Guide to Flashing ROM on i8000

Guest tacchan23

Guest tacchan23

ROM parts description (usually you'll get the ROM as compressed files; I suggest you to extract the actual rom files using 7zip becouse it is compatible with every form of compressing out there and it's freeware too; if the files looks something like zip.001, zip.002, etc or part01.rar, part02.rar, etc just extract the first file and it will automatically extract all the needed parts)

Eboot (.eb0): some users compared it to a PC bios; another user posted this definition "it's a part of I8000 software that provides the very flashing process. In other words it's a program that replaces PDA, CSC and phone parts of existing firmware to updated ones in I8000 read-only memory"

Sorg affirmed that the only risk of bricking your phone comes from "eboot": if Eboot will be corrupted during replacement to newer one then you will likely lose the option to save your i8000. That is why changing Eboot is not recommended on every-time basis.

Personally I'd suggest to flash eboot only while upgrading from WM6.1 to WM6.5 (that's the only time I flashed the eboot), becouse it seems that not flashing eboot may cause a problem about your phone not going into sleep mode. I had the problem too and solved it by flashing eboot. I guess this was needed for going from a old wm6.1 rom to a new wm6.5 rom, so maybe it will not be necessary again in the future.

So in the end, even if I still suggest to not flash eboot when is not needed, if you are facing some weird problems it may be worth to flash it too.

PDA (.mst or .nb0): the actual Windows Mobile OS, applications, drivers, etc

CSC (.csc): definition by Rodfigofd "Among other things, it contains boot images (not the animated ones, that correspond to power_on/off.gif, but the one that goes before that), much like the HTC devices' splash .nb files, .. also, the charging animation when device is plugged but off, animations for the EBOOT program when you are flashing the phone, and also files and settings that get applied to your Win Mobile when you flash or hard reset. CSC can include, for example, wallpapers, themes, connection settings, etc. I suppose it can also contain apps an other stuff.

Although in flasher program CSC file seems to let you select languages, CSC file just have possible language choices, but not the files/settings corresponding to those languages. Those are all packed in the PDA part (NB0 or MST)."

Phone (.bin): the radio/GPS firmware

Sorg suggests not to flash the phone part as it may cause problems of compatibility in case of downgrading the rom or if your phone is locked to some operator. He also stated that there is no benefit in it, while other users reports different performance in the GPS fix, etc... honestly I have no idea on the subject, but so far no user reported any actual problems for flashing the Phone part.

SAFE FLASHING

Reading the above you'll understand that if you want to be 100% safe, you should flash ONLY "pda" and/or "csc". In case of any error during the flashing, even if you get a non responsive phone stuck on the PC-Phone connection screen, you'll be able to flash the ROM again.

For this reason, Sorg created the modded Octans Mini which allows to flash just PDA and CSC part. If you want to be safe or if it's your first flashing attempt, I suggest you to use it.

Software required for flashing i8000 ROM

Windos XP with SP3 (if you want to use Window Vista, read here; if you want to use Windows 7 x32, read here; if you want to use Windows 7 x64, read here)

Samsung_CDMA_modem_4_1_.34.zip

OCTANS Downloader (you can use the standard OCTANS_Downloader_v2.14.exe or the modified OCTANS_Mini.v2.11.exe by Sorg)

Flashing Procedure

The following steps are as suggested by Sorg, there are other procedures which may differ a little (such as not turning the phone off) that still works but this one I've been using and tested myself and always fine:

0) Make sure to install (or to have installed already) the Samsung_CDMA_modem_4_1_.34.zip driver.

1) Make sure your phone is not connected to your PC; if it is, disconnect it.

2) Make sure to Turn off your phone.

3) Start OCTANS and fill required fields/checkboxes (MORE DETAILS BELOW on How to use Octans Downloader)

4) Press "Detect" button.

5) Connect Phone to computer (make sure phone was turned off before connecting) IMPORTANT: don't connect trough USB hub.

6) As OCTANS detect phone, press the "Start" button.

7) Wait till whole operation end; the phone will restart itself once or twice to update everything then its ready to set up again.

How to use Octans Downloader (details on the above point 3 of the Flashing Procedure)

- if you use Octans 2.14, you are able to flash any of the four ROM parts

1) Select the Eboot button and open the .eb0 file

2) Select the MoviNAND button and open the .MST file (if the ROM you want to flash is in .mst format) OR Select the PDA buttons and open the .nb0 file (if the ROM you want to flash is in .nb0 format); choose .mst OR .nb0! not both!

3) Select the MultiCSC button and open the .CSC file; in the drop down box below you can select a region for your ROM (more details on CSC decoding is posted below); in the drop down box above you can select the language.

4) Select the Phone button and open the .bin file

- if you use Octans Mini 2.11, you can only flash PDA and CSC part (also the option to preserve the "My Storage" is enabled by defult)

1) Select the MoviNAND button and open the .MST file (if the ROM you want to flash is in .mst format) OR Select the PDA buttons and open the .nb0 file (if the ROM you want to flash is in .nb0 format); choose .mst OR .nb0! not both!

2) Select the MultiCSC button and open the .CSC file; in the drop down box below you can select a region for your ROM (more details on CSC decoding is posted below); in the drop down box above you can select the language.

IMPORTANT: Octans Mini 2.11 doesn't support flashing CSC parts for the newest ROMs (not sure since when... maybe after the JAx)

Notes about i8000L

Some users reported flashing (without any problems) a I8000 PDA image to a I8000L phone (from people who reported flashing just PDA part, the "success" rate seems to be 100% so far).

Rodrigofd suspects the same applies to CSC image, but for obvious reasons (different bands) he assumes Phone part is strictly incompatible between i8000 and i8000L..

Quoting Rodrigofd: "As regards EBOOT part, it is a mistery (if possible to flash i8000 eboot to i8000L phones) but i suppose no i8000L user is willing to risk it, since its well known the risks that a failed eboot flashing carries....so, in short, for I8000L users, feel free to experiment PDA ROMs flashing, and stick AWAY from flashing Phone and EBOOT parts."

I add that a couple of users reported success in flashing all 4 parts to a i8000L, BUT it's just 1 or 2 new users at most so it may NOT BE attendible info.

I accept NO responsibility for any damage caused to your handset before, during and after to Flashing with this software/Procedure, it can be dangerous. Proceed with caution!

Samsung_CDMA_modem_4_1_.34.zip

OCTANS_Mini.v2.11.exe

Guest tacchan23

More ROMs details

The firmware code is split into individual sections (you can find out more about CSC file in this thread):

example with i8000NXXIJ6 rom

i8000 - > model designation.

N - > window mobile 6.5

XX - > region / network carrier designation (XX = open Market).

I - > release year (I = 2009).

J - > release month (J = October).

6 - > version number.

- Region codes: BD Cyprus, Greece

CP Finland

DB Vietnam

DC Thailand

DD India

DT Australia

DX Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, Vietnam

DZ Malaysia, Singapore

JA South Africa

JC Algeria, Morocco, Nigeria, South Africa, Tunisia

JP Arabic

JR Arabic

JV Algeria, Egypt, Iran, Iraq, Kuwait, Morocco, Nigeria, Oman, Pakistan,

Saudi Arabia,South Africa, Syria, Tunisia, Turkey

MT Switzerland

XA Austria, France, Germany, Italy, Netherlands, Switzerland, United Kingdom

XB Denmark, Norway, Sweden

XC Portugal, Spain

XD Croatia, Czech, Hungary, Slovakia

XE Bulgaria, Estonia, Kazakhstan, Latvia, Lithuania, Russia, Ukraine

XF Bulgaria, Croatia, Romania

XX Austria, Belgium, France, Germany, Hungary, Italy, Spain, United Kingdom

ZC China, Hong Kong

ZH Hong Kong

ZT Taiwan

- Network carrier codes:

AE SFR, France

AI Tim, Italy

AM Vodafone

AN E-Plus, Germany

AO O2

AS KPN, Netherland

AU Mobilkom, Austria

BB Tmn, Portugal

BF Optimus, Portugal

BG Telefonica, Spain

BM Swisscom, Switzerland

BN Amena, Spain

BO T-Mobile, Germany

BU Vodafone

BV Orange, Switzerland

BW O2, United Kingdom

CD Proximus, Belgium

CG Telia Mobitel, Sweden

CH SingTel, Singapore

CK Tele2 Comviq, Sweden

CT Tdc, Denmