09/Feb 1.7 - MoDaCo Custom ROM - U8230 Vanilla Style (now with online kitchen)

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest bounty123
wipe fixed mine too.

Paul i was wondering is it possible for you to post the previous version off this rom from the previous thread plus the call-reboot bug fixed, because i don't really use A2SD or ssh and switch sd cards a lot between other phones.

thax

If you dont create an ext2 partition, doesn't it just function without a2sd? or is it mandatory with this ROM? (Btw. I'll definitely go with a2sd once I get brave enough to install this :D

I also would like to know if Roadsync is uninstallable.

Guest helikopter

i flashed it, too. after an hour of usage seems fine. thank you, paul!

this is my first rom which has a2sd so please allow me a noobie question: how can i install apps on the sd card? i created an ext2 partition, but apps are still installing into the internal memory (no error messages when mounting, no error messages while installing, everything seems to be ok). do i have to chose the option somewhere?

Guest mandroid

Just joined the forum, but been a visiting guest for awhile, it's been compulsive viewing watching the ups and downs of the custom ROM development for the Pulse ;) well done all the Devs involved. I agree with giabbe1 post about a howto video, it's so much easier to follow a video :(

Staying tuned, didn't know custom ROM development could be such gripping stuff :D

Guest helikopter
i flashed it, too. after an hour of usage seems fine. thank you, paul!

this is my first rom which has a2sd so please allow me a noobie question: how can i install apps on the sd card? i created an ext2 partition, but apps are still installing into the internal memory (no error messages when mounting, no error messages while installing, everything seems to be ok). do i have to chose the option somewhere?

i can see no google maps on my device. as the rom description says, it should have been installed on the data partition. does that really mean that something is not ok?

Guest Nikki Locke
Did you wipe after you installed the ROM instead of before?

I have no Google Maps either - and I wiped after - should it have been before?

What do I do now - presumably wipe again (rats!) and reinstall the ROM?

Or can I just reinstall without wiping?

Edited by Nikki Locke

Guest Helvetic

Afternoon...

Have Modaco removed this ROM?? I cant seem to download it :D any way that I could get a copy...DYING to test it out!

Thx

Matt

maybe Z share it???? pleeaase!??

Edited by Helvetic

Guest helikopter
Did you wipe after you installed the ROM instead of before?

P

after. can this be a problem?

now as you mention it, it came to my mind that after the rom install there was a notification that i'm running out of space, so it's sure that my apps weren't migrated onto the card.

after. can this be a problem?

now as you mention it, it came to my mind that after the rom install there was a notification that i'm running out of space, so it's sure that my apps weren't migrated onto the card.

Google Maps was moved onto Data Partition -> Wipe cleans Data Partition -> no Google Maps :D

So u have to do the wipe before installing this rom, or just try reinstall!

Paul you are a legend worked first time no wipe and no T-Mobile rublish very happy! :-) Will donate again!

Just to let you know Paul this rom feels alot faster to use than the MCR 1.3 based on the stock Tmobile ROM.

Guest Nikki Locke
Google Maps was moved onto Data Partition -> Wipe cleans Data Partition -> no Google Maps :D

So u have to do the wipe before installing this rom, or just try reinstall!

I tried just a reinstall, and it worked fine. Thanks, Paul.

Got a small Problem.

All Apps running fine from SD Card after installing this Rom. But, when i check Market, no Apps are installed! How can i fix market, or have i to reinstall all apps?

Guest Nikki Locke
And please, can someone also posts a simple and comprehensive step-by-step tutorial for super-newbies on how to go from an out of the box pulse to this rom installed and working

Here is my attempt:

Install the CD that came with the phone onto your PC - this is necessary to install USB drivers, adb, etc., so the computer can talk to the phone.

Plug the USB cable in, and make sure the drivers load OK, and that you can see the phone.

Make sure you have synced all your contacts somewhere off the phone, and backed up everything you want to keep.

Download (to your PC) the superboot root image http://loadbalancing.modaco.com/download.p...255m95n7i5x53sh

and the recovery image http://loadbalancing.modaco.com/download.p...gl5iiciea41vu4t

and the MoDaCo Custom 8230 ROM http://loadbalancing.modaco.com/download.p...izd3ae3bcbh1gow

and the stock T-Mobile image (in case of emergency) http://loadbalancing.modaco.com/download.p...yfiovy4dsq4a7ch

Turn the phone off, and unplug the USB cable.

Hold the volume down and red (end call) buttons, and press the power button. This puts the phone into bootloader mode.

Plug in the USB cable.

Unzip the superboot file, copy AdbWinApi.dll from the CD that came with the phone into the 1.1-pulse-superboot folder, and run .install-superboot-windows.bat.

