Orange scupper Smartphone gamers with the E200

Guest PaulOBrien

folks, talking about specs: check this out

Orange Developer Handset @ ORA

and please click on the highlighted "Brief Specifications" and then read for yourself:

.... 64k colour transflective thin film (TFT) LCD, 176x220 resolution

Memory As Indicated Below

Input Device Dialing Keypad, phone buttons, 5 way nav, 2 soft key buttons, Home and Back buttons

Audio Built in mic and speaker

Power Supp ....

well then it seems more like feature then like a bug, or???

cheers, lutz

Here's the inside of the E200 courtesy of Firaas and the FCC!

Is it just me or does it look like there are some sensors in the diagonal positions beneath the small black circles? I know nothing about this and previously believed that it worked on detecting both the up or down and sideways movement and combined them but there are definately small black circles in the diagonal positions, even if they are only there for protection then they are protecting a diagonal motion of the joystick. Probably wishful thinking!

e200.gif

Guest Bunchie

Oh dear it looks like its pretty much sealed then! Appears to definitely be a hardware issue and not much that can be done about it. How stupid of Orange to take a backward step like this. A lot of people are going to be very upset. :lol:

Guest midnight

indeed, ahwell, at least we know now, and can look towards a solution (not the one i wanted to see though)

edit: actually that pic doesnt prove its a hardware fault, should still be able to push both directions at once

Here's the original SPV (from jlowap's mods) and its the same as the E200, good news in my opinion as the SPV did allow diagonals!

Come on Orange, sort out the diagonal movement of the joystick on the E200!

Image4.jpg

Guest Bunchie

All hope is not lost then! The SPV sure as hell did diagonals so I don't see why this can't as the hardware looks identical. There could be some light at the end of the tunnel! :lol:

from a hardware point of view with most joysticks diagonal comes from a horizontal and vertical join (ie both at once), go open up an old nes / snes controller or something :lol: With any luck this will be sorted in days (fingers crossed)

jon

the spv and e100 both reported the 2 keys involved in the diagonal as down

i.e. diagonal up and left - left and up were both detected as down at the same time

the keytest program that Paul and others have tested detects the same single values for each direction on it's own, but when u press 2 at the same time - it reports neither as down - as though pressing 2 at the same time cancel each other out

hence the suggestion of XOR gates in the IRC earlier today

at this point I cannot say 100% that it's a hardware issue (especially as I dont have an e200 to try) but at the moment, hardware is my personal suspicion

dont get me wrong tho, I'd love for it to be a software problem that can be quickly fixed :lol:

Guest MARKUKCOUK

while I also agree that I hope its software, do we have any comebacks on this?

I suppose if its in the spec as 5 way navi (4 +1 ) then its our own fault for expecting HTC not to remove features from a new model :|

i really cant believe the testers and designs could be so ****ing stupid!

Having looked at the pictures of the key pad it looks like a fairly standard 4 way surface mount 'alpha' type switch assembly and the 4 circles in the diagonal positions look to me to be nothing more than the plastic mouldings that are fed thru from the bottom layer of the assembly and melted over to join the two layers!!!

So I don't think U are gonna find the solution there... it COULD still be a sofware issue in that the LSI isn't programmed to accept the two key presses and interpret them as a diagonal or it could just as easily be a hardware issue in so much as the internal architecture of the LSI has been 'hard wired' not to recognise it... i.e. the XOR gate idea!!!

Unfortunately I have a feeling this issue is gonna roll on for a while with hardware guys saying it's a software issue and vice versa!!! Kinda like a regular day at the office :roll:

I like the looked of the E200 with its built-in Camera and Bluetooth but I’m thinking of waiting to see what else is released next year. HTC may get the technology out first but like the original SPV it wasn’t until the E100 that it was fixed, my original SPV is a BETA phone and the E100 was the release model. So I’m waiting for the E300 (whatever there going to call it) or Samsung, Motorola to produce a similar spec phone.

Guest shadamehr

I didn't order my e200 on the basis of gaming (never realised it was a good platform for it in the first place).

But then I came to this excellent site here, and saw the potential... and thought "wow - yes please!"...

And then a single day later, after now harbouring aspirations of grandeur, then go and read on here about the joystick issue...

Talk about a rollercoaster ride down up, then down again...

Here's HOPING it's just software related!

Come on Mr Orange, (whoever you are - I'm new here), tell us its good news from HTC...

If not, tell us heads (LOTS OF THEM), will be rolling over this for a long time to come...

Someone already mentioned it, but its not just a case of my PC's clock and calendar being wrong is it? Its not REALLY April the 1st today is it guys???

Anyone has access to a Charlotte? Please try out the functionality... The Charlotte joystick hardware looks exactly like the Canary hardware.

Or has anyone tried using a e100 keyboard for the e200 keyboard - i know the interconnecting plug is twisted 90degress but i think it still is the same hardware..

/Jakob

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

shadamehr:

FYI: We have a member here who has the name "Mr Orange", he's an employee of Orange Group (not Orange UK/FR etc) and works on the Smartphone implementation team, eg the people who decide all that happens Smartphone and across the Orange carrier companies. He answers common questions and occasionally give updates and snippets of info on Smartphone within Orange.

Guest skyvalley

I know that O and MS monitor the comments on this site heavily. So we should kick up as much fuss about this here as we can. I'm pretty confident that the issue could be resolved in S/W, but my knowledge on drivers isn't the greatest ;-)

If it's a S/W issue O &MS need to get their arses into gear and sort it.

In fact if it does need a H/W fix they should do a new revision board and offer us a free upgrade! Mind you they'd probably get the E300 out quicker :lol:

One thing that doesn't bode too well is the length of time it takes for firmware updates to come through on Orange. Even if there is a fix, is there any chance it will be released anytime soon? I really hope so, 'cos I want an E200, but I want a working joystick.

... and I want the carry case too! Come on orange :lol:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.