spvQuake // exoSyphen Studios - released

Guest exosyphen

Guest midnight

ultimasnake, he cant really charge for quake, its open source :)

my point was that IF it was started from scratch it would make sense to charge for the game (or do you think ALL games should be free?) :D

and IF it was started from scratch it wouldnt actually be Quake, but a Quake type game, which, in my opinion would be much better using the bot match type format of unreal tournament and indeed go for bluetooth multiplayer (quicker to make these type of games and in my opinion much more fun and have more replay value)

oh and about the graphics thing.. i can edit the Shareware version and share that can't i? i just want to help allong with this great project .... since we can all publish the shareware pack.. we might be able to edit that too right? or release it as an "modded" version.......

er no

you can release all-new graphics, that replaces the existing pak0.pak or a pak that sits alongside the existing stuff, but you CANNOT mod iD's graphics and release them - they are copyright of iD software (and that means everything, menu gfx, textures, maps, sounds, music - the whole shooting match)

if you want to make graphics that look like the current stuff you have to start from scratch

which is what mid and I have been saying - in order to make this properly Quake for the SPV, and keep all the filesizes down, you need to create all of the assets from scratch (cos if it sits alongside the existing pak's that kinda defeats the point of remaking for filesizes)

Guest exosyphen

I CAN take the original Quake source, port it and charge for it(= sell it).

But I can't include any artwork/files/sound from the original Quake and I have to offer the sourcecode for who buys it.

I know some guys that enhanced the Quake engine and made a completely new game on it. They have the right (and they do) sell it, offering the sourcecode also.

But don't worry. My spvQuake will be free, and you have my word for that.

The only downside is that I can't make a real promise as to how much development time I will invest in it.

I do have some spare time now and will have some more in the future to work on this project.

Unfortunately I can't comment out the part where the pak0 is checked.

Please pay some attention below

==============================================

If you take pak0.pak from the full version of the game (and not from the shareware) you can edit that and my executable won't complain about it and will also load any content you want.

Carmack had a great ideea, the executable is the same in both shareware/full version, but the presence of a file in that pak0.pak is what forces the engine into full version / shareware version.

If Carmack ever gets back to my email, I will ask him for a way around this. I have asked permision to distribute a changed shareware .pak with reduced graphics.

I believe you are allowed to distribute a modified pak0.pak file, to those that have a legal copy of Quake.

This has to be possible, because afterall, if you have the legitimate Quake CD, you are allowed (even encouraged) to modify it as you wish.

As for Bluetooth multiplayer, that is possible. Until I make an evaluation of how much work this involves, I can't make a statement about implementing that.

Come on people ... buy a Quake CD. At this time it has to be dirt cheap and affordable even if you are poor. And at least if you can afford a SPV .. I believe you can afford a copy of Quake :)

==============================================

Btw ... anyone care to donate me a 32Mb memory card? Or at least offer it to me at an affordable price?

They are expensive as hell around here.

In my country, I believe there are less the 10 SPVs ....

I develop Quake using a single level pak file, on my 8Mb card.

Guest ultimasnake

i got it here :D ... well ok then i will try to edit the origional .pak file from the game.. i just wanted to use the shareware version first (since its 18 mb instead of the origional 55 mb :lol:... hmm just one problem.... the .pak file isn't included on the disc etc... its unpacked :S.... oh well might be able to try it like that i guess :)

Guest ultimasnake

:) yeah saw the graphics from the game.. there isnt much to downscale in the images itself.. though if i resize them... are they still proper in the game? (Will try in a mo). thus it wont (somehow) put a blank space where the other textures have been... :D

I CAN take the original Quake source, port it and charge for it(= sell it).
of course you could, but if you included code that other people had done (i.e. pocketmatrix) I think they might be a little bit pissed you were charging for it (which I know you are NOT intending on doing - just clearing it up for the other people playing with the source)

Unfortunately I can't comment out the part where the pak0 is checked.

