spvQuake // exoSyphen Studios - released

Guest exosyphen

Guest exosyphen

One of the reason I included a readme.txt

Anyway ... I was just fooling around. In my little company, support comes first as I dop my best to offer top quality help in every aspect.

If I get the time, I will make a small installer for Quake, so that it will make things easier.

Something to install through ActiveSync and a HUGE message box to tell them to grab the pak file.

I hope I will get around this during the weekend.

errr, ever thought they may not be that computer literate? for a start, they are copying the ZIP to the phone
Emm, I think I'm guity of doing that when I first got the phone myself! :oops:

I pity the folk that try to get Quake going first on the phone before anything else though; talk about jumping in at the deep end! Sticking with non-beta or official for the first couple of apps might be a good starting point.

and it was aimed at ultimasnake who used excessive abuse (swearing) to make his point

I missed that, think the comment must have been edited by the time I read it.

Guest exosyphen

Neah ... I will skip Quake2

I am currently into cutting a deal with John Carmack to let me have the Doom3 sourcecode and port it to both the SPV and the Nokia 3110

Was taking the piss; Duke Nukem: Forever is one of the biggest vapourware software titles in history. It's release date has been pushed back consistently for years...

(following on in the vain of Doom2 comments) We could also go for Half Life 2. I think the source for that is available... :wink:

Guest DOOManiac

Duke Nukem 3D however, which I think is what exosyphen had in mind, is open source though.

Here are two popular Win32 ports (both pages have their source of course)

http://jonof.edgenetwork.org/buildport/duke3d/

http://www.rancidmeat.com/project.php3?id=1

Dunno if there are any Pocket PC or other mobile platform ports yet.

[edit]

To be more specific, the source code for Duke3D is open, just like DOOM or Quake. The content of the game however, is still copyrighted (just like DOOM or Quake). However isn't it legal to include the shareware content w/ binaries for people who don't own the full version?

[/edit]

[edit2]

Lookie what I found:

http://membres.lycos.fr/ppcsoft/

Pocket PC Duke3D port!

[/edit2]

Guest exosyphen

If I EVER get around to that too :lol:

Dunno ... I am planning to spend a few days in the near future, at my parent's place (remote location, close to the mountains) ... and I might take my laptop and get some Quake / Duke work done.

Guest exosyphen

I feel like Carmack felt in the early days of 3D gaming.

I knew that some day , $500 video cards will go away and we will go back to pure coding :lol:

Guest Pedrovreeburg

OK, some shameless copying of an earlier post but maybe Exosyphen will pick this up, Quake, Duke & DooM, that would be very cool.

---

Hello everybody, I'm do not post a lot on this forum (although I read most of it) but now I feel inclined to spill my beans on this subject.

I know it has been said before but why not make a fully functional version of the Doom-engine for the SPV. I also appreciate the work Mboden has put in his version of Doom, but sound and a savegame functionality would be sorely needed. But...most of all, SPVDoom needs to get the same functionality for the loading customlevels (called WAD's) as the versions of doom for the PC have.

This would be awesome for developers and gamers alike. There is a very lively doom-community on the internet (check www.doomworld.com) which is churning out quality doom-levels at an astoundishing rate. If gamers could load these levels into their doom-engine the replayability would be endless.

Developers can have a fieldday by using the engine as a basis and then add bits and pieces to the code, making new graphics and textures and editing new levels. I think it's feasable te make a fullspeed version of the regular doomengine for the SPV (my roommate has a very old P100 pc with Win98 and even this runs the original Doom (also called vanilla-doom ) at fullspeed, i guess that our, a little bit more powerful, SPV's should be also capable of such a feat).

Nobody would be breaking any copyrightlaws with the re-coding of the engine, since the sourcecode is freely available on the ID-software website. The only thing a player should do is buy (or download...ooops) the wadfile (which stores all the graphics, music and levels) from DoomI or DoomII. The only problem is the large filesize of said wadfiles, these weight in at about 15 mb each (but only one of these is needed), so a large SD or MMC card is needed. Of course I don't think this is a problem because everybody already has a large card to listen to his favorite music...right???

