i600 Registry PATCH Released! lets you install all apps!

Guest The PocketTV Team

Guest The PocketTV Team

> Also, is it necessary to link to Paul's email address?

No, since his address in also linked on the last line of each MoDaCo page.

But I just want to make it easier for others who may want to ask Paul to change his posting policy on MoDaCo.

His policy (preventing people from providing a link to useful information located on other Smartphone forums) made sense in the early days of MoDacCo but does not make sense now that MoDaCo is established.

> Now how could MoDaCo support something like that?

MoDaCo does not necessarily support or condone everything that'sosted on its forum, does it ?

If you do a http://smartphone.MoDaCo.com/viewtopic.php?p=97945#97945>Hard Reset to the i600 so it reverts the phone to the condition it was in when I bought it, will that undo any of these patches?

What I'm thinking is that when the phone is booting up after a http://smartphone.MoDaCo.com/viewtopic.php?p=97945#97945>hard-reset, it basically copies the ROM image into the flash main memory (retains contents between power cycles) and the phone then runs from the main flash memory. And if these "patches" just modify the flash memory (hoping that the phone will never need to be http://smartphone.MoDaCo.com/viewtopic.php?p=97945#97945>hard-reset again), then these patches can be undone via a http://smartphone.MoDaCo.com/viewtopic.php?p=97945#97945>hard-reset, but that would also wipe out all the data/apps the phone has in it.

-John Cody

The caller id patch is a ROM update. I.E. permanent (unless you flash the ROM with another image again of course). The registry fix to allow application installs is a "soft" fix I believe. If you do a hard reset, you have to apply the patch again.

Guest The PocketTV Team
If you do a http://smartphone.MoDaCo.com/viewtopic.php?p=97945#97945>Hard Reset to the i600 so it reverts the phone to the condition it was in when I bought it, will that undo any of these patches?

Yes, it will.

encece remark "You could end up damaging your phone" is incorrect. Of course, you can always screw-up the phone's memory, but a hard-reset will always bring back the original factory state, unless you reflash the ROM. The patches we are discussing do not reflash the ROM, so hard-reset will work.

By the way, you don't need any patch the screw-up the phone's memory. I found that Smartphone 2002 is very good at doing that by itself :)

Guest The PocketTV Team
The caller id patch is a ROM update.   I.E.  permanent (unless you flash the ROM with another image again of course).

In that case... it is a bit more dangerous to install that particular patch.

But the Registry patch is a memory-only patch, so it's risk-free.

Guest nickcornaglia

Then you should email him to discuss. If he decides to change the policy then I will abide by it. It's his site, not mine.

We cant vouch for the accuracy of every post in other, many times unmoderated, forums. So why associate with what could potentially be, false information, that pops up from time to time. (EDIT: There is alot of GOOD info on other forums as well)

In the meantime, you can have whatever posting policy you'd like on your forum instead of bully-ing your wishes on this and other discussion groups.

Guest johncody
 I found that Smartphone 2002 is very good at doing that by itself :)

Boy do I know that! I start to cringe up if I don't hear the speaker make a slight pop noise after the red LED starts to flash....because if I don't hear the pop noise, then the LED will just keep flashing forever and I have to do a hard-reset :D

-JC

The patches we are discussing do not reflash the ROM, so hard-reset will work.

Incorrect. The caller id patch posted on Samsung's website is (was) a ROM update. A hard reset will NOT undo this patch. I know because I've done a hard reset since applying the patch last night. I'm still at level WL24 and I have number only caller id on the external LCD now.

Guest The PocketTV Team

> Then you should email him to discuss. If he decides to change the policy then I will abide by it. It's his site, not mine.

I did, and hopefully some others will, too.

Guest The PocketTV Team
So for our fellow readers...what would your recommendation now be? Install or wait a bit?

Regarding the Registry patch, my recommendation is to install it now (from http://smartphone.modaco.com/viewtopic.php...p=370391#370391 ). This patch is risk free and it does not reflash the ROM. It only changes the i600 configuration to unlock some areas of the registry that were locked by mistake.

Regarding the Caller ID patch, I cannot make a recommendation, since I have not tested this patch.

Or you could wait for a Smartphone 2003 update, which should some soon.

So for our fellow readers...what would your recommendation now be? Install or wait a bit?

Registry fix for app install...Of course.

Caller ID Fix...Tough call. If I knew Samsung was going to pull the patch (whether the problem was technical or political), I would not have installed it simply because there's no way to uninstall it if problems crop up. Although I've not had any problems all day, who knows what may come up. Actually, if I had known that I was going to revert to number-only display, I might not have installed it even if it was officially supported. The problem wasn't THAT bad for me in the first place.

I guess I'm saying "if you have NO caller id now AND you have insurance to replace the phone if it craps out AND you're a person who takes full responsiblity for their own actions regardless of the recommendations of others :wink: , then maybe".

Guest nickcornaglia

On the flip-side.....

There's always the fallback that they DID release the patches for a short time yesterday. Right or wrong....a representative of Samsung still posted them on their site.

There is no way of them knowing whether you installed yesterday or not. It's STILL their responsibility to support anything that may go wrong, as a result, including honoring replacements.

On the flip-side.....

There's always the fallback that they DID release the patches for a short time yesterday. Right or wrong....a representative of Samsung still posted them on their site.

There is no way of them knowing whether you installed yesterday or not. It's STILL their responsibility to support anything that may go wrong, as a result, including honoring replacements.

In theory, I guess that's true. The problem is...Does Samsung and/or Verizon think that's true? Let's face it, it's hard enough getting support for things they acknowledge is their responsibility!

Guest nickcornaglia

Ha! Agreed!

But in theory, with a decent lawyer and alot of money...they'd replace it for that reason. Though you would probably be able to buy 100 phones with what it would take to argue that point.

Guest awarner [MVP]
Paul does not allow me to post the link on MoDaCo, sorry :)

Simple reason for this is to prevent spammers from linking for the sake of it.

Unfortunately it happens.

Guest The PocketTV Team

Simple reason for this is to prevent spammers from linking for the sake of it.

Unfortunately it happens.

No that's not the reason.

The reason is that Paul made a rule that it's forbidden to link to any other site that also has a Smartphone-related forum. That's why I cannot post this link here.

Guest The PocketTV Team
Sorry I'm not arguing about this, but were you around when the rules were created?  

I have stated the reasons, believe what you like.

I know, and I understand that this rule was necessary at the time it was "edicted". This rule made sense at the time, before MoDaCo was established.

Now, it does not make sense anymore.

Guest The PocketTV Team
there are a lot of other members who advertise there own site with their user name which happens to have their own forum or links to others :wink:  :wink:  :wink:

We don't have any Smartphone information site or any general Smartphone forum, but if some other posters advertize competing Smartphone forums on MoDaCo, they should be banned immediately and definitively from MoDaCo... well, according to Paul's rules.

Well you're just on a little rules rampage this morning!  Wake up on the wrong side, did we?

jrowlings, I'd go easy. The PocketTV Team has contibuted a lot to this forum. You on the other hand are new to this group.