09/Feb 1.7 - MoDaCo Custom ROM - U8230 Vanilla Style (now with online kitchen)

Guest PaulOBrien

u8230-1.7-1.pngu8230-1.7-2.png

Note: Version 1.8 Beta now available - click for more details!

This ROM is now ONLY for Pulse devices running the 'December Update'.

If you are not running the update for any reason, a link to the 1.1 is included below.

I'm pleased to present my MoDaCo Custom ROM for the T-Mobile Pulse! A 'wipe' is highly recommended it switching from the Standard ROM / T-Mobile style MCR ROM!

You can now create a customised ROM containing only the parts you required - see the second post in this topic for details!

This ROM is based on the ROM for the U8230 device, and is VERY vanilla Android, with few of the Pulse enhancements. Only install this ROM if you want a 'stock' Android experience. This is a 1.0 release and therefore may contain bugs - proceed with caution!

MCR now optionally includes Wavesecure in ROM, allowing you to lock / locate / wipe your device remotely in the event of loss and be notified if the SIM is changed. The application cannot be uninstalled by a thief and we are actively working with Wavesecure to ensure that in a forthcoming release, your settings will survive a hard reset!

This ROM is based on the release ROM for the Pulse (together with my own optimisations) for the best possible performance!

Included in the ROM

- ROM is fully odex'd

- Built with my new MCR build process which reduces size and boosts the speed of the ROM

- Includes the MoDaCo Custom Kernel, which adds automatic compcache, swap support, EXT3/4 support and much more!

- Fixed build.prop so you can correctly download protected apps

- Rooted with 'adb remount' permission and superuser APK

- A2SD included (fully automatic - thanks cyanogen!) - create a EXT2/3/4 (3 or 4 recommended) partition as your second partition to use. You must NOT have a swap partition on your SD, or it will refuse to mount.

- Added Jbed Java

- Added Titanium Backup

- Added WiFi Status indicator, with kind permission of Andrew Schwimmer

- Added QuickBoot for booting into recovery mode / bootloader

- Added Dropbear SSH running by default, check 'About' screen for password (port 2222) - If you have problems using Roadsync, run 'adb shell /system/bin/removedropbear.sh'

- Added busybox 1.15.3 with Droid Explorer support

- Added nano 2.09 - text editor for use in shell mode

- Added parted and sqlite tools

- Added terminfo and settings to boot.img to allow nano etc. usea

- Added files required for Debian linux

- Added Open GL ES driver from Ion for improved graphics performance

- Moved Google Maps to data partition (better for reclaiming space after updating via market)

- You can now check your MoDaCo Custom ROM (MCR) version from the about menu

- Optional 'WaveSecure' add on pack (puts Wavesecure in ROM)

Downloads

This ROM is also available customised to your exact requirements in the MoDaCo Custom Custom ROM online kitchen - check it out!

Main ROM download: http://www.romraid.com/paul/pulse/update-p...core-signed.zip

Version 1.1 download for devices without the 'December Update': http://www.romraid.com/paul/pulse/update-p...core-signed.zip

'Wavesecure' add on pack: http://www.wavesecure.com/installations/update.zip

ENSURE YOU DO A NANDROID BACKUP SO YOU CAN 'ROLL BACK' IF REQUIRED!

Please note that first boot may take a little while, especially if you have a lot of apps on your A2SD partition. Be patient! If you want a real clean start or you have issues with your existing A2SD installed apps when you boot, you need to wipe your EXT2 partition on SD too by executing 'adb shell rm -r /system/sd/app', 'adb shell rm -r /system/sd/app-private' and 'adb shell reboot' :(

Installing the December Update

To check if you already have the December Update - turn the device off, then turn if on with 'volume down' and 'end call' held. If the build date is Nov 26 2009 or newer, you have the December update applied.

If not... the December Update is a requirement for this ROM - use the instructions below to update.

• Download the update file
  • Unzip the downloaded file to a location of your choice on your computer
  • Copy the “dload” folder and all its contents to the root directory of your microSD card
  • Insert the microSD card back into your device
  • On your device select Settings -> SD card -> Phone Storage -> Upgrade
  • The upgrade process will give you several warnings which you need to confirm to continue - then press the Upgrade option to begin the update
  • As the update progresses you will see several screens along with a progress bar
  • Once complete you will see a confirmation screen, and your Pulse will automatically restart

Installation

To install the MoDaCo Custom ROM on your Pulse...

- Download this custom ROM from the links above and copy it to your SD card

- Download the custom recovery image and install as detailed in that post. Stay in recovery mode.

- Select 'nandroid backup' from the menu to do a backup

- Select 'Flash zip from sdcard' and apply the main ROM

All done - Feedback / feature requests welcome! :D

Finally, if you would like to show your appreciation for the ROM, please consider supporting MoDaCo by signing up for a MoDaCo Ad Free or MoDaCo Plus account, both of which also give you early access to Beta ROM releases and access to the the online kitchens.

P

Note: Version 1.8 Beta now available - click for more details!

The MoDaCo Custom Custom ROM 1.7 for Pulse - U8230 Vanilla Style online kitchen is now available!

The online kitchen is currently only available to my MoDaCo premium members (those who have signed up to MoDaCo Ad Free or MoDaCo Plus) as it is not yet running on an infrastructure that can support a huge number of users. This will be the case for the foreseeable future as the kitchen system is developed.

With that said, for those who can test the kitchen, enjoy! :D This technology will be coming to other ROMs and will also be available for other ROM creators to use via our Chef's Team.

