Symbian OS Games vs. Windows Smartphone Games

Guest darkmatter

Guest ultimasnake

Well i have to say Smartphone is the future with games , simbian is just a crappy os (my opinion no need to discuse that)...... but if you look at what exo is doing at the moment.. like porting Quake , and some other guy that ported Doom , and the rumors (by exo) to port Duke nukem 3d those are great games to play :(.... also like megaman said not only games make the phone.. but the movie playback on the smartphone rocks too :D

also i am creating some high quality games (at least trying :().... its just like midnight said.. it takes time to do so :lol:

Guest scott2eyes

How hard is it to port a Windows game/application to Smartphone? (Not that I could possibly do it myself- I can barely deal with XML yet, let alone C...)

Because my PC (about 6 years old) actually has a slower processor than my phone- should this mean that PC games from this kind of era (assuming they didn't need dedicated graphics cards etc.) would, theoretically, run OK (ie. at an acceptable speed) on a Smartphone?

Guest midnight

i'd say that the smartphone (currently) 2d is about as good as a gameboy advance (but at higher colour), 3d is a bit of an unknown as i've not really seen any fully fledged 3d games being written from the ground up appearing as yet (except maybe interstellar flames, but that looks like it was made quickly), ports are all well and good, but they dont show the true power of the device, but hopefully around summertime this year we'll see higher res (320 x 240) and 3d acceleration, combined with direct x or open gl es and you'll have a pretty mean gaming device which could compete with the likes of the Gametrac and the Tapwave Zodiac (dont think it will compete with the Sony PSP though :lol:)

Guest londonlad

listen, most of the games i saw on gameloft were java, spv can handle it! sonyericsson have some good mophun games, spv can handle it! then comes the gameboy colour emu. and the nes emu., the smartphone platform. the only thing it doesnt have is the symbian os games, ngage games are only for ngage is nokia have made it clear that they will sue anyone they can bout it. plus, rayman is an annoying lil git!

windows smartphone give you more freedom, thats what i need

Guest megaman

I think you know what, some genius programmers amongs us needs to create a Symbian emulator for games on our smartphones! I think it would be possible. And it would really piss the symbian community up! lol :roll:

Guest agent.m
I think you know what, some genius programmers amongs us needs to create a Symbian emulator for games on our smartphones!  I think it would be possible.  And it would really piss the symbian community up! lol :roll:

sounds good to me!!!

Guest Gorskar
oh and theres a game we'll have finished in approximately 1 month time (not too far into the future for you is it?)

Not wanting to pester... I know that a good game takes some polishing, but that was 2 months ago... Hows the progress?

Guest midnight

well, the current game (sorry, we aint giving details of this game away yet) we are working on initially started as a quick game to make, pretty simple, but still nice to play/look at etc. and since then it has evolved into something we are much more precious about, and in my mind every bit as good as (technically, graphically and playability) as what we where/are attempting with Kumite, and in some ways this game is even more impressive. Which means that when we get back onto Kumite (hopefully early feb) we'll be improving that a lot to bring it up to the high standard people will expect.

So, all is going very well, just taking a bit longer than expected thats all :lol:

Guest c0ntrite

will it be free? hehehe... i highly doubt it though... such a good game deserves payment... it will be the first time i purchase something on the net if kumite comes out... good luck! GOD bless!

Guest midnight

no way will it be free hehe, sorry, but we are a new games company and gotta make money somehow, however, if some millionnaire is listening and wants these games free you could contact us and pay for the development costs and we'll release free hehe :lol:

Guest FuNKySoULyBrO

Hoping the day where I'll be able to play warcraft 3 on my phone, haha. Login to battle.net via GPRS and getting busted by gosus. :lol:

Btw, anybody got wc3 homescreens??

• 3 weeks later...
Guest stu_lowe2003

I know this is an old post originally now but it kind of illustrates a point.

This thread started around the end of november, it is now nearly March and the MS smartphone has had what new great games?

And I appreciate fully what Midnight is saying about games taking time, but we seem to only have you developing much in the way of new stuff.

The market is still young, but what MS must realise is that the mobile phone market is unique in that most customers change their handset every year or two. So if someone currently has an MS smartphone and wants to play games, they may well upgrade to a symbian phone when their contract comes up for renewal.

I think to generalise all n-gage games as 'crap' is a little flippant. There are some great games on the n-gage which in turn means that these same great games will work on the nokia 6600 and the sx1. As well as the standard system 60 games and the java games I think that Symbian is far and away the better games system (3 months on from the start of this post). And if Kumite and the 'mystery game' are all that MS smartphone is getting then I think it will stay that way.

Stu

• 2 weeks later...
Guest roozbeh

well i almost agree with you.....

although it is very interesting for me that little titles are availble for smartphones as it is microsofts brand and you only need [most of times[to make little modification to your sources to make it work on smartphone/pocket pc...so when i bought this phone becouse of this i thought there will be lots of games on it...and well yes for now we have to envy to symbianers!!

Guest phonesmarts

but hey, give it time and i have a feeling that this will be the ultimate gaming platform. once these mystery games come out, others of the same caliber (i hope) will follow...

Guest unclelimey
but hey, give it time and i have a feeling that this will be the ultimate gaming platform.  once these mystery games come out, others of the same caliber (i hope) will follow...

a couple of mystery games are not nearly enough, we need big companies making games... and hexacto (jamdat) need to pull their finger out and give us worms world party...

Guest phonesmarts

what about Snails? isn't that like worms...according to the old topic (i think it was "Worms World Party On Hold" or something or other.

Guest unclelimey

yeah, snails is like worms, and a bloody great game too, should be in everyones top ten... and worms seems to be on hold... but its gonna rock when it finally comes out

Guest allyourbasekris

I personally just sold my Nokia 3650 and replaced it with an original SPV (given me for nothing, how cool is that). Because of one thing........................PocketScumm.

I just have to say that the MS Smartphone platform has the best emulation ability of the two. Plus it seems to be (now don't laugh) more stable than symbian series 6.

Guest Simon Desser

I know Kumite's gonna be the dog bo**ox when it comes out, and graphics wise, will be far superior to this, but this Symbian UIQ game will have probably been out for a year before we get to see Kumite :?: :oops:

kickfight.gif

• 1 month later...
Guest crimminsky

to sum up this topic, We should see lots of games that can use the power of the ms platform when we have the SPV E2000 with WM2023 :D or buy the 6600 now.

Guest djboo

at the end of the day, the e200 and family are marketted as business phones... and nokias are aimed at Pug206 drivers...

the phone is the better phone, but the market isnt there.