Paul's guide to... changing the HTC Touch / T-Mobile Wing PagePool size

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Just_Chillin
thanks guys.... i did the 6mb on my T-mobile wing and it rund exellent... a month ago when i had broke my LCD screen i tried the 4mb it was still gettin low memory messages. i called HTC mailed them my phone last week via Fedex. they reset it and i had to start from scratch. the not attatch said i had illegal software on my phone so i got back on this site and did a 6mb pagepool hack... thanks this is so great.. (now i just pray i dont break my screen anymore) expensive...

SNES on my wing

• 4 weeks later...
Guest bboyillusion

Step 3: Extract the ROM from your device

We're now going to extract the ROM from your device. This is a completely safe operation, so don't panic yet ;) Take the following steps...

- Ensure device is connected to PC and Activesync'd / WMDC'd

- Open a command prompt at your new directory

- Type 'pdocread -l' (minus the quotes of course)

You will then be presented with something that looks like this:

70.95M (0x46f2000) TrueFFS

|		   3.06M (0x30fc00) Part00

|		   3.06M (0x310000) Part01

|		  64.82M (0x40d2000) Part02

We want to read the Part02 area (the bottom line above), so...

- Type 'pdocread 0 0x40d2000 Part02.dump' substituting 0x40d2000 with the appropriate value from your 'pdocread -l' output

You will see something like 'CopyTFFSToFile(0x0, 0x40d2000, Part02.dump)' appear, and after a wait of a few minutes (it is dumping a lot of data!), you'll be returned to the command prompt. During the operation you can open Windows Explorer to your working directory and see the file growing.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Denithor

Just as an FYI, the latest ROM update from T-mobile for the Wing sets the pagepool size back to 8. Think someone finally realized it was a bad idea at 12.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest yitolik

Hi paul

I have tried your instructions on my HTC Herald but in last step, while writing the edited poll to device, my pc gave an error on command line

C:\poll size>pdocwrite Part02_4mb.dump

CopyFileToTFFS(Part02_4mb.dump:0, 0, 03fd5fff)

ERROR: could not read 0x= bytes og preceeding sector data at 0x3fd5e00

and now when I press the on/off button nothing happens.

please help me.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest papeluv

It worked great for me! Thanks!

Went from about 6-7 average before to about 17MB now!

Fyi as in a previous post, the new wings are preset a@ 8 instead of the former 12.

As long as you have a clue about the way your phone and computer works there shouldnt be any problem!

Thanks again!

17MB free

Using HomeScreen ++ overclocked at a stable 286Mhz

8gig microSD

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Guest manfred33

Hey Paul!

Thanks so much for this procedure!! I am at best a novice at programming type stuff, but I followed your instructions to a 'T' and it worked great!! I have almost 20 megs now on my Wing and that's awesome!! I set the pagepool size on mine to 4mb, because when I checked the default size after downloading the dump files, it was already set to 8mb. However, I just recently flashed the ROM with an updae from T-mobile, which helped with some of the quirks that I have encountered with this confounded thing and maybe that update reset the pagepool size to 8 mb. And of course the memory naturally has always dogged this thing... Anways, so far, it has run just fine with a pagepool of only 4mb. Naturally, if I run into any problems, I will post an update... I look forward to finding more of your helpful tips on improving the performance on the Wing.... Thanks again!

Manfred

BTW- if i should end up having issues, as long as my wing reboots, I should be able to just edit the dump file to 6 mb and rewrite it to my wing, correct?

• 1 month later...
Guest mmartini

Hi guys,

I still have problems on my s730.

When I perform the rom-read, the standard command doesn't work. Looking on web I added some parameters like -b -h FLASHDR etc ...

and I was able to create my part02.dump file.

I changed it using the exe file for 6 Mb patch.

Now I cannot write the dumped file into my s730 since I'm having an error like: the device is not functioning.

This is the same error I had in reading rom, but I solved adding more parameters.

Now I'm not able to write files ....

Are there special features for S730??

Guest mmartini

Nobody with these problems?

Hi guys,

When I perform the rom-read, the standard command doesn't work. Looking on web I added some parameters like -b -h FLASHDR etc ...

Now I cannot write the dumped file into my s730 since I'm having an error like: the device is not functioning.

