Orange response to rumours about the E200

Guest Mr Orange

Guest shadamehr
Mr. Orange - are you going to do anything more than issue a one off statement to the effect of 'there are no problems with the e200'??

In fairness, Mr O is merely a bit of a Messenger, and we all know about "not shooting the Messenger".

NEVERTHELESS, it IS time for a follow up from him, given that Orange by now are either completely blind, and totally deaf, given the huge avalanche of comments they must surely now have seen... Or now fully realise the depth of the problems.

So now that you ARE aware Orange, any chance you can let Mr O post an updated response, as he is indeed completely conspicuous by his notable absence

(And Mr O - a small :wink: for you just to keep it friendly...)

During our testing (4smartphone.dk) of a Pre-release SPV E200 we found the sound quality to be extremely poor. This might be due to a hardware-problem: If you have a look at the microphone on the E200, it slopes a bit away from you - which can cause the problems we (and now you) are reporting. At the time, Orange told us that this would not be a problem in the final release, and that sound quality should be at least as good as on the previous models. I have written them to get a comment on this now that the problem are starting to appear on the forums. I seriously doubt they will do anything on the issue - the phones are out there, and a recall is out of the question.

what i will say is that when i was working at Microsoft they were beta testing the phones and did find faults. The phone in my opinion is entitled to have the odd fault as every thing else does that we, the consumer purchases. Not every smartphone will have the same faults. Not every battery will last the same time. I know that people expect the world from things. thats natural. Does the phone actually advertise its self as a "non buggy phone"? I doubt it. Companies make and release things for years and years. Each new model is improved from its predesessor and NOT perfect first or second time. If a company waited untill their productwas perfect  the following points would apply:

1. The product would never be released. There's no such thing as perfect.

2. The product would never be enough to please it users.  

The only way in which a product will be rectified of its problems will be from its users (us) giving sufficiant, accurate constructive critisism. The only way that a company will get this sort of feedback will be by having an again accurate system in which users can submit their opinions. Ive been with Orange on a few occaisions and have never been sent a feedback or suggestion form. Ease off from Mr Orange. Do you not think that Orange as a company know their faults etc etc. The phone wasn't even built by them. If you have a valid problem with the phone then call HTC who will honour the repair/replacement if elligable.

When people bought the original spv they found faults. Did people honestly think that the e200 or spv 2 would be any less buggy?

I think not!  

Posted from my SmartPhone!

I think its ridiculous that people can actially think that way! You say that we should not expect any product to be without faults?? Are you serious that the phone was 'not advertised as NOT buggy" - I mean, what are you on about?? Of course a company isnt going to advertise their product as 'buggy' coz no one would buy it! & the reason no one would buy it is because no one pays over good money for something they don't expect to work - sale of ggods act m8 - goods must be fit for the purpose for which they are intended.

& all the talk of not complaining at orange coz HTC made the phone - what, is the mobile phone industry different from every other in that they do not have to take responsibility for products they sell which are branded with the Orange logo, & marketed as an orange product?? There are very few products these days which are made entirely by one manufacturer, most involve a couple of companies providing different parts - but it is the logo branded on the product which identifies it, & it is to that company that faults/problems will be addressed.

As for the system of user comments/complaints being psrt of the development process - this may be true for a company like microsoft which is constantly updating - but Orange customers waited over 6 months for any update from Orange, & it was a cause of much grievance among users. So, forgive us, if there are a few Oraneg customers here who aren't exactly full of confidence about future updates. & we get Mr. Orange coming on the forum to say things like, there are no bugs in the e200 - I mean, flat denialof any problem is hardly what you would call an effective system for taking onboard user comments.

& what is all this stuff about easing off Mr. Orange? The guy was introduced to the forum as "head of handset development" - now that doesnt sound like a messengers job to me! It is only fair & coprrect for users to voice their comments to Mr. Orange, as that was what was indicated by him on his arrival at modaco - but as soon as the flak starts flying, then everybodys all jumping to his defense!! I don't know - I lose all faith in human nature!!

Its opinions like these that allow compnies to walk all over people, coz theres obviously only a tiny minority who actually stand up for themselves & say something.

Cheers mutleyboy!! :wink:

But it would appear that apathy has taken over! I've been trying to wind people up for a couple of days now, but nobody's bitin'!! :wink:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest new_user_smartphone
My contract has just finished and I was intending to get the E200; after reading all the (minor (and joystick)) problems here there is no chance I will buy the E200 now.

Roll on Moto MPx220 . I don't think that Motorola will launch a phone that seems it has not been sufficiently tested prior to market launch (erm, E200 anyone?)

I agree totally with you on that one, I have been really pleased with my E100, and had made my mind up to get the E200 in Jan when my contract is up.

I'm so glad to have read this forum as I can now make sure I don't make that mistake, at least until I see lots of members giving a better opinion of the phone.

I'll just stick with me E100 for now and await the backup so I can update it.

Guest mcwarre

I agree totally with you on that one

:oops: :oops: :oops: Just got the MPx200 on upgrade :oops: :oops:

Well it was free! Then when the MPx220 comes out my missus will upgrade to that and give it to me (well the phone anyhow!) :lol: :D

She didn't like the SPV and prefers things such as Moto V500 (£115 on PAYG which she uses on her contract SIM). So I get a 'upgrade fee free' new mobile every 6 months just the cost of the phone.

Best of both worlds.......

Guest mardeman

I have had my SPV for a week. Still not sure about the call quality, but if I get fed up with it, I will jsut go back to using my 6310.

With regards to the upgrade fee. I DID NOT PAY ANYTHING.

When upgrades told me that I would have to pay 99.00 I asked to be put through to the disconnectiosn department. They soon reduced the charge to £0.00

But, I have just spent money on buying two extra chargers as the battery life is C--p. So far, I ahve only got 21 hours, and that is without really using it.

Guest MPXtricky

Rob.P - Before telling other posters to watch their grammer and spelling, it might be a good idea to learn how to spell 'grammar' :oops:

msmobiles are you English?  If so then you might want to make a few more corrections to the grammer and spelling, if not I'll let you off  :)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest medusatouch

gripes, gripes. With a phone running windows software, games, appointments, video, images, bright-lit backlight, bluetooth.....how long do you think the battery should last? It lasted for under a week with my nokia 6310 but all I could do with it was make a call or listen to a call. Don't do anything on it, remove the SD card from the slot and disable the bluetooth, and hey presto the battery will last for more than three days! Remember, it is a PDA-phone combo and will eat the battery as much. I carry the charger with me to my business but I know I am using it 20 times more than my previous phone.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.