AttachSmart Classic (free) - to send email attachments!

Guest The PocketTV Team

Guest The PocketTV Team

Not sure why it does not work on your phone.

When you go to Inbox and Open the attachment, Inbox copy the attached file in a folder, and when you return to AttachSmart and the OK button, you should be in this folder and you should see the attachement that you opened from Inbox.

You must Open the attachement the attachement from Inbox. Merely selecting it is not sufficient. Note that even if inbox tells you that it cannot open the attachement, it will still work: AttachSmart should let you see it, so you can save it or forward it to someone else.

Guest snowman0792

Hmm. On the i600, I don't have a copy command that I can find. Maybe the problem is ClearVue. I start off in AttachSmart. It tells me to go to Inbox and open the attachment., then press OK. I then go to my Inbox, select the attachment. When I open a .jpg, it comes up in ClearVue. I then close ClearVue, which takes me to my home screen and then I open AttachSmart, which is still on the press OK screen. When I press OK, it goes to a folder called attachments, which is empty. Actually, I have ClearVue on a 15 day trial, so a trial acceptance screen comes up before the picture opens in ClearVue. Have you tried AttachSmart on the i600 with ClearVue?

Guest The PocketTV Team

> I then close ClearVue, which takes me to my home screen and then I open AttachSmart

That's may be the problem. You must go back to AttachSmart without closing ClearView.

One way to do that is to press the Home Button, then select AttachSmart in the program list.

Another way is to press the BACK Key until you see AttachSmart.

Another way is to map AttachSmart on a hot-key and press this hot-key.

> Have you tried AttachSmart on the i600 with ClearVue?

No, and we don't have a i600 anymore, so we cannot test. It is possible that Clearview, for some reason, copies the JPEG file somewhere else, but it is unlikely. Try getting back to AttachSmart without closing ClearView.

You guys aren't doing anything wrong. The problem is AttachSmart is looking in the wrong directory for the attachment that has been opened. The same is happening with my C500. AttachSmart is looking in StorageMAPIAttachments but and nothing is there. If however, you navigate to StorageApplication DataVolatile (with AttachSmart) you will find the attachment and can select it and then save it to the directory of your choice.

Can I suggest to the PocketTV Team that they make the attachment directory a user configurable option in AttachSmart?

Guest The PocketTV Team

Thanks for the suggestion.

Next time we make a new release of AttachSmart, we will try to fix that and/or to make this folder configurable.

However, if I remember well, the folder StorageApplication DataVolatile is where the attachements are initially placed when email are received, but when in this folder, they don't have any recognizable names, so you cannot tell which is which if you have received several messages with several attachements.

Once you open an attachment, InBox copies the attached file in StorageMAPIAttachments and renames it with its correct name (i.e. as it appears in the email), and from there it will lauch the application that can open this file, if there is one.

This is why AttachSmart asks you to open the attachement, then it will look in StorageMAPIAttachments, rather than in StorageApplication DataVolatile.

But we tested that on Smartphone 2002, and it is possible that Microsoft decided to changed how InBox deals with attachments.

You've got it back to front :lol: It used to be in IPSMMAPIAttachments (with an unrecogniseable name) and was temporarily copied to IPSMApplication DataVolatile when opened. I used to manually copy attachments all the time on my original SPV.

The only thing I can see that has changed is that the attachments don't seem to reside in StorageMAPIAttachments any more, although the folder is there.

Still, it would be great to get a fix :)

Posted from my SmartPhone!

Guest The PocketTV Team
You've got it back to front :lol: It used to be in IPSMMAPIAttachments (with an unrecogniseable name) and was temporarily copied to IPSMApplication DataVolatile when opened. I used to manually copy attachments all the time on my original SPV.

The only thing I can see that has changed is that the attachments don't seem to reside in StorageMAPIAttachments any more, although the folder is there.  

Still, it would be great to get a fix :)

No, I think you've got it backward. Our observation (on Smartphone 2002/2003) is that the attachments were copied in IPSMMAPIAttachments (or StorageMAPIAttachments for 2003) with the correct name, and that's where AttachSmart looks for them.

In IPSMApplication DataVolatile (or StorageApplication DataVolatile for 2003), the attachments have an unrecogniseable name.

You are definitely mistaken. Come and look now at my original SPV and C500 and I'll show you :)

Hint: Volatile i.e. the attachment is only there when it is open. Close the messaging app and it goes.

I'm sure other people here will confirm.

Perhaps there's a difference between the SDK and real phones?

Guest snowman0792

Sho'nuff. AttachSmart was looking in the wrong place for the attachment. The attachment, with its original attachment name, is being stored in My Smartphone/Storage/Application Data/Volatile. Just for clarity, I'm running the newly updated 2003 operating system on the i600.

Thanks for all of your input. This is a great add-on that I can't believe MS left out.

Firstly, I'm surprised that we need to use a third-party program to send attachments - you can forward an attachment to an existing e-mail OK on Smartphone WM2003, but you can't add one to a new mail....wierd.

