Orange scupper Smartphone gamers with the E200

Guest PaulOBrien

Is this one of the fastest growing topics ever? Wow...

Anyway, anyone who's really wound up about this - the 14 day/7 day thing doesn't really apply if you are able to say that the phone isn't fit for purpose. That's covered by your statutory rights and isn't overwritten by a contract. :lol:

If it's functionality alone you're looking for then a phone PDA combination is still unbeatable. If it's one handed functionality then I don't know. I'd be tempted by the treo though, Palm software is great :lol: and you can get plenty of freeware ;)

Guest FrankyG

real deja-vu thigh going on here... how many of us moaned and groaned about all the bugs/faults on the original SPV,but in reality it was STILL a great phone. If we were truly unhappy with it we would have taken it back for a refund...but maybe deep down we admit to ourselves that it is only a phone...c'mon, you know it's true ;-)

Its also true that most of us here depended on this forum to get our phones working as well as they could,there really was precious little that O or Ms did to help. That being the case, i for one don't think there is much hope of the E200 getting the fixes it needs-at least not in a timeous manner(from the *proper* sources)

so what would get O's attention? Yes, you all know.. but you don't really *want* to take your new toy back for a refund do you, always living in hope that the smart people in here will be able to solve most of the problems already reported. I really hope that all you 'early adopters' do get the fixes and improvemments which have have somewhat spoiled the release of nearly brilliant device. FYI, I got a new cover for my original SPV so it looks brand new again, runs pretty fast and stable...so I'm sticking with it until the E200 dust settles a bit :-)

Posted from my SmartPhone!

Guest Syphon Filter

What about the P900? 20days standby time!! But I thought that freebie Symbian software was hard to come by?

I dont wanna be paying through the nose for the odd game and what not. Also the P900 has no joystick at all so gaming will be harder. But then that screen is mighty fine!! Hrm...really dont know what to do. What are the chances of a new revision being made of the E200 that addresses some of the issues raised? Li polymer battery, 9 way stick etc etc??

Personally im going for the Mpx200, if your not too concerened about bluetooth or the camera (and you dont mind clamshells) then it seems the perfect option, also since it has the extra memory you might well get a WM2003 upgrade very soon (fingers crossed). Maybe Orange will have more insentive to upgrade the Mpx200 to WM2003 now that the E200 is terrible for playing games!

DJ Hope

Guest toadvox

I know it's off topic a bit, but as suggested above, I've decided to have a look at the Treo 600. (P900 is far to expensive) Anybody got any thoughts on this phone? Good, bad etc. Any things to note while I'm thinking about which one to go for!? (Still thinking about the E200!!)

Discussion over whether to purchase the E200 should continue HERE and there are also some good (and bad points in my opinion) HERE. I personally love my E200, i think its great but people will have to make their own minds up.

Guest midnight

come on people, be serious, changing phones cos of this bug? dont you think that we should wait to hear what O say about all this first? it may be a simple flaw, possibly even something fixable via an sms patch.

I've had a night to sleep on this and i really dont think its as bad as we think (still a screw up somewhere i admit), and out of the current batch of games i'm hard pressed to find over 10 games that are affected (only 1 i can think of is totally unplayable.... xrick, and the rest it just makes harder to play Odyssey, Total Soccer etc). Yes it does need sorting, but lets wait for the answer eh? (i await the flames)

And i repeat what others are saying, E200 is still one of the best phones out there even with this bug.

Guest shadamehr
come on people, be serious, changing phones cos of this minor bug? dont you think that we should wait to hear what O say about all this first? it may be a simple flaw, possibly even something fixable via an sms patch.

Sensible words from the one person probably most well placed to offer it, if my few days membership of this board are anything to go by.

Oh, and what timing! The Orange coloured charging light on my e200 has just gone green. So time to ring up Orange, have it registered, and start having some fun with my first ever SPV, and non-Nokia phone since my first ever mobile.

Perfect!

Guest paulmottley

still can't imagine play total soccer up/down/left/right style! was waiting until I had the e200 to buy it, now I don't think I'll bother.

Has anyone had any answers from Orange handset help on this?

I havnt actually got an SPV E200, i was always going to go for the motorola MPx200 its just reaffirmed my decision that this is the correct choice (although my main reason for going for it is cost!!). The joystick issue dosnt sound good from what ive herd, and if its a hardware limitation then your all stuck with a really nasty bug, what annoys me is why orange didnt get motorola to add camera + bluetooth + WM2003 (which its obviously capable of) and make that there flagship phone, motorola are obviously a far better manufaturer the build quality of the MPx200 is amazing!

DJ Hope

Guest Richie M
why orange didnt get motorola to add camera + bluetooth + WM2003 (which its obviously capable of) and make that there flagship phone, motorola are obviously a far better manufaturer the build quality of the MPx200 is amazing!

DJ Hope

Because thats the Motorola MPx220 :lol:

Guest straff2002

Does the MPx200 have 9 way joystick? Was gonna change my p800 for the e200 (sfter stupidly changing the spv for the SE) but with these problems if the supposed MPx220 is to be released 1st quarter of 04 I think I'll wait. Does ne 1 have news re this?

Guest capt_janeway
come on people, be serious, changing phones cos of this bug? dont you think that we should wait to hear what O say about all this first? it may be a simple flaw, possibly even something fixable via an sms patch.

I've had a night to sleep on this and i really dont think its as bad as we think (still a screw up somewhere i admit), and out of the current batch of games i'm hard pressed to find over 10 games that are affected (only 1 i can think of is totally unplayable.... xrick, and the rest it just makes harder to play Odyssey, Total Soccer etc). Yes it does need sorting, but lets wait for the answer eh? (i await the flames)

And i repeat what others are saying, E200 is still one of the best phones out there even with this bug.

Can't see all the fuss but then I don't play games other than tennis and tetris - my phone is a business phone and for that the SPV and the e200 cannot be beaten

Guest Sackgesicht

Hi,

I found at my document archive a pdf-file called: "Smartphone_techsheet1802.pdf". Title is: User's Guide: Canary: Windows Powered Smartphone 2002"

And - is this a surprise? - at alle pages at all chapters I can read only: "5-way navigation pad". E. g. chapter 1: Getting Started, page 3: "Navigation pad: The directional keys move the selection focus up, down, left, or right, and move the cursor left or right in text fields.

And at an another pdf-file for the Tanager it is the same: 5-way Joystick.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Whats now, members? Was the diagonal function an undocumented "hidden feature?"

Greets

Sackgesicht

Guest SsSiIiMmM

This should not be too much of a big deal. Joystick is too small for games anyway. If both was available: 8 way joystick and the numbers for playing games on I would use the numbers anyway - more comfortable. It also might be possible to program the game to use diagonals when 2 numbers are pressed at the same time.

But still it is disappointing that the makers left this feature out that is so easy and cheap to include. :lol:

Guest capt_janeway
so, you dont want a 3d star trek game then ;)

Weeeelllllllllllllllll!!.............no actually I have no eye/hand co-ordination at all - would love a CM4 game or similar :lol:

Has anyone mentioned this could be a Ms 2003 windows (for smartphones) problem?

Just wondering...

Yet, I see the battery issue (with &/or without bluetooth usage) as a 'bigger' bug, if you may. Had no idea the spv e200 would give me problems to last for more than 5-6 hrs! Anyone?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.