13/10 1.2 - the MoDaCo Custom ROM is here (rooted with custom Kernel with swap/netfilter + more!)

Guest PaulOBrien

Hi everybody.

Wifi tether now works on the Galaxy ! The iptables binary is missing, but you can use the one shipped with version 1.52 and put it in /system/bin/.

@Paul: Could you embed it in your next ROM ?

Hello NicolaF,

Do you know how I can only make an upgrade of the kernel ? I got I5 firmware but I anticipate ipfilter is not enable. I was looking to bring an hybrid ROM with a new kernel, but I got no idea how to extract Paul's kernel from its ROM and insert it in my curent running phone.

Rgs,

TM

Hi everybody.

Wifi tether now works on the Galaxy ! The iptables binary is missing, but you can use the one shipped with version 1.52 and put it in /system/bin/.

@Paul: Could you embed it in your next ROM ?

hey can u tell me how u got it work? My log say:

loading wlan.ko module...

insmo: cant open /system/lib/modules/wlan.ko

and

configuring WiFi interface

wlan_loader:not found

the rest setup correctly

im using MaDoCo rom with netfilter enabled

thx for help

Hi,

@Paul: Your ROM is fantastic, but I'm missing the TAP/TUN devices for openvpn, so I decided to build my own kernel. It works (almost, i need a fresher ifconfig), but I always break netfilter (wifi tether fails setting FW rules).

Could you please post your .config ?

Thanks

any eta on the I5 version? I'm debating weather to update or not. Are we looking at days or over a week?

same for me, i am waiting for the I5 version to update. as far as i've heard so far, great work btw!

you can download the original I5 firmware for odin here: http://forum.i7500world.com/viewtopic.php?...=33&start=0

Edited by mrbrdo

Hi,

@Paul: Your ROM is fantastic, but I'm missing the TAP/TUN devices for openvpn, so I decided to build my own kernel. It works (almost, i need a fresher ifconfig), but I always break netfilter (wifi tether fails setting FW rules).

Could you please post your .config ?

Thanks

Hi,

have u make the iptables executable?

use adb shell

chmod 755 /system/bin/iptables

Guest NicolaF
Hello NicolaF,

Do you know how I can only make an upgrade of the kernel ? I got I5 firmware but I anticipate ipfilter is not enable. I was looking to bring an hybrid ROM with a new kernel, but I got no idea how to extract Paul's kernel from its ROM and insert it in my curent running phone.

Rgs,

TM

Hello,

Flashing only the boot partition (using flashboot) might work. Be sure to do a nandroid backup before.

Regards

Guest NicolaF
Hi,

have u make the iptables executable?

use adb shell

chmod 755 /system/bin/iptables

Hi,

Yes, i have it. Kernel compilation finally succeeded, and everything works almost fine, except vpn : openvpn starts fine, tun0 is here, routes are OK, but no way to ping server. To be continued...

For those who are interested, see attachment for my .config.

Regards.

EDIT:

OpenVPN works !

Steps are :

1. Rebuild your kernel using android.config as .config
  2. Download openvpn here and put it in /system
  3. ln -s /system/xbin /system/xbin/bb (openvpn searches route and ifconfig here, don't know why)
  4. Put update-resolv-conf where you want (/system/bin for instance). This is the Debian one, modified to use setprop and not resolvconf.
  5. Launch openvpn : openvpn --script-security 2 --config /path/to/your/openvpn.conf
Your configuration file must contain the following options to work (see attachment) :
  • dev-node /dev/tun (won't create /dev/tunX without that)
  • up /system/bin/update-resolv-conf (to update DNS servers list with the infos pushed by the server)
  • down /system/bin/update-resolv-conf (to reset DNS servers list when shutting VPN down)

Remember that if you are using certificates, the private key file should not be world or group readable, or openvpn wont start.

WARNING : at the moment, the update-resolv-conf script fails to restore DNS settings (getprop net.dns1/2 returns an empty string, so no way to save those properties before modifying them). If anyone has an idea...

Have fun !

android.config.txt

update_resolv_conf.txt

client.conf.txt

Edited by NicolaF

Guest Trass3r

This ROM includes the XXIH8 radio, but I am not 100% sure whether the script is installing it properly (I was already on XXIH8 radio)... any feedback would be appreciated.

No, it doesn't work. I still have IG8.

Besides that it works great, a real speedup :D

Now I just need to get me an iptables executable, would be cool if you could include it in the next release  :P EDIT:

HTC pdf viewer doesn't work anymore, the libpdfreader.so must be reuploaded to system/lib :D

Now I just need a working WLAN driver with monitor mode and packet injection for full happiness  :)

Edited by Trass3r

Guest NicolaF
You realise you can pull the current kernel config from any running device by grabbing /proc/config.gz and ungzipping right?

P

Hi,

No, I didn't know... Nevermind, I learned a lot building my (first) linux kernel.

Regards,

NicolaF

Besides that it works great, a real speedup :D

Now I just need to get me an iptables executable, would be cool if you could include it in the next release :P EDIT:

HTC pdf viewer doesn't work anymore, the libpdfreader.so must be reuploaded to system/lib :D

Now I just need a working WLAN driver with monitor mode and packet injection for full happiness :)

There is now a new version with all included available. http://code.google.com/p/android-wifi-teth...=Samsung+Galaxy

Hi,

after installing the ROM chrooting in my debian on sdcard seems to be unpossible.

After executing bootdeb I get these errors:

insmod: init_module '/data/local/bin/unionfs.ko' failed (Exec format error)

mount: mounting unionfs on /system/etc failed: No such device

mount: mounting unionfs on /root failed: No such device

mount: mounting unionfs on /sbin failed: No such device

ln: /etc/mtab: Read-only file system

Guest kam187
Hey!

I really want to see II5 update on this ROM!

When will it be available?

ty for Your good work!

I5 seems to have alot of bugs which are really winding me up. I might just downgrade to H7/H8

Guest mrbrdo

By the way, would it be possible to get Bluetooth OBEX push somehow too? It's possible on some HTC phones with 3rd party apps, but they don't seem to work on galaxy for some reason.

Also, did Samsung release enough source code so that it would be possible to make a Donut ROM at this point? Or we still need more sources...

Thanks

Hello Paul,

I attempted to direcly upgrade an IG1 with this ROM, but Radio is still stuck to IG1 although the upgrade goes without error.

I can confirm that. Started with an actual virgin Galaxy, running Baseband version I7500JVIG4. After flashing, here is the About screen:

Model number: Galaxy with MCR 1.1

Baseband version: I7500JVIG4

Kernel version: 2.6.27-mck-1.0 root@vmware-intrepid-x64

same for me, i am waiting for the I5 version to update. as far as i've heard so far, great work btw!

you can download the original I5 firmware for odin here: http://forum.i7500world.com/viewtopic.php?...=33&start=0

The firmware download link is broken since the i7500world VPS has down. The firmware was first uploaded at androidforums.

I5 firmware bugs are listed at androidforums as well.

Edited by dandv

With H8 and this MoDaCo ROM and nothing else, Google Maps just downloaded from the Market force closes when I search for something.

Does anyone else experience this?

With H8 and this MoDaCo ROM and nothing else, Google Maps just downloaded from the Market force closes when I search for something.

Does anyone else experience this?

UPDATE: I've flashed my phone back to just H8, and Google Maps (v3.1.2) now works flawlessly. If anyone else can reproduce this, we might have found an issue with the MoDaCo ROM v1.1.