Unzip the amonrecovery zip, copy AdbWinApi.dll from the CD that came with the phone into the 1.0-pulse-amonrarecovery folder, and run ._install-recovery-windows.bat.

Now restart the phone by removing the battery.

Go into the applications list (bottom right button on the home screen), and run the "Quick Boot" application that superboot has installed. Choose Recovery, and, when you get the sudo screen asking whether to allow root access, allow it. This puts the phone into recovery mode, which I think is a kind of boot image provided by amonrecovery. It's a bit like Windows recovery mode, or booting a Windows machine with a floppy disk - you can do stuff, but the main operating system is not running.

The first useful thing to do is to take a backup of the entire phone, using the Nandroid Backup option on the recovery menu. This backs up a complete image of the phone's ROM to the SD card, which you can restore later. I then turned USB mass storage on (so I could get to the SD card from my computer), and backed up that image to my computer.

Now wipe the phone by choosing the factory reset option. You will lose all your settings at this point!

Rename the MoDaCo ROM zip (update-pulse-u8230edition-1.0-core-signed.zip) to plain update.zip, and copy it from your computer onto the SD card.

Turn off USB mass storage (so the phone can see the SD card again), and run the "Apply sdcard:update.zip" option. This installs the MoDaCo ROM image.

Finally reboot the phone (from the menu). The reboot takes ages. This is to be expected.

Now test out your new phone. If happy, download your applications again (the My Downloads option in Market should still show them, and even the paid for ones should download and reinstall OK).

If not happy, go back into recovery mode, and restore the backup you took.

Guest bounty123

Thanks for the detailed info.

I'd like a confirmation on a matter, which I'm not entirely sure of and caused some debates among us.

Let's say I have to send my customized (recovery img+modaco rom) phone in for warranty service. I therefore reinstall the original ROM on it. Does this also delete the recovery image, so t-mobile can't find out that it was customized at all? Or should the recovery image be deleted in some other way? After putting back the original ROM, can the recovery mode even be accessed in any way?

Guest JingleManSweep

Hello,

I just tried to replace my firmware, and...

Scrap that, it is working. Cheers Paul, just took a few minutes to boot. Haven't explored the new ROM much yet, just sorting out my Gmail account settings. Looks great so far. Expect a donation from me shortly to help pay for that new Pulse you just bought yourself (again).

Louis

Guest Nikki Locke

Hi, Paul

I notice that /system/build.prop has (amongst other things)...

ro.product.locale.language=fr

ro.product.locale.region=FR

Would it be helpful to change these to English?

I also notice

ro.build.host=localhost.localdomain

If I make the filesystem rw, and change this to something else, will it give me a proper hostname, which works with DHCP?

Is this stuff documented anywhere?

Nikki

Guest martinbrook

post-602982-1259873835_thumb.jpg

new android and new kernel.

Just having difficulty with roadsync. Anyone else having issues logging in. Was OK with stock kernel and stock android and also OK with new kernel and stock android. Someone mentioned ssl?

Martin

Guest psionandy
Hi, Paul

I notice that /system/build.prop has (amongst other things)...

ro.product.locale.language=fr

ro.product.locale.region=FR

Would it be helpful to change these to English?

I also notice

ro.build.host=localhost.localdomain

If I make the filesystem rw, and change this to something else, will it give me a proper hostname, which works with DHCP?

Is this stuff documented anywhere?

Nikki

would those FRs explain why my calendar is in french...... any idea how I can change it on the device?

Guest martinbrook
Cool Martin. Does DDMS / adb logcat work with your new kernel?

P

I posted to a thread earlier :-

QUOTE(martinbrook @ Nov 30 2009, 20:57) post_snapback.gifWill have a look here. I did get a device id from my kernel at the weekend instead of the usual ???????????

logcat working on the new kernel both on the device from adb shell and from the host adb logcat.

Had to clear the buffers first with adb logcat -c

As specified here :-

> Yes it is a reproducible case. Exact content of the log change but it

> always finish by "logcat read: Invalid argument" and I need to restart

> the mobile to be able to read any log again.

> It seems that something is getting twisted up in the logging.

This really seems like a bug, but there is a quick workaround:

run "adb logcat -c" once to clear the log, then "adb logcat" will work again until the log fills up.

Florian

Martin

Don't know what DDMS is, YET.

Any ideas on roadsync. I think it has somthing to do with the ssl stuff. Again I don't know anything about that, YET :D

standing on the shoulders of giants

Guest racingclub
would those FRs explain why my calendar is in french...... any idea how I can change it on the device?

Settings - Locale & Text - Select Locale - English

I had to reboot after as well