• Announcements

• Reminder - MoDaCo position on illegal content   07/30/15

ILLEGAL CONTENT I'd like to just reaffirm MoDaCo's position regarding piracy and illegal content in the light of some recent questions / postings. Posts will be censored by myself or my moderation team if the contain or link to: Illegal / pirated / cracked software or sites that host such softwareNintendo emulators / ROMs or sites hosting them (in light of Nintendo's legal stance)CUSTOM ROMS You may discuss and post links to custom device ROMs on MoDaCo, provided the following rules are adhered to: ROMs must not contain any illegal 3rd party software (this includes trial versions included without permission)ROMs must give full credit to the original authorISSUES If you have any issues with this policy, please contact PaulOBrien directly via PM.
    • Reminder: Selling items on the forum directly is not allowed   07/30/15

Please note that selling items on the forum directly is not allowed by the forum rules. There is a forum for eBay auctions whereby you can list the items on eBay and link to them there. This is the ONLY forum for this type of activity. You may also advertise links to the eBay forum in your signature. Please note that selling directly in contravention of these rules will result in a warning / suspension / ban.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Build Quality

10 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

The sliding mechanism on my Hermes/M3100 was "tight". It didn't wobble at all, and the two halves were snug to each other - even after a few drops (!).

My new Touch Dual, straight out of the box, isn't like this at all. When "closed" there is a 1mm gap between the halves which closes under pressure. When I press the keypad the gap closes. It feels like something is a little loose. This also happens when I press the screen in the top right hand corner. You can actually hear something creaking against something else.

I am being paranoid about my new toy? Are all Duals like this? Or should I be sending it back (despite the perils)?

Posted · Report post

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that the slider mechanism isn't a tadge on the loose side.

Cheers ! :)

I hadn't noticed the 1mm gap but assume this is due to the spring(s) that work the slider and that it probably helps a smooth transition. After a week or so I noticed that the slider had become a bit looser and that reaching over the top to dab the power button had become a bit trickier. Not enough to worry me though and, again, i assumed this was normal amd acceptable.

What has been worrying me though is the creaking back cover but I'm blaming myself for this. I had to remove and replace the SIM card and had a nightmare trying to (i) get it out and (ii) get the rubber lug to sit flush with the casing. Putting the stylus back into its slot seems to semi-unclip the back and it doesn't now seem all that secure.

I've thought about sending it back to Orange as I pay for their insurance but haven't been all that bothered so far. Most of my phones have needed replacing at some point so I'll wait till something major goes wrong.

Posted · Report post

I'm with you there on the "wait till something major goes wrong" plan.

Posted · Report post

i've had my new one for a week now and the other day I noicted that my two halfs wernt fitting together then closed, I can push them together by like 1mm which is worrying me too!

Posted · Report post

The build quality is definitely poor compared to that of the TyTN II. It seems like they rushed this phone out to compete properly with the changing market. Maybe if they hadn't rushed it out we might have had GPS/Wifi included.

Posted · Report post

I stuck to the 'Wait till something goes wrong' and then something did. (Front camera issue).

My new one seemed a lot more tight but 1 month on it's got loose again.

Posted · Report post

Damn it! First I buy a KJAM and that died on me 3 times, and now I buy a touch dual and I'm hearing negative stories about it too :) I like mine so far, and the gap is fine -- at least it isn't too tight and pushing in buttons without you wanting it to!

Posted · Report post

A month on from my last post I'm glad to report that the slider hasn't got any looser.

To be honest, I haven't given it much thought since so I wouldn't class this as a "negative story"

Posted · Report post

A month on from my last post I'm glad to report that the slider hasn't got any looser.

To be honest, I haven't given it much thought since so I wouldn't class this as a "negative story"

Has anyone compared the Dual to other sliders?

My partner's Samsung G800 waggles more than the Dual and Samsung are experts in the slider market. I really think that people look for issues sometimes and us PDA geeks rarely use sliders so maybe this is normal for a slider?

Posted · Report post

Hooray :D That makes me very happy :( That's good, because it seems like such a good little phone. Much lighter and sexier than my old beat up phone :(