Orange scupper Smartphone gamers with the E200

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest straff2002

The P800 has a similarly crap battery life if you leave bluetooth on and play with it a bit. I'm very lucky to get a days use out of it, when bluetooth is on you are lucky to get 5 hours on it unless you turn the light off. With light use the p800 needs charging up after 8 hours, the spv used to last longer then this. And for those who are thinking of going to the p900 DONT had a play with it and gaming is nigh on impossible for most fast reacting games, and most of them are crap! That's on both the p800 and p900 with no joystick capabilities. PS anyone wanna swap their e200??? :-)

I just installed rebound off the extra sd card... even with 5 way i cant make much use of the joystick as it's so small and sensitive, the more i look at this the more it's a non issue for me as a user and i can safely say i'm going to keep my spv now :lol:

jon

"]The Dopod supports 8 way movement running 2003.

P

Thanks Paul for clarifying this. From what I have read on this topic, my guess it is still a software issue.

Seems like both the e100 and e200 have the same hardware for the keypad (for sensing movement) except the new joystick.

I believe that the NES-game-type keypads all were '4-way hardware' keypads, where the 4 additional directional movements was made from a combination of left/right and up/down being triggered, so there should be a software fix possible.

Still... it will probably take a while for this bug to be fixed?

Hope it is simple.

The link to this review is from Coolsmartphone and was picked up upon by The Inquirer. This also suggests that the hardware is indeed capable of 8 way directional input and that it is a software problem..

http://idunno.org/displayBlog.aspx/2003112501

Nice link.

I must admit, after just one week in the consumers' hands, mistakes like these for on a new product is unforgivable.

Truely a lemon, no!?

Guest Pondrew

I've just been onto Orange on 150 (very helpful guy called Adam) to query this problem and the possibility of returning the phone. He seemed unaware of any issues with the E200 but advised that even when purchasing over the internet I should have upto 28days to return the phone.

Now, I should stress at this point that I love my new E200 and think it's a big improvement on the SPV. EXCEPT that is for the battery life and this new issue. I'm now torn as I can't see myself downgrading to Smartphone 2002, I don't like clamshell phones, and I would like to stick with Microsoft's Smartphone approach. But I also didn't like the poor battery life of the SPV and see it being little better on the E200. The joystick issue is almost too much on top of that.

Still, I think I'm going to stick with it. After all, I'll be able to upgrade again in 12months :lol:

Guest Syphon Filter

Hrm...the joystick issue may well be fixed in software. But the battery life of the phone is something we are stuck with, unless they release a decent battery, for which we will no doubt be charge an arm and a leg!!

Guest Leo_dee

It may be possible to improve battery life with a software update via better power management.

As for the joystick thing, having dismantled my new E200, I am of the opinion that its a hardware thing, as far as I can tell its not possible for the joystick to make contact with the two switches at once.

Guest awarner [MVP]

The joystick was only a prototype members lucky enough to go to the first

meet in April had the chance to test it, one suggesttion I made was to have

the capabilities to plug it into the keyboard as an extra option.

This unit never made it past the prototype stage :lol:

Guest rintys5

No one has actually said if they have a problem with the 8 way joystick.

I'm always getting diagonal movement when I didn't intend it - scrolling round file manger type lists and most annoying for me, adjusting the volume in Pocket Music and accidently jumping track (I use my e100 in the car as a music player).

I don't use games that much, and I can actually see why they may have reduced the movement of the stick. It's not that nice to use, and 5 way actually aids more acurate navigation.

I don't think this would stop me from upgrading - in 9 months when my contract is up! Buy then of course, we could be on God knows what version of the phone :lol:

No one has actually said if they have a problem with the 8 way joystick.  

I'm always getting diagonal movement when I didn't intend it - scrolling round file manger type lists and most annoying for me, adjusting the volume in Pocket Music and accidently jumping track (I use my e100 in the car as a music player).  

I don't use games that much, and I can actually see why they may have reduced the movement of the stick. It's not that nice to use, and 5 way actually aids more acurate navigation.

I don't think this would stop me from upgrading - in 9 months when my contract is up! Buy then of course, we could be on God knows what version of the phone :lol:

I think it is still a 'downgrade'. Seems apps can 'just' choose not to use the 8-way. I don't know why you would try to argue it is better to have 5-way compared to 9-way, hardware-wise?

I don't play games that much either, but I think it is a big mistake to remove the option of a 9-way for developers.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.