spvQuake // exoSyphen Studios - released

Guest exosyphen

Guest rafiq_p

I tried the timed demo and got 1.9fps with sound and fullscreen on the original SPV. Tried the same twice with same result. I get the timer alot during the demo.

Guest ultimasnake

Exo , please look into this code i found in Winquakecommon.c

if (com_modified)

Sys_Error ("You must have the registered version to use modified games");

return;

}

i think this stops us from using our own pak files... :)

Guest ultimasnake

Even better this seems to be the function from muff's code that checks if it is registered or not and if not if it does meet the standard file.:

void COM_CheckRegistered (void)

{

int             h;

// unsigned short  check[128];

// int                     i;

COM_OpenFile("gfx/pop.lmp", &h);

static_registered = 0;

/*

if (h == -1)

{

#if WINDED

Sys_Error ("This dedicated server requires a full registered copy of Quake");

#endif

Con_Printf ("Playing shareware version.n");

if (com_modified)

Sys_Error ("You must have the registered version to use modified games");

return;

}

Sys_FileRead (h, check, sizeof(check));

COM_CloseFile (h);

for (i=0 ; i<128 ; i++)

if (pop != (unsigned short)BigShort (check))

Sys_Error ("Corrupted data file.");

*/

Cvar_Set ("cmdline", com_cmdline);

Cvar_Set ("registered", "1");

static_registered = 1;

Con_Printf ("Playing registered version.n");

}

Guest Skitals
We now have a benchmarking tool 4 sp's :)

Word to that. I think PocketQuake on PocketPC has turned into more of a benchmarking tool then anything else. I never really played it all that much, but every time i got a new ppc I would run it and see what numbers I got. Then it turned into a game of how fast I could get it going with config settings, overclocking, reg editing, etc. I got my 2210 at 23fps at full screen before. That rocked. That took a lot of tweaking.

Guest exosyphen

Jesus!

I got on frontpage of every smartphone website and my bandwidth is at it's highest limits!

Sorry guys, but the GPL license does not allow me to release an executable that let's you use changed .pak files

Here is the trick to use modified .pak files.

You can use the pak0.pak from the full version of the game and mess around with that. That will allow you to edit stuff in it.

Someone please donate $10 ... that is how much I need to pay the extra hosting/bandwidth for the next 3 months. My bill is up soon :)

Sorry guys, but the GPL license does not allow me to release an executable that let's you use changed .pak files

I'm not sure about this

EVERY other port of Quake (or Doom for that matter) that I've ever seen allows loading of all pak's - it's one of the first patches that is made on the source code by people

is there a specific clause in the GPL that states u can't do this?

Guest exosyphen

Muff,

You can take the shareware .pak (the first one) from the full version of Quake.

You might now that there is one sinlge file which differs in the 2 paks. If quake finds the file from the full version, then you can load any mod you want.

It's not the executable that is restricted, but the missing file from the first .pak is what forces the player into shareware mod.

Take my executable and put in pak0.pak from the full version. Then you will be perfectly able to play any mod you want, or even ripp off this shareware .pak and the game will work.

I hope you understood my point.

I saw a specific post (by Carmack if I am not mistaken).

His ideea is brilliant. One that has the full version on CD can use any port in any way he wants because his pak0 contains the right file to put the game into full mod.

I dont think that Carmack meant that limitation to stand once the source code was released tho, after all it's easy to comment the checking code out (as I did, and others have)

I know iD was stamping down on people hacking the original game exe which made it load all paks, when Quake first came out. but I'm pretty sure that doesn't apply now that the engine source is released under the GPL - after all the GPL allows ALL modifications, so long as the source code is made available upon request

as I said, I know of lots of other ports of Quake and Doom, and all of them have commented this code out

I think it's ok as long as you are not distributing iD's assets (sound + graphics)

i think so too.... and i think its the pak that is copyrighted since the source some how got loose :)

it's no mystery how the source got loose, John Carmack released it

Guest ultimasnake

and that is one of the developers @ id? , i am trying the full version .pak file now... lets see if that works with this version of Exo , then i might try to downgrade the graphics tomorow (to bad its an 44 mb file )

Guest midnight

ehhe, john carmack is the co-founder (along with john romero, ian carmack and tom hall?) of id and lead programmer hehe, in other words id rleased the source, it wasnt leaked or anything (john carmack is well known for being a fan of open source software) :)

and that is one of the developers @ id? , i am trying the full version .pak file now... lets see if that works with this version of Exo , then i might try to downgrade the graphics tomorow (to bad its an 44 mb file )

the engine will work with the full game pak - well mine does, and exos is based on the same root source code

as for downgrading the graphics - you can do this for yourself if you like - but you CANNOT release them - they are copyright of iD software

Actually, the Quake source code was leaked before it was released if I can recall - somewhat similar to Half Life 2 leak a lil while back - caused lots of problems with stupid cheaters online.

If the Quake source code is released under non-edited GPL, you can change any source code you wish as long as you release this - including the version check. That should mean that you can use your own .pak files rather than infringing on iDs image files - hence my comment earlier on about possibly doing a Total Conversion on Quake to make games that run fine on the Smartphone, taking into account the limitations of the system.

Guest midnight
hence my comment earlier on about possibly doing a Total Conversion on Quake to make games that run fine on the Smartphone, taking into account the limitations of the system.

which also goes back to my original comment about this is a hell of a lot of work, and you may aswell start from scratch meaning you can at least sell the game to make it worth all that time and effort :)

Guest kalhohan

Yeah .....

I've just finish the first 2levels of quake (shareware pak) on my spv 1stG,

that was really hard to aim and shoot on big area :). But I'am used to play on game with speedless graphics...

I have played on Muff version because it have an option for landscape and key-mapping and for me , a little 'less slowly'. I hope those option will appear on next release of exo.

I hope quake will run fast enough to play good on spv too, and that the illegal downgrade will not be the last chance to keep a good framerate.

I return on quake to if i free my ram that can run faster , daaaa..... :D

Kalh the frenchie

Actually, TCs don't really compare to making a full game as you can crib most of the physics/graphics etc :) In addition, once you have the engine up and running, it vastly simplifies future games people want to make, thus helping the community. If it were all about money, we wouldn't have had Team Fortress and the like :D

Guest midnight

yes, but team fortress used the same basic engine as quake (and even used lots of Quakes gfx), in this instance the amount of work needed to get the game running fast, smooth and playable on the smartphone it would almost be as easy to start from scratch, meaning also no copyright problems. (this is my opinion by the way)

Games companys do not survive by making free games i'm afraid and so, for me, it would be about the money if i was involved in a game of this type (and the fun of creating games of course)

Guest exosyphen

I make my living out of selling my own games. (You might have noticed thison my website)

I am also a fan of open-source, as one of our oldest games is now sold at a low price with it's full sourcecode included.

I started the work on the spvQuake out of fun mostly ... i just wanted to code something different to relax. But we all have to make a living.

As long as there will be interest in this game ... I will work on it as much as I can to make it better.

Guest ultimasnake

exosyphen , please dont make spv quake a paid program:(....

oh and about the graphics thing.. i can edit the Shareware version and share that can't i? i just want to help allong with this great project .... since we can all publish the shareware pack.. we might be able to edit that too right? or release it as an "modded" version.......

hope that the new release will have fixed the thing with not beeing able to use edited pak files (ultimasnake looks at exosyphen with very cute eyes :))