Thank goodness AttachSmart does the job - but with one big limitation: you can only attach one file per e-mail.....at least that's what I'm finding. If it's possible to send multiple attachments using this program, please tell me how it's done. I'm hanging onto my iPAQ until this problem is resolved as I find it a major drawback....in all other respects AttachSmart is excellent, and very intuitive to use.

Nick

Guest The PocketTV Team

> If it's possible to send multiple attachments using this program, please tell me how it's done. I'm hanging onto my iPAQ until this problem is resolved as I find it a major drawback....in all other respects AttachSmart is excellent, and very intuitive to use.

Thanks!

Currently you cannot send more than one attachement at a time with AttachSmart. We'll see if we can change that in a future version.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Guest The PocketTV Team
Any chance of making this the default email application rather than having to open it separately? Add the ability to send multiple attachments and it would be ideal

It would probably be a lot of work to duplicate / emulate all the features of Inbox in AttachSmart.

And there are also some commercial InBox replacement that do that already.

So we will keep AttachSmart small and simple, and AttachSmart Classic will remain free.

Maybe it is possible to deal with multiple attachments without too much difficulties. We will look into this.

Many thanks, Pocket TV Team. I agree, please keep AttachSmart simple. For the multiple attachments, do you think you could tweak the original program so that, if you have already a mail with an attachment waiting to be sent, then repeating the AttachSmart action will add the second attachment to this unsent email rather than creating a new one? This would seem the simplest solution and probably cater for most people's needs.

For even better flexibility, then perhaps it would be possible to do the following:

1. as now, when you create an email with an attachment it prompts you to choose which email account you want to use (if you have more than one).

2. now add a second prompt screen that follows the one above asking you which outgoing email you want to attach it to (if there are multiple messages waiting to be sent) or if it's to be attached to a new email.

This would cover all possibilities.

Guest The PocketTV Team

> For the multiple attachments, do you think you could http://smartphone.modaco.com/viewtopic.php?t=7695>tweak the original program so that, if you have already a mail with an attachment waiting to be sent, then repeating the AttachSmart action will add the second attachment to this unsent email rather than creating a new one? This would seem the simplest solution and probably cater for most people's needs.

The problem here is that we have no easy way to detect if the mail has been sent or not.

So the best solution may be to have a special mode to select a list of files to attach, then attach them all.

But the problem is that I am not sur that the API we use to interface with InBox allows multiple attachment. I think it allows only a single attachment, but we'll have to check.

> For even better flexibility, then perhaps it would be possible to do the following:

1. as now, when you create an email with an attachment it prompts you to choose which email account you want to use (if you have more than one).

All we do is interface with InBox and tell InBox to send a mail with an attachment. What InBox does or asks you after that is not under our control.

> 2. now add a second prompt screen that follows the one above asking you which outgoing email you want to attach it to (if there are multiple messages waiting to be sent) or if it's to be attached to a new email.

This would cover all possibilities.

I agree with you, but I don't think the InBox API that we use allows us to do all that.

We'll see what we can do.

If you need more complex solutions, you can always purchase one of the InBox replacement applications that will allow you to do all that.

>If you need more complex solutions, you can always purchase one of the InBox replacement applications that will allow you to do all that.

could you point me to any of these apps, i have not been able to find any so far, thanks

I haven't found any email software that allows multiple attachments, either.

Thanks for your ideas and explanation, Pocket TV Team, it obviously is more complicated than I thought.

If Smartphone Inbox won't support more than one attachment, how come I can transfer an email I have received which has two or more attachments and forward it on without any problems? Is there anyway of 'fooling' the inbox so it thinks it's transferring a received email?

Perhaps a simpler way of doing it is to accept that each attachment has to go as a separate e-mail: in this case, can you make AttachSmart keep the names of the recipient plus the cc's for the subsequent attachment e-mail, so I don't have to fill in the details each time?

Guest The PocketTV Team

> If Smartphone Inbox won't support more than one attachment, how come I can transfer an email I have received which has two or more attachments and forward it on without any problems?

InBox can receive and forward email with multiple attachements, but the PI to send an attachment with InBox, from an external applications, does not allow multiple attachments. It's just a shortcoming in the API from Microsoft.

> can you make AttachSmart keep the names of the recipient plus the cc's for the subsequent attachment e-mail, so I don't have to fill in the details each time?

Unfortunately, same problem, the Microsoft API does not let you specify the To to Cc fields and the Subject when you send an attachment with the API we use.

Just checked on my C500 - attachments are now stored in 'storagewindowsmessagingattachments' prior to opening (as xxxxxx.att). Whilst open, they are in 'storageapplication datavolatile' with their correct name.

• 2 months later...
Guest MobileRob

Is there anyway to get Attachsmart Classic to use the storageapplication datavolatile as a default, since this is also where the attachments get stored on my i600 while open. This would save quite a few key strokes when saving an attachment.

Thanks for great app!!

Rob.

• 1 month later...

Downloaded several times..reloaded several times...still won't work on my i600. Program starts but can't send an attachment.

Edited by bcsd13