P

The online kitchen implements a queueing system which means your cooking time varies depending on the sever load. Please be patient! ;)

Click the image below to a ROM update zip tailored to your choices..

http://kitchen.romraid.com/bake.php' method='post'>

MoDaCo Custom Custom ROM 1.7 for Pulse - U8230 Vanilla Style online kitchen

This kitchen has already generated [kitchenstatisticsnew]1.7-update-pulse-u8230vanilla-modacocustomcustomrom[/kitchenstatisticsnew]

Visit this discussion topic for more information on the ROM or to download an uncustomised version without a premium MoDaCo membership.

Click the options below to select what you would like in your ROM, then click the 'Bake' button at the bottom of the list. Yes, it really is that simple. :(

Required Options
Core
  • These are the files that form the core of the ROM and you must have!
Google Applications
maps.png
Google Maps installed to /data partition
  • This is the version of Google Maps shipped with the ROM. If you plan to manually push a new version to the device you can uncheck this box. The Google Maps application is installed to the data partition in MCR to allow easy updating via the market as required.

Third Party Applications
          documentstogo.png
          Documents To Go installed to /data partition
          • This option includes the Documents To Go office application.
          jbed.png
          Jbed Java installed to /data partition
          • This option includes the Jbed Java midlet launcher.
          notepad.png
          Notepad installed to /system partition
          • This option includes the Notes application.
          quickboot.png
          QuickBoot installed to /system partition
          • This option includes the QuickBoot application for easily rebooting to bootloader or recovery mode.

roadsync.png
          RoadSync installed to /system partition
          [*]This option includes the RoadSync Exchange client
          titanium.png
          Titanium Backup installed to /data partitionhere for more details. Titanium Backup enhanced version is FREE to MoDaCo Plus members!

[*]This option includes Titanium Backup, which allows you to back up your applications and restore them WITH links to the Android Market in place. Click
          wavesecure.png
          WaveSecure installed to /system partitionhere.

wifistatus.png
          WiFi status indicator installed to /system partition

[*]This option includes the Wavesecure application detailed [*]This option includes a notification icon to remind you when you have WiFi on but disconnected.
          Expert Options
          Dropbear SSH server installed to /system partition

[*]This allows you to connect to your device over SSH. The SSH password (username 'root') can be found in the device 'About' screen. The device listens on port 2222.

Changelog

- Built with my new MCR build process which reduces size and boost speed of the ROM

- Updated Busybox - ROM is now compatible with Droid Explorer

- Changed display of SSH password so it is no longer sucked into the user agent

- ROM is now fully odex'd - this will shrink your dalvik-cache, improve performance and generally make the world a happier place

- Titanium Backup is now in ROM. This can backup / restore your apps AND re-link them back to the market!

- Jbed Java is now in ROM

- December update is now mandatory

- Updated MCK

- Added MoDaCo Custom Kernel 1.1 with automatic compcache

- Initial Release

Guest helikopter
            I actually did an install of this non-wipe with no issues (yet)!

Sure the missus' will shout if her phone suddenly has developed some issues! :D

P

which means you're heavily interested in cooking a useable rom. good for us! :(

Guest racingclub

I'm getting a stack of process stopped unexpectedly errors.....

How do I do proper wipe to start from 'clean' ? Settings -> SD Card & storage -> Factory reset?

Guest Nikki Locke

Just installed it over the MoDaCo update-pulse-1.3-core-signed.zip.

ShopSavvy works :D

My centre home screen has its icons. If I scroll to the left panel, I see a few icons (Documents to go, TextEdit, Contacts, File Manager, Notepad, ServoSearch and Calculator). If I then swipe to go back (or down), it crashes "The process android.process.acore has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again. [Force close]".

I'm also getting a complaint about being low on space - might there be a connection?

Guest helikopter
            Just installed it over the MoDaCo update-pulse-1.3-core-signed.zip.

ShopSavvy works :D

My centre home screen has its icons. If I scroll to the left panel, I see a few icons (Documents to go, TextEdit, Contacts, File Manager, Notepad, ServoSearch and Calculator). If I then swipe to go back (or down), it crashes "The process android.process.acore has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again. [Force close]".

I'm also getting a complaint about being low on space - might there be a connection?

i reported exactly the same bugs on the other thread of u8230 rom the day before yesterday: left home screen and groups tab in contacts force closes. it was post #39.

after a wipe the issue disappeared.

You re-download them from the Market,

And since you've donwloaded them being logged in with your Google account, it has remembered that you've paid for them.

Guest racingclub

played with this all over lunch.... I much much prefer it to the Pulse rom....

stuff that sent me mad like contacts not syncing due to using the in-built groups all seem to be ok....ShopS works OK etc etc...

Guest giabbe1

can anyone post a video of this rom working on the pulse? And please, can someone also posts a simple and comprehensive step-by-step tutorial for super-newbies on how to go from an out of the box pulse to this rom installed and working (a video of this would be amazing).

I know I am asking for a lot, but I believe a lot of people would appreciate it.

finally: congrats for the great forum, it is really full of great and helpful people!

I hope I'll get a grip of android soon so I'll be able to help the others as well (I know quite a lot on hacking iphones and winmo but never approaced android...)

Guest stupidm4n

is it possible to safely remove roadsync as i dont use it, and if so how ? Thanks

also quick question does anyone know how to stop the box that pops up after you send an sms or make a phone call when using o2 payandgo

Edited by stupidm4n

wipe fixed mine too.

Paul i was wondering is it possible for you to post the previous version off this rom from the previous thread plus the call-reboot bug fixed, because i don't really use A2SD or ssh and switch sd cards a lot between other phones.

thax