UK/FR/DK 1.61 Update is here!

Guest Monolithix

Oh Dear Orange cover themselves in glory again . Its funny that Mr Orange has been really quiet since the back up deadline has passed . When will the update be available now , what has gone wrong ? perhaps the developers have given up and one home for Christmas

Guest Disco Stu

I've upgraded my Canary without the tool.

Dougie Lampkin overloaded the phone so I had to Hard Reset it, hence the perfect opportunity.

The results aren't particularly exciting but the clean-up effect is always worth it :wink:

Guest sgannon

Battery life significantly worse on mine too. I'd say it's at least 50% worse than the Qtek - very disappointing. The egg-timer seems far more frequent too, especially during texting or using GnuBoy. :)

Guest new_user_smartphone

Well I am guessing its Bah Humbug from Orange for its customers for Xmas, as its now the 24th Dec and way past their quoted "week commencing 15th", and still no sign of the back up on the update page.

I'm beginning to think Orange really don't give a toss about the people who keep them in business.

I say do us all a favour Orange, don't promise things and then not come through as it really pi##es people off.

By the way I will be paying my next phone bill week commencing 17th Jan!!! :wink: :wink:

Are you running any 3rd party apps or anything?

No, nothing special. After the update I only copied over the NES emulator and installed the registry editor. I used to have more apps than this. I also removed Orange backup from the startup.

Seriously I have changed almost nothing from before the update. My habits are the same, but battery life is *much* worse.

Well I am guessing its Bah Humbug from Orange for its customers for Xmas, as its now the 24th Dec and way past their quoted "week commencing 15th", and still no sign of the back up on the update page.

Hi, if you really want the update soon, it's not very complicated to backup contacts/appointments and SMS messages. The rest is just copying over the IPSM and restoring your settings and apps.

Coming from QTEK 1.50  

- Battery life is much longer, i don't know why others are complaining about their phone batt life, but mine did prolonged the life of the batt.  

Maybe because the update isn't behaving in the same way for everyone?

Guest rcperez

Dude55 Wrote:

Maybe because the update isn't behaving in the same way for everyone?

What i meant was i dont have any answers why their battery life went sour :) maybe its the network carrier when searching? I'm running on 900/1800GSM and it did increase my signal and thus search for networks less frequently.

Cheers and Merry Christmas too all!

Guest CHOSEN21

I have an Orange SPV with Rom ver 1.50.5.11 and it starts with the Eurotel logo. I live in Greece and i use a Vodafone sim. The SPV sim and apps are unlocked. Can i update it with UK 1.61? After the update sim and apps will lock? or they will stay unlock.

Guest Disco Stu

The update will always wipe clean the IPSM but Orange are supposed to be providing a Back-up Tool on the website to get round this. Unfortunately this has yet to appear.

Battery life improvement ? Some say Yes, some say No ! I'm not convinced it's made any difference really :roll:

Guest morpheus2702

After extensive testing this Christmas (i.e. back at my folks, without my PC and cradle, AC adaptor only) the battery life is better. I would guessestimate:

1.5 Orange ROM 24-30 hours

1.6 Orange ROM 48 hours max

1.5 iMate around 72 hours

If only we could crib the good bits out of every operator version eh?

Guest WillEastbury
I live in a poor Orange signal area. Before the other updates I NEVER had signal at home. Then I'd sometimes have one bar, two at a stretch.

But NOW having installed the update I've got three bars!?!  

Same here, now I seem to have a decent 3 bars constant + Decent GPRS speed as well.

I did used to be able to get 3 bars with my Nokia 6310i, just not with my SPV.

And this thing FLIES now !

Wahey ! !

has anyone noticed that their backlight timeout has stopped doing what it should? i set mine back to 5 secs and after a reboot it is fine but then later on it will take about 30-40 secs before it goes off. could this be why some people are reporting shorter battery life? Posted from my SmartPhone!

Guest aristoBrat
has anyone noticed that their backlight timeout has stopped doing what it should? i set mine back to 5 secs and after a reboot it is fine but then later on it will take about 30-40 secs before it goes off. could this be why some people are reporting shorter battery life? Posted from my SmartPhone!

Mine did for awhile, but I've done a few hard resets again (just playing around) and it's fine. So I'm not sure if it was an app I had installed or what.

Guest Philpo

As ive given up waiting for Orange to pull their finger out and eventually bring their customers the backup tool they promised weeks ago, does anyone know how to back up the ipsm folder so i wont lose any of my settings or txts etc.

Is it just a case of copying the folder to my pc and back again after the update? :?

Thanks for any help :)

/me is not a happy Orange customer :evil:

:x

Guest elziado

Has anyone had this problem:

upgraded my SPV which was de-certed and sim-unlocked

worked fine with orange sim, then put my spanish vodafone sim in and it worked fine too

when i put my orange sim in after this i got the "sim failure, invalid sim" message!!

what happened? can i sort it out?

Guest aristoBrat

My phone occasionally does that when I take the battery off (which I think jiggles the SIM slot).

Reseating the SIM card in the slot (and making sure the slot is 'clicked') fixes it 95% of the time for me.

If it STILL says that, I take out the SIM card and battery, curse the phone, wait a few minutes, and then reassemble everything. :)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.