter Foot

Thanks for the reply mate, but I dont understand this - what do u mean? (sorry Im a bit thick :oops: )

There is never likely to be support for Lotus Notes built in to the Smartphone operating system - you are going to have to rely on third party tools to interact with a Notes server.

Peter

Why is there no mention in the review of a T9 dictionary for SMS?

Does the E200 have proper T9 where more words can be added during texting if they are not in the default dictionary?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.