DVD to SPV - optimised media encoder settings

Guest ray

Guest hunchback

8)

Hi,

I've been successfully using Media Player but now switched to DivX playing as the software runs in landscape and full screen and supports fast/forward. The PocketDivX player and settings are elsewhere in this forum - just thought I'd point this for those of you lot banging your head against MS's player's limited functionality.

You'll need a fair size SD card of course, I got a 256MB for £50 from ebay (from a guy in New York, ordered on a Friday, arrived on a Tuesday), this like less than half the typical UK selling price.

Here's the summary of the stages I use:

1) Unlock the phone to run any apps

2) Rip from DVD using Smartripper 2.41 (this provides you with VOB files) remembering to only extract the Video Stream and the required Audio stream as later you are using apps that can't select the audio stream and you want it in your preferred language don't you? If you don't do this then you may be hearing one of the other languages randomly.

3) Install DivX 5.0.2 (not any other version, not e.g. the current 5.0.3). You only need to install the Codecs.

4) Use VirtualDub to convert the VOB to DivX format using the settings mentioned elsewhere, noting that some stuff your DVD can do the DivX player can'tsuch as make sound loud and picture bright, so run a short test and then look to in Virtualdub to increase sound and picture.

5) Install on the Smartphone the PocketDivX player (mentioned elsewhere)

6) Copy your AVI file output from VirtualDub to the Smartphone's SD card

7) Play!

I have full 220x176 films playing with pause, skip forward/back, etc. Almost exactly a MB per minute so my 256MB card can store 2 or 3 films.

I realise that's a lot to put together, but its all rather easy really.

Guest rhaleuk

Ok, I here is my take. I have basically used the settings in the first post. I am using it to get episodes of Friends on the SPV. I own all the DVD's so its all legal.

Each episode is a single VOB file, which I rip using DVD Decrypter or Smartripper if there is any trouble. I rip each file at time to the HD. Takes 5 mins. Then open the file in WMEncoder 9 and pop in the settings in the first post. I only use single pass to save time and I couldnt spot a difference between double pass. Each episode takes up 15MB I also run a second encode at the default top quality Pocket PC settings to watch on the PC. These files are 35MB. Sorted.