Application unlock (decert) your Orange UK MPx200

Guest alphaflux

OK here goes... removed Orneta NotePad... unlocked the phone with the original cab & confirmed NotePad wouldn't install so ran Unlock2.exe

Start work thread... OK

Initalise work thread... OK

Switch to kernal mode... Nope

FATAL: Kernal mode failed

Unlock failed

Hope this helps :lol:

Although I wasn't in the position of not being able to run signed or un-signed cabs before I tried this it may not be a true indication... but either way after the attempt the original Lock & Un-lock cabs still run OK :lol:

And hey alpha don't ever get to thinking just because we are finding problems we aren't all appreciative of your time and efforts... I know for one I am and it's a pleasure to help out where I can :D

Guest alphaflux

Yeah, I know mate and I appreciate your help.

Ok, if it fails to switch to kernel mode; that will explain why the original one failed too. The majority of the new code that has been implemented in v2 is in the work after that point. :cry: I'll find out why its failing to switch and let you know.

Alphaflux.

Guest alphaflux

Bonzo: For you love of applications; I am more than sure you have a registry editor installed on your phone. :wink:

I have been unable to get the kernel mode switch to fail. I am going to do a hard reset tonight and try again ... but could you possibly do an export of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESecurityPoliciesPolicies and send the results my way. If I know what permissions you currently have in place I can replicate them on my phone then and hopefully get a better appreciation of what is going on.

Alphaflux.

Guest alphaflux

Forget that request Bonzo; I've worked out why it was failing. I hard reset my phone and found the same problem. It was a simple configuration issue, but makes ALL the difference. :lol:

So, introducing: Alphaflux Unlock v3 ! :wink: This version differs slightly from the previous, but should complete correctly now. :D There are 2 sets of instructions, one for each of the two possible situations you might be in ...

------------------------------------------------------------------------

For those that are able to install unsigned cabinet files :

1. Copy the original LOCK cabinet to your phone and install.

2. Copy the attached "Unlock (App Only)" cabinet to your phone and install.

3. Copy the attached "Unlock3" application.

4. Run the unlock application and follow the directions.

For those that are unable to install unsigned cabinets.

Well, there are some crucial settings that need to be in place before this will work. I have done everything I can with the application to get around the need for these settings, but have ultimately failed.

The only thing I can suggest is that you follow steps 3 and 4 above. The application will either complete the unlock or it won't.

If it doesn't work, big sigh, and fails with error code 0x80070005; I am afraid that a hard reset is going to be the only option. :cry: Once a hard reset has been done (make sure you take a backup of anything you need first) follow steps 2 - 4 above to successfully run the unlock.

If it fails with another code, let me know, I may be able to do something about it ...

As always, let me know how it goes ... its time to rebuild my phone again ... :wink:

Alphaflux.

Unlock3.exe

Unlock (App Only).CAB

Guest Shuflie

Followed your instructions 1-4 and after I had completed the unlock process tested with Ornetanotepad and all worked as it should. I'll report back if I come across any problem in the future. I had already performed a hardreset so I couldn't test whether this would get me out of the problems I was was having before. Thanks again for all your hard work that you have been putting into this.

Guest alphaflux

Thats excellent news. I think we are finally getting there. :lol:

Thanks for the update Shuflie. Let me know if you do come aross anything that doesn't work. I've successfully installed Orneta Notepad too, as well as Pocket Slide show which was also reported to have a problem.

Still been unable to find TC Data Viewer though Bonzo ...

Alphaflux.

Guest LandyAndy

Hi Alfaflux,

Have just got my MPx200 and an having great fun playing with it. Have applied your first unlock CAB and tried to install PocketCandy today for some neat screen savers. However, it won't install the CAB file. Do I need to apply your latest patch ?

Keep up the most excellent work.... your da man !!!

Cheers,

Andy

Guest alphaflux

Bonzo: Got it now, thanks. Pleased to report it installed perfectly. :lol:

LandyAndy: Its working nicely for both myself and Shuflie, not sure if anyone else has tried it yet, but is worth a go. The new permissions are stable enough not to cause any issues and can be reversed quite easily. Just follow the instructions for running Unlock v3 on the previous page of this thread.

Let me know how it goes ... and whether PocketCandy installs afterwards! :wink:

Alphaflux.

Guest Shuflie

Did you follow all the instructions fully?

i.e.

1. Lock your phone again with the orignal Alphaflux Lock.cab from page 1

2. Run the unlock(app only).cab

3. Run Unlock3.exe

Guest alphaflux

LandyAndy: Stop! Lets check this first. :lol:

Unless you also installed the second cabinet "Alphaflux SignedCAB Fix2", which from your post, it doesn't look like you did ... then you shouldn't need to do a hard reset.

You should be able to run the unlock appliation without that error ... did you run the LOCK (make sure it is the lock and not unlock!) script and then also run the "Unlock (App only)" before running the application ?

Alphaflux.

Guest LandyAndy

Hi Alphaflex...

Too late..... did the hard reset B4 I got your next post..... anyway, installed the unlock (app) and then the V3... all went OK and then tried PockeyCandy again... still doesn't load the CAB file....

Am I being DUMB......

Guest LandyAndy

Hi Shuflie,

OK... stopped (after doing hard reset), relocked the phone and then ran as per your 1,2,3. Tried PocketCandy again.... and...... same error..... failed to install CAB file.....

I must be DUMB !!!

Guest alphaflux

I've tried PocketCandy and it works fine for me. Hmm. Give this a go, run the unlock application again ... but only once. When you get the message to run it again just ok it and then try the PocketCandy install again.

Let me know ...

Alphaflux.

Guest LandyAndy

Hi,

Relocked phone then tried as suggested and still no joy. What version of PocketCandy are you running ? Where did you get it from ? Maybe I have the wrong version.....

Cheers,

Andy

Alpha my man it would seem you've cracked it :D

Worked like a charm & both notepad & TC data viewer installed without problems :lol:

What can I say... Genius...

Many Many Thanx

Guest LandyAndy

Hi Alphaflux,

Got it sorted.... was using PocketCandy 1.1, found the other screensaver thread and got a copy 1.2Beta off monolithix site, works fine now.

Cheers for the help...

Andy

Guest alphaflux

Glad to hear things are finally working out. 8) Its taken some time, but I knew we'd get there in the end. :wink:

We'll give it a little more time and make sure there aren't any other installations that fail to install; looking at Bonzo! :wink:. If things continue to look good with this version; I will produce a final update application with the same unlock parameters, but with some additional functionality to cleanly lock and unlock the phone at will.

Let me know if any of you identify any problems ...

Alphaflux.

Guest lawsonium

Hey Alphaflux

Things seem to be progressing well, can I ask you two things please.

For someone (like me) who hasn't installed anything yet, what is the order of events to unlock the phone and lock it again. Also, what needs to be done to read the security settings at the before and after unlock and re-lock stages?

Second question is, where did you find out about the security settings and how to chage them, I'm interested from a developers point of view as I would like to attempt writing some software (or converting software I have already written for the PC) for my MPx200 and other Smartphones obviously.

I hope you don't mind answering my questions, you've been so generous with your knowledge already.

Thanks,

Matt.

Guest lawsonium

Cont from previous...

I have been trawling through the on-line MSDN library in the Developing for Smartphone section, but decided for my own benefit I should read through in the correct order from the beggining to save confusion, but as I expected this is a mamoth task.

Do you use any other source than MSDN.microsoft?

Thanks x2

Matt

hehe... loox like I'm the obscure app king then huh!!!

I'll have atrawl around alpha & keep trying all the weird & wacky apps I can find but all is well so far :lol: