Non-buzzing E200 batch numbers... let's have them!

Guest Gnuig

Guest engineer_jeff
I've got no buzzing and my Radio Version is 1.09.00, so that rules that out, sorry!

:?

No it doesn't the original message said that the 1.09.02 version was not buzzing, not the 1.09.00 you have just confirmed that the older :?: number does buzz

:lol:

Guest casper508

On my second E200 within 5 days and this one is also BUZZZZing. Didnt read the batch number on the first but this one is an HT343D but i think im beginning to believe in the theory that All E200s BUZZ !

Cas

HT343...

150 & answer phone - buzz/rattle

normal voice call - OK, no 'buzz'

media player - OK, no 'buzz' but seems to completely lack any bass

speaker phone - OK, no 'buzz'

Radio 1.09.00

Operator 1.1.1.4

Manufacturer 1.6.0.0

Microsoft 4.20.13288.0

Guest shadamehr
I'll swear they all buzz!

Mine buzzes when I call 150.

Two of my mates who had original SPV then upgraded to E200's swore blind theirs didn't and that voice quality was better on the E200. I checked and guess what, buzzing. As has been mentioned before maybe some people just can't recognise it (the lucky buggers :) )

Maybe, but just maybe, there might be something to this - who knows?

The only reason I say this, is that mine does not SEEM to buzz at all, despite being from one of the suspect batch numbers.

BUT.... I suffer from High Frequency Deafness.

This is a bit of strange one this, in that I don't seem to have any difference to my lifestyle, in that I can hear pretty much fine and no different to the rest in a normal sense.

But to best explain it, if I were to listen to a kettle begin to 'whistle', after a while, and long before it becomes so high pitched that a normal person would stop hearing it, I no longer hear the whistle.

Sometimes this pays dividends, in that when I worked for a large Government Department once, we had a PC 'dumb terminal' in the office, that used to whine like mad very high pitched, and drive everyone to distraction (once you get attuned to it, you can't blank it out - you know what I mean?).

Everyone except me however, who, having High Frequency Deafness, could not hear it at all, and though everyone was mad. (Its very strange because given the ailment, I forget I have any issue, as normal day to day stuff is fine). Only when this was noticed did I even remember I have high frequency deafness.

Now buzzing is the opposite end of the scale, in that I would imagine its more LOW frequency, but perhaps its just some of us notice this more than others?

So what I am suggesting is not that there is no problem.

But rather that the problem affects nearly ALL the handsets, and is very REAL, but some of us notice this more than others do even?

Hi Guys,

My Batch is HT346D

My Radio Version is 1.09.00

My Operator 1.1.1.4

I can't hear any buzing at all. On the whole I think my E200 is great.

Thanks

Shaun :)

I have made more calls today and still no buzzing, one other poster hear has pointed out that Media Player appears to have no Base - I can go along with this it is a bit tinny no where near as good sound as my HP Jornada PPC

Replying to my own post now... :roll:

It seems there is more to it than first meets the eye (or ear). Some phone calls in some locations seem to buzz more than others. For instance calling 150 almost always produces the buzz, not annoyingly loud but it's there. If I call my own office voice mail I never get the buzzing problem.

So is it volume/bass/signal/something-else related?

Guest X-mania

HT343D

No buzzing at all - however this is a replacement from 1 that did crackle a little when playing games with sound.

Sorry had it replaced before I knew where to look for the batch number so cannot advise ya'al of the number on faulty handset...

Just got my 7th, (yes thats right....seventh!!!) replacent handset from Orange.

H346D

...Buzzes like a bitch!

Come on Orange sort it out!.....whats worse is I just found out that after the 28 day period Orange is gonna start sending me reconditioned handsets! I'm annoyed at this cos its not even as if the fault is down to my misuse of the phone. I don't want some 2 month old e200 with a scratched screen and paint peeling off (like has happened to me in the past with my previous HTC Canary). All I expect is a new working handset in the same condition as the one i handed in (i.e. perfect condition cos it was only a couple of days old). Why can't they restart this 28 day period for each new handset you recieve seeing as this fault is down to Orange/HTC and not us?

I have 3 days left, I'm gonna give it 2 more tries and if they can't sort it then i'm gonna jump on the P900 bandwagon.

Guest bdmoore

Just got my shiny new E200 free on upgrade :)

Batch no H347D - buzzes on 150 etc but seems ok on other calls. It seems to be automated call services that makes it buzz cos when I rang 150 the buzzing stopped when I spoke to someone. Strange....

Guest pisquee

SN HT347D

Free upgrade E200 arrived today, not so much buzzing - but more of a distortion/vibration type sound on some calls (mainly orange automated stuff) on regular calls the sound is not distorted, but more muffled, and a bit distant - mainly too much bass or not enough treble - so I guess there is something screwy going on in the EQ settings somewhere.

Guest bikespod

that's the same noise everyone else has. its just easier to call it buzzing. you'll probably find it varies on talking to people. the other day i couldn't understand most of what my parents were saying. my dad does have a very low voice, so he was just a mass of distortion. Posted from my SmartPhone!

Guest ZeroK66

SN HT347D

Free upgrade E200 arrived today, not so much buzzing - but more of a distortion/vibration type sound on some calls (mainly orange automated stuff) on regular calls the sound is not distorted, but more muffled, and a bit distant - mainly too much bass or not enough treble - so I guess there is something screwy going on in the EQ settings somewhere.

More or less the same for me. Had my E200 for 24 hours now - free upgrade and I have to say the call quality is poor on all calls really. Exactly as pisquee has said - a distorting/vibration type of sound which increases as the volume of the call increases - IE: If the volume is increased or the person on the other end starts to shout. Almost as if the speaker is loose and the louder the call the more it vibrates.

:)

More or less the same for me. Had my E200 for 24 hours now - free upgrade and I have to say the call quality is poor on all calls really. Exactly as pisquee has said - a distorting/vibration type of sound which increases as the volume of the call increases - IE: If the volume is increased or the person on the other end starts to shout. Almost as if the speaker is loose and the louder the call the more it vibrates.

:)

It is really amazing that Orange keeps putting these faulty handsets on the market, as I see batch number from HT346D - HT348D having exactly the same problem from all the earlier ones.

Makes you wonder, if Orange even has a fix for it!?!?

I have switched alleys, and will be getting a symbian based phone.

A bit sad :cry:

Guest TimboDavis

We've got a couple of E200's, both batch No H346D, and neither of them buzz.

The speakerphone is definitely patented by Heinz though!!!

Happy new year all.

Guest ZeroK66

Does not make sense then that the 347 is buzzing. That said - I dont have anything to compare it to other than my old SPV. Maybe I am dreaming? But I can deffo say it has a hollow noise and sound appears to break up with increased volume with a vibrating sort of crackling. I guess this is the buzz. :roll: :cry:

• 3 weeks later...
Guest zombiefly

mine sounded ok to me and i was reading this thread thinking "what buzzing?"

then i rang 150, and yes, the recorded message woman distorts. it doesnt buzz, it distorts. Calling it buzzing is misleading, as i was expecting a low drone or buzzzz tone behind calls, which isnt the case.

As far as i'm concerned, the speaker is either being overloaded by the output from the phone, i.e. the feed to the speaker is too powerful and causes it to vibrate out of its normal range, usually meaning the fillament is rattling against its housing. When calling 150, and turning up the volume, the problem gets worse.

I have to say tho, that on my phone at least, the distortion noise was not a problem for me. I just accept that mobiles occassionally break up and make sounds [maybe this was due to being a Cellnet/ 02 customer for 10 years] :roll:

so, i guess i now suffer from this problem too. I wont be sending the phone back tho, as its not too much of an issue [either because it simply doesnt bother me or because certain phones are worse than others]

Personally, i'm more concerned about the fact that HTC attached a 4 way hardware joystick to the E200 and destroyed the phone before it was even launched, in my book, that virtually wipes out the E200 as many future software titles will be unusable.

my version number is HT345

i dont get any buzzing just find the volume could be higher mine is also a dutch E200 which has slightly different and maybe newer software in it ?? :wink: :wink:

It would be good to get to the bottom of this. I haven't got my batch number with me as I'm at work, but I reckon its something to do with the way the voice is being compressed.

I can play MP3s at a loud volume and they sound ok. Some calls sound ok, some don't.

If anyone has tried to experiment with compressing voice recordings on a PC they might recognise the sound. When you use too low a resolution you get the same weird rattling/buzzing sound. I'm not convinced its the hardware. I reckon its in the software. Otherwise, why would it be ok sometimes?

It would be good to get to the bottom of this.

I think it is still very bad why Orange don't come out with a statement on the issue?

I am sure there will be some sort of patch, but I never liked that the phone had the problem to begin with, as I believe a patch to this problem may also have other consequenses on the quality of calls.

/G

Guest MrZaphod

What we need is a bit of experimentaion.

I put my sim into an nokia 7110 (Yes, I loved the matrix so much I bought the phone) and rang 150. I got three of my friends to listen to the call quality. Then I compared it with my e200 (ht347d 1.09.00). The result was that we considered the call quality to be quite simular.

Then we got carried away and tried a T610, nokia 5210, nokia 3210, t68i (I think) all with the same sim card we came to the conclusion, that 150 is very poor quality, it caused distortionon with the majority of the phones that we tried.

Then we tried voice calls to the same landline number (god bless free minutes). Once again we couldn't really tell the differance! (except for the t68i because it stopped working!) We even tried playing music (in both directions, and the sound quality was actually a bit better for the e200!)

What I think we need to investigate is what volume level is your e200 set at?

I use about 1/4 volume on my phone, and I find it loud enough, if I put the volume at maximum, I do get a bit of distortion, but deafen myself in the process.