Build Quality

Guest hennapod

Guest hennapod

The sliding mechanism on my Hermes/M3100 was "tight". It didn't wobble at all, and the two halves were snug to each other - even after a few drops (!).

My new Touch Dual, straight out of the box, isn't like this at all. When "closed" there is a 1mm gap between the halves which closes under pressure. When I press the keypad the gap closes. It feels like something is a little loose. This also happens when I press the screen in the top right hand corner. You can actually hear something creaking against something else.

I am being paranoid about my new toy? Are all Duals like this? Or should I be sending it back (despite the perils)?

Guest Disco Stu

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that the slider mechanism isn't a tadge on the loose side.

Cheers ! :)

I hadn't noticed the 1mm gap but assume this is due to the spring(s) that work the slider and that it probably helps a smooth transition. After a week or so I noticed that the slider had become a bit looser and that reaching over the top to dab the power button had become a bit trickier. Not enough to worry me though and, again, i assumed this was normal amd acceptable.

What has been worrying me though is the creaking back cover but I'm blaming myself for this. I had to remove and replace the SIM card and had a nightmare trying to (i) get it out and (ii) get the rubber lug to sit flush with the casing. Putting the stylus back into its slot seems to semi-unclip the back and it doesn't now seem all that secure.

I've thought about sending it back to Orange as I pay for their insurance but haven't been all that bothered so far. Most of my phones have needed replacing at some point so I'll wait till something major goes wrong.

i've had my new one for a week now and the other day I noicted that my two halfs wernt fitting together then closed, I can push them together by like 1mm which is worrying me too!

• 4 weeks later...
Guest creamhackered

The build quality is definitely poor compared to that of the TyTN II. It seems like they rushed this phone out to compete properly with the changing market. Maybe if they hadn't rushed it out we might have had GPS/Wifi included.

Guest greenturtle

I stuck to the 'Wait till something goes wrong' and then something did. (Front camera issue).

My new one seemed a lot more tight but 1 month on it's got loose again.

Guest Laser_iCE

Damn it! First I buy a KJAM and that died on me 3 times, and now I buy a touch dual and I'm hearing negative stories about it too :) I like mine so far, and the gap is fine -- at least it isn't too tight and pushing in buttons without you wanting it to!

Guest Disco Stu

A month on from my last post I'm glad to report that the slider hasn't got any looser.

To be honest, I haven't given it much thought since so I wouldn't class this as a "negative story"

Guest bydandie
A month on from my last post I'm glad to report that the slider hasn't got any looser.

To be honest, I haven't given it much thought since so I wouldn't class this as a "negative story"

Has anyone compared the Dual to other sliders?

My partner's Samsung G800 waggles more than the Dual and Samsung are experts in the slider market. I really think that people look for issues sometimes and us PDA geeks rarely use sliders so maybe this is normal for a slider?