Paul's guide to... changing the HTC Touch / T-Mobile Wing PagePool size

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest lamagdalena
Here's a new idea for the Wing users... rather than doing the HexEdit thing, you can apply one of these patchers below to your part02.raw file - to do the edit for you - then just flash back. To use, copy to the same directory as your raw file and run!

So, THESE PATCHERS REPLACE STEP 4, note that they overwrite the part02.raw rather than creating a new file, so when you flash back you flash the part02.raw filename.

Let me know how it works out :)

P

PS These patchers have CRC checking enabled, so should be very safe!

Hi,

New here and a total noob. I really think running this would make the Wing a hella lot better but I don't want to brick it.

with this patch that danger is gone right? And if for some reason something goes wrong what should I do to start over again?

ty,

malena

ps. if someone doing this would make a video of it it would be sooooo appreaciated. just a suggestions :P

Edited by lamagdalena

Guest bimori

Hi, can anyone woalk me through using teh cmd prompt. i have my working directory saved on my desktop, but for some reason, i cant pull it up from cmd prompt!!

Guest eskasi
Here's a new idea for the Wing users... rather than doing the HexEdit thing, you can apply one of these patchers below to your part02.raw file - to do the edit for you - then just flash back. To use, copy to the same directory as your raw file and run!

So, THESE PATCHERS REPLACE STEP 4, note that they overwrite the part02.raw rather than creating a new file, so when you flash back you flash the part02.raw filename.

Let me know how it works out :)

P

PS These patchers have CRC checking enabled, so should be very safe!

Hi Paul.....will this patch work with the Touch too?

Guest genaldar
Eek, so I assume it won't boot?

This is exactly why it's risky before a RUU is released. If there was a RUU, you could now put it in bootloader and reflash to revive it.

:)

P

It booted initially but I kept getting errors and it was slow as hell. So I did another soft reset. It never made it past the Windows Mobile loading screen again. Thats when I checked the dump and realized my error. If anyone else makes my mistake, and they get it to boot once, hopefully they can correct it then.

I got my replacement already though so all is well, this wing even has less play in the slide and overall just seems to have a higher build quality. At least it will be once I get my replacement invisible shield, hopefully that'll come in Friday or Saturday.

Edited by genaldar

Guest eskasi
No, this patch is ONLY for the Wing... I could make a Touch one tho :)

P

Please please please make one for us!.....Sigh...everytime I get the courage to even think of trying out this trick...its when I have had 3-4 stiff drinks....bad idea

Guest machaco
There are a few things you can do to increase program memory, i'll post some tweaks when I get back from holiday!

P

for touch or for wing?? or for both?? :)

Guest ivanmmj

When I run the patcher, I get an error that the file that it's meant to patch isn't the same as the file that I have. Tells me that maybe the file has been patched already, but I know for a fact that it hasn't since I even made an extra copy of it. Do some wings come with slighly different firmware? I edited the file by hand, too, but that message that the patcher gave me scared me out of using it....

ROM Version: 4.10.531.3 WWE

ROM Date: 03/15/07

Radio version: 02.83.90

Protocol version: 4.1.13.37

ExtROM version: 4.10.531.103

Guest eskasi

Hi Paul, I finally bit the bullet, performed the changes and flashed the unit.....whew....I triple checked everything but it was still a nervous time waiting for the phone to soft reset.

Am I correct to assume that we will need to go through this procedure again if we do a ROM update? Will all the details/instructions/variables remain the same for different (newer) ROM versions?

Guest Paul (MVP)

Yes, if you do a ROM update you'll need to do it again. The location might change slightly, but the instructions and pattern to look for should remain the same.

P

Guest wayne2
There are a few things you can do to increase program memory, i'll post some tweaks when I get back from holiday!

P

Hi Paul, Thanks again. My Wing is alive and kicking with new 6MB pagepool size. I'm wondering if you've had time to post some other tweaks to recover program memory. My program memory gets less over the course of about 2 days. I know that my "good mobile messaging" for over the air e-mail is a program memory hog. Not sure if that is contributing to it getting less. Also, if you have other suggestions to get back more wing storage memory, that would help to. I've already moved temporary internet files to the storage card as well as live search and a couple of other programs. Would like to find other things maybe to reroute to the storage card if possible...

Guest genaldar
No, this patch is ONLY for the Wing... I could make a Touch one tho :)

P

I'd like to think my boneheadedness was the inspiration for this patch :P.

Guest PhiberRun

Paul,

Thank you for salvaging my WING. I almost returned it due to the lack of program memory. T-Mobile should reward you for saving their customers.

Job well done!!!! :)

Guest Radical Ignoramus

Thank you, Paul. I've been looking for this very fix from the moment I first checked my Wing's memory.It was my one complaint (thusfar) on the phone.

Guest frozinwater
It booted initially but I kept getting errors and it was slow as hell. So I did another soft reset. It never made it past the Windows Mobile loading screen again. Thats when I checked the dump and realized my error. If anyone else makes my mistake, and they get it to boot once, hopefully they can correct it then.

I got my replacement already though so all is well, this wing even has less play in the slide and overall just seems to have a higher build quality. At least it will be once I get my replacement invisible shield, hopefully that'll come in Friday or Saturday.

what is it that you did wrong bcuz the same thing happened to me and it was acting retardely slow, but then i changed it to the 6mb and i was fine.

Guest Mi|enko

Well. . . I only did the 6mb, as to avoid some of the problems I've been seeing with the utilization of the 4mb. I used your auto-patch and it worked like a charm. Waiting on the wing to be flashed now. . . waiting. . . waiting. . . waiting. . . waiting. . . . waiting. . . waiting. . . waiting. . . waiting. . . waiting for you to. . . come along. . . waiting for you to tell me what went wrong (please nothing go wrong).

It's almost done. . . I can feel it.

'tis done. . . resetting. . . crossing fingers. . .

TMo bootscreen. . . My custom boot screen. . . (whew that's a good sign). . . and the survey says. . . I have 17 megs free upon reboot, with Slide2Unlock, Wisbar Advanced, Wisbar advanced desktop, activesync, my exchange server email, msn, and a few other programs running. Voice has been removed from startup, so I'm sure that is helpin'. Now, 17 megs may not seem like much, but I have 17 megs with all of these programs running, where I had 5 megs available with the exact same setup. To me that's a huge different. I have more ram available than space on the device. haha

Guest gman65

I bit the nerve bullet and dove in.... I must have typed everything 3 times just to make sure...lol i did the 6mb pool and is working great. Thanks P.

Walter AKA Gman65 RET Navy Gunner :)