I'm still not sure I agree with your reading of the GPL on this one

Come on people ... buy a Quake CD. At this time it has to be dirt cheap and affordable even if you are poor. And at least if you can afford a SPV .. I believe you can afford a copy of Quake :)

:D

now this I totally agree with - I'd prefer people bought the original game and supported iD, than paying people for ports, and pirating the original CD/discs

you'll need to do a web search for these, be aware they are getting harder to find due to the age of Quake now

for map editting you need to look for

Worldcraft 1.5 (you can actually convert the half-life version to edit quake maps, but it takes a little playing with files)

and for textures + lmp's

Texmex

Mipdip

Wally

there is also a tool out there called lmp2pcx (which can convert between lmp's and pcx's in both directions) which is useful

Quark (QUake ARmy Knife) is also worth tracking down

have fun

muff

Guest ultimasnake

ok so i just pak'ed all the files in the id1 folder to a new .pak file... (since my quake doesnt have it's own)..... started the game.. and it sayed it is executing the autoexec.cfg and then goes back to the main screen.. what's up with that ,

pllllzzzzzz make it use custom pak files or so... since it crashes on an pak file with all the real files :)

ok so i just pak'ed all the files in the id1 folder to a new .pak file... (since my quake doesnt have it's own)..... started the game.. and it sayed it is executing the autoexec.cfg and then goes back to the main screen.. what's up with that , 

pllllzzzzzz make it use custom pak files or so... since it crashes on an pak file with all the real files :)

I'm guessing that you have created an invalid pak file - how did you make it?

also have you tried it with my quake exe? that loads all paks

Guest ultimasnake
I'm guessing that you have created an invalid pak file - how did you make it?

i used Pak explorer to make the pak file, quake itself seems to "like" the pak and runs it without any problems.. uploading to the phone now and i will see what your exe thinks of it..

Guest ultimasnake

well your exe cant seem to find Conbak2.lmp , which isnt in the shareware pak , nor the full version pak....... thats odd......

i still hope for an unlocked version then :).. or else we might never downgrade the graphics

well your exe cant seem to find Conbak2.lmp , which isnt in the shareware pak , nor the full version pak....... thats odd......

i still hope for an unlocked version then :).. or else we might never downgrade the graphics

that's because my version uses custom graphics for the menus and backdrop to the console - they are included in the zip as are the installation instructions

as for 'downgrading' the graphics, well that's likely to involve some code changes, so you should either liase with exo on this, or else make your own exe to reflect your changes

Guest ultimasnake

well ofcourse i would like to allie with exo..... though my C++ is awfull :) (i can program vb6 and vb.net quite well though).... i am willing to downgrade the graphics and such.. but i have to try a way to test it.. i will include those custom gfx files of yours and see what if i can test it then...

i also tried adding exo to my msn.. but he doesnt seem to use it (with that address) .

oh the weekend is almost over .. i wonder how much updating he did :D

Guest meatgrinder

doin a gr8 job ther exospyphen, maybe i can help ya out (i also have very little free time) but i can do loadsa 3d modelling. animating/skinning, pm me if ya're interested

Dave

Guest exosyphen

Been a busy weekend here ... I just came home from XMas presents shopping.

I will release something new as soon as possible.

Ok .. if someone finds a port of Quake that has the shareware protection disabled then I will publish mine with that unlock also.

I am sorry ... but a lawsuit is the last thing I would need right now :)

Guest ultimasnake

Muff's doesn't have it... :)

and dont you normally get a warning to put it back first?...

might be that pocketquake itself doesnt have one eiter (muff should know this maybe).... (or you )....

keep up the great work.. i just managed to finish the first level :D ...

maybe you can disable skys? i noticed that the game runs ok as long as there are no skys visible... that seems to be a bottle neck

Guest ultimasnake

i hope you will still consider the "unlocking" already made several sound adjustments... (lower bit rate)... that might speed up things a bit... will do textures when i have the time :)

btw have you got msn? maybe we can "team" up on this one.. i dont know c++ (allot) but do know how to edit ingame stuff :D... might be able to help your project out a bit :lol: (my msn handle is the email address i have here)

Guest ultimasnake
The code is all licensed under the terms of the GPL (gnu public license). 

You should read the entire license, but the gist of it is that you can do 

anything you want with the code

that is taken from the origional quake source file read me

i included the GNU and readme.txt.....

it states you can do ANYTHING with the source , but not with the files , thus we can make it use custom pak files i guess.. but we cant share a pak file that is downgraded.. though ofcourse this allows me to use my own and any other person to do so too :D.....

it also states that IF we totally remade the graphics levels etc we can make an own game for it, thus we might even be able to maken an engine out of it if its speedy enough :)

readme.txt

gnu.txt

Guest bugeyes

SOOO COOL if only i could get it to work on my original spv! got passed the memory shortage but get stuck with this ...."w_loadwadfile:couldnt gfx.wad" HHHEEEELLLPPPPPPPPP...please! :roll: