Buzzing

Guest Firaas

Mine is so bad that I can hardly even understand the person at the other end. I'm getting it replaced tomorrow but I don't hold out too much hope given what everyone else has said.

Guest rikwebb

Just spoke to O CS about the battery life, bluetooth problems and the buzzzing. Buzzing (rattle) or whatever it is disapeared after a while, mind I was on to them for 50 mins getting passed around.

So - it could be that it improves with call duration (or it seemed to), I will test this out tomorrow.

Oh, by the way, I pointed the MSMobiles article out to him (he owned an E200 too!). Lets hope he makes someone important in Orange aware!

OH THE JOY OF BEING A BETA TESTER !!!

Rik

Guest stu_lowe2003
unfortunatly folks it is because of the new speaker phone, its much louder the the orig. the nokia 6100 has the exact same prob :cry:

Yet the Treo 600 has one of the best speakerphones i have ever used on a mobile and also one of the clearest signals ever (proabably that big chunky antenna). To move between my E200 and my Treo is like having your ears syringed.

Stu

I am so angry!

The sound quality is completely crap!

A tinny rattling/crackling noise is produced- what kind of rubbish is that? It's not as if I am playing a drum and bass tune on the speakerphone that may generate frequencies that a phone speak can't deal with!

The smartphone is no longer capable of performing dumb tasks.

My Moto m300 back in the day had better sound quality than the e200!!!!

I really don't know whether I should keep the phone or not. I received it today and have not even bothered testing its other features. If i can't use it to make a normal phone call, I'm not interested in the other stuff.

How can Orange get away with marketing a sub-standard product?

I will call them in 2 hours and ask for a return.

I might go for the treo.

Guest Thurstan

It's definitely not on all E200s though. I made a call on a mate's and it's really clear.

Think we should have a poll on the buzzing and find out? I'm not sure how to set one up, if someone else wants to do it.

Meanwhile, my one day-old E200 should be replaced tonight....

It's definitely not on all E200s though. I made a call on a mate's and it's really clear.

Think we should have a poll on the buzzing and find out? I'm not sure how to set one up, if someone else wants to do it.

Meanwhile, my one day-old E200 should be replaced tonight....

Im gonna ask for one too then...

and keep doing so until O gets it right, do you agree?!

Guest shrubby

Just got an E200 in the post today, and I get BUZZING as well :lol:

Have phoned up 150, and they are saying that the buzzing should disappear over 3 weeks or so, something about the handset wearing itself in :!:

Don't know if what they said was crap, but I will prob wait a while to see if it gets any better before I ask for a replacement.

Has anyones buzzing suddenly stopped or improved??

Guest Pondrew

Hmmm. Hadn't noticed the buzzing until now. Was thinking to myself that I'd been a lucky one in not having it so decided to double check and call answerphone...

...sure enough, buzzing noise :lol:

Will probably put up with it as my SPV has always been more about Sound Pictures and Video then calls. Maybe it'll help me reduce my monthly bill from the £50+ it currently is! :?

Guest rikwebb

Well, dont know if this sheds any light on the matter, but here goes....

I ahve done some experimenting, and if you stick a small piece of electrical tape over the earpiece (just covering the holes), the sound quality improves 200% !!

Before anyone say's, I know we dont want tape on our phones....

The results lead me to think it could be the design of the earpiece, not the spearker.

Thoughts.....

Rik

Guest Thurstan

Yeah got the new E200... still buzzes. Oh well, will have to put up with it or try the sticky thing.

I've tested another 5 phones since and they're all the same.

Hey Benzo !

It is better when it is noisy! else treo is powred by palm OS and may cause conflicts with outlook...

:evil:

Babill

I am so angry!

The sound quality is completely crap!

A tinny rattling/crackling noise is produced- what kind of rubbish is that? It's not as if I am playing a drum and bass tune on the speakerphone that may generate frequencies that a phone speak can't deal with!

The smartphone is no longer capable of performing dumb tasks.

My Moto m300 back in the day had better sound quality than the e200!!!!

I really don't know whether I should keep the phone or not. I received it today and have not even bothered testing its other features. If i can't use it to make a normal phone call, I'm not interested in the other stuff.