This is the same error I had in reading rom, but I solved adding more parameters.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest richardalcock
Hello Paul, thanks for the work sofar. I am having some issues with getting the dump file.

Sofar I have ran the ROM unlocker and downloaded the pdocread file. When I run "pdocread -l" I get the following for my part 2

"50.63M <0x32a0000> Part02"

When I type "pdocread 0 0x32a0000 part02.dump" I get this response

copy TFFSToFile(0x0, 0x32a0000, part02.dump)

ERROR: ITReadDisk : Read 00000000 bytes - A device attached to the system is not functioning

And I don't get a part02.dump file. Any ideas? thanks!

Kinoons

Guest richardalcock

Hi

Did you ever get a solution to this, I'm having the same problems?

Regards

Richard

Hello Paul, thanks for the work sofar. I am having some issues with getting the dump file.

Sofar I have ran the ROM unlocker and downloaded the pdocread file. When I run "pdocread -l" I get the following for my part 2

"50.63M <0x32a0000> Part02"

When I type "pdocread 0 0x32a0000 part02.dump" I get this response

copy TFFSToFile(0x0, 0x32a0000, part02.dump)

ERROR: ITReadDisk : Read 00000000 bytes - A device attached to the system is not functioning

And I don't get a part02.dump file. Any ideas? thanks!

Kinoons

Guest relax98

Hi Paul,

I want to extract a specific program from a ROM and pack it into a cab file so that I can install this program into another device. So far I have managed to dump the ROM into a dump folder but don't know how to proceed further. Your expertise is of great help!

Ray

Guest Jabib

alrighty paul, if this works, i OWE YOU BIG!

right now, im at the step before soft ressetting.. waiting for the dump to finish

i really hope my fone doesnt get messed up lol

its been about 5-10minutes, now for the soft reset

done, my program now says 51.9 mB total instead of like 43 :excl:

thankoo

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Leviathon01
I get the same exact result when I execute 'pdocread -l' in my pagepool folder. I don't know which hex value to use. I have a Wing with WM6 Pro. Thanks.

NM, the location for the Wing w/ WM6 is 0x37B55A.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest beecee

Hey buddy

I am new to this forum and new to the htc mobile era. i have the p3450 and i change the wm6.5 last week. i offen come accross the memory low message in wm6.5. today i go thro ur format to change the pagepool.

i found that mine is 2mb instead 8 or 12mb. i change that in to 4mb. i soft reset my mobile all are going right sofar. will post after i use it a while how this is useful to come out from the memory low message. thank you for ur superb how to do it and the softwares.

will come back offen and post in this forum.

• 1 month later...
Guest softsr
Hi guys,

I have the same problem with my S730.

I could download page02 with following command:

pdocread -w -d FLASHDR -b 0x800 -p Part02 0 0x4180000 Part02.raw

but can't find in downloaded file necessary string: no 'NKKD8', no 'FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF 9B 4F FF FF 64 B0 00 00'.

The file patch T_MobileWingPagePool6MB also says:

The file you selected to patch is not the samefile intended to patch...

but still working and make something with this downloaded Part02.raw (see attached file).

And of course I have no idea how to upload this file to phone, even when I make it right.

post-581709-1251730196_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

HEY PAUL, IM TRYING TO DO THIS PAGEPOOL SIZE EDITING, I HAVE A WING, WHEN I GO TO COMMAND PROMPT AND TYPE IN 'PDOCREAD-L' IT DOES NOTHING. IVE DOWNLOADED THE CAB AND ZIP FILES YOU RECOMMENDED BUT I GET NOTHING. CAN YOU HELP, IM NEW TO THIS. THANX

pdocread.exe

• 1 month later...
Guest Qi Xiao

Hi Paul,

Firstly, thank you for your guiding to change the pagepool.

When i have it try in my device (HTC S1+), the performance is not obvious. So i'm curious of your device type of HTC-Touch? Are you use HTC S1?

Besides, when starting the command“pdocread -l”.Information are shown as the attachment. There is no “Part02” area like at your process. Should i do the following with “Part01” seen in the picture of the attachment.

Thanks!Waiting for your reply.

accessory:

post-670454-1269875998_thumb.jpg