I am afraid I wouldn't be much of a help for any budding developers, because my coding skill are non-existant, my doomlevels are abbysmal and I have a serious shortage of free time, but I'm willing to shout encouragements and chat about everything Doom-related to everybody who picks up this gauntlet.

Well, that's about it, i sincerely hope somebody picks up the development of Doom because having a fully functional version of this game would kick some serious ASS and would give me a very, very, very good reason for owning the damn phone.

CU people later, Pieter.

P.S. forgive me for any grammatical or other errors in this post, I'm Dutch so English is not my native language.

Guest exosyphen

1000 people *buy* crap games from companies that offer crap support, etc.

990 of these people want Quake/Doom on their phones ... completely *free*

They go ahead and buy all the crap they can and don't give a cent for the developers that make the great games.

If someone imagines that only my time is wasted on this project, is wrong. I got 2 donations totaling 17.5 Euro.

Deducting the fees, leavesm with something under 15 Euro.

I paid that amount just to host the free download of the game (webhosting doesn't come for free).

I am a gamedeveloper and live out of my games. As much as I love to make cool projects (and free), I can't afford to spend months working on something that does not generate any revenue for me.

I have bills, school and daily lifecosts to pay.

Those don't come for free like spvQuake.

I had over 10000 downloads for the spvQuake. (NOT including other websites that mirror this game).

And only 2 people actually spend a tiny amount to support this work.

Making FREE software costs money. Actual cash paid for webhosting and other involved services.

As long as people will spend fortunes on card games and not a single cent to support great free projects ... all you will have are card games.

Don't look at this post and say : All this guy want is money.

Try and send me a chocolate to enjoy 5 minutes of my time ... just as I send you a free game to enjoy 5 minutes of your time.

The mobile market is growing at a huge rate. One bad news I have to break you guys, is that major companies are working their asses of, to figure out the next generation of Digital Rights Management system.

Take mophun for example.

In a few years ... maybe there won't be any freeware, even if a developer want's to make freeware. All because of the great revenue generated by small arcade and card games.

Windows Mobile is the easiest target for freeware and ease of programming.

Symbian - Almost impossible to work with / Freeware is possible

Mophun - NO freeware allowed / Extremly easy to create games and software

Java - Freeware allowed / Low performance and unsuitable for heavy apps

Windows Mobile - Freeware allowed / Very good performance and ease of use.

and the rest don't worth mentioned due to extremly high costs to get something certified, or very small market.

A SPV e100 is far better then a Nokia N-Gage in any aspect. Speed, memory, display, features, etc, yet n-gage is considered the most advanced mobile gaming phone.

Please excuse my rant, but the bottom line is :

The mobile market and it's quality / direction are NOT made by developers ... but shaped by gamers.

Guest ultimasnake

your right exo... you know i just opened my Paypal account.. and if i get any money for the games i am making now (yes asking money can be dumb but only 1 euro for allot of work right :lol:)......... you are sure to get a donation from me for quake :D , and i still hope the new faster version of quake will be available soon :(.....

Guest Scarfman007

Ultimasnake - what games are you making at the moment, can you reveal anything?

Of course I know about your racing game, but you sounded like you had stopped working on that for something else recently?

Scarfman

Guest ultimasnake

Will reveal one tonight :D with screenshots and info... price will be €1.50 or something and the game is simple and adictive :lol:... its based on an OLD game (no computer game even) hehehehe all those nice hints

Guest ultimasnake

didnt you get them allong with your phone? they where included in my e200 box.... :S..... i am going to release a game tonight and if i make Any money at all on it... i will donate you some money (for quake) :lol:

maybe you can help me out a bit exo.... is it possible to link and Paypal button in such a way that once the user pays he gets redirected with a link (like they press Buy now.. and then they pay and then get redirected to a file to download)

Guest exosyphen

Ultimasnake, that is possible. (The PayPal issue).

They have a merchant manual. Read it ... it's small and simple.

I didn't got any earphones and I can't buy them here as they are not available. So it's more an issue of availability.