How can Orange get away with marketing a sub-standard product?

I will call them in 2 hours and ask for a return.

I might go for the treo.

Guest leo-balou

I have found a way of stopping the buzzing without tape.

When on a call and the phone is position a small distance from your ear you will hear the buzzing.

Press the phones' earpeice against your ear - VOILA the buzzing stops!!

Of course you will fry your brains by increased microwaves - but what the hell it stops that buzzing!!!

I reckon it has to be a hardware issue with the outer case rattling against the speaker or something.

Guest jason76

how can it be a hardware problem with the speaker

i get the buzz in my earphones aswell.

nearly sent mine back yesterday but gonna keep it

now far too good to send back :lol:

Guest shrubby

Decided against waiting 3 weeks to see if the buzzing sorts itself out, I have ordered a replacement will be here tomorrow, hopefully this one might be better.

Apart from the buzzing, joystick and lack of bluetooth features its a bloody good phone.

If the replacement fails, I think i'll get 2 tins and a piece of string, I here the sound quality is alot better :lol:

Guest Coolboy1982
how can it be a hardware problem with the speaker

i get the buzz in my earphones aswell.

nearly sent mine back yesterday but gonna keep it  

now far too good to send back :lol:

I am not even using the new headset that came with it, cause my old one from my spv is the same, BUT it makes the buzzing noise, too (only with the e200, not with the spv).

But as music plays perfectly well, I think it should be fixable by software

improvements (whenever that will be), cause there seem to be different

settings for the equaliser curves for talk/music.

If only the bass had been improved for music instead...still sounds like a

tin...

Guest Dectomax

Hi all,

I also have this buzzing problem on voice calls. More accurately, it sounds like distortion, like over amplifying an audio signal. In analogue amps it is known as 'clipping' where parts of the signal are lost due to over amplification. It gives a crappy sound.

Is the handsfreemp3 etc. speaker the same thing as the earpiece? If so how come they play perfectly with no buzz at all. If this is a digital encoding problem on voice only, surely software can sort it out. Failing that, is there any way one of the coding wizz's could knock up a graphic equaliser for the E200. :lol: I also have the prob. through the headphones. It's defenitely got to be a software prob. Any thoughts anyone? :?:

Guest RobMiles

Very strange. When I first got my E200 I made some calls which sounded muffled but I put it down to the phone being in the old case, and the holes for the speaker not lining up.

However, after seeing this thread I made some more calls to 150 to hear what happens. There is definitely something strange going on, in that the audio sounded absolutely amazing on one call, like a bee in a biscuit tin. Switching to an external earpiece I got exactly the same distortion. On the other hand, the last few calls I have made sounded fine, if a little muffled.

I don't think it is a mechanical thing, music sounds OK through the speaker - it reminds me of a problem a friend had with a Nokia 6210 which sounded rubbish when it had the case on - we traced this back to the metal clip causing some unwanted interference. Take the phone out of the case and the problem vanished.

I think something similar is happening on the E200. Under some conditions the phone is feeding back internally and producing the buzzing sound. If I was being cynical I would say that the designers then slapped a low pass filter onto the signal to try and stop this happening too much (which is why it sounds muffled) and then shipped it anyway. If this is the case it is a problem with the hardware and there is not much we can do about it (although a firmware modification might help).

It is of course always possible that there are two problems, one mechanical and the other electrical and that we have a mix of fault devices out there.........

Still love the phone though.

Guest shrubby

Right, thats it, I'm getting myself 2 tins and a piece of string. Goddamn replacement is the same, still buzzing.

Plus to top it all of I left my 256MB SD Card in my old phone and can't get it back. :x

Guest Coolboy1982

I'm just on the phone to orange cs to get the replacemt phone replaced, too and the guy said that if two phones I have had don't work it shouldn't be

the phone, but the sim card.

:!: :?: :!:

Guest Coolboy1982
What ! That sounds like c*ap to me :!: :?: :!:

It is crap.

I just swapped the sim cards between my two orange phones (spv and spv

e200) and of course it is still the e200 that buzzes and not the spv, so it

can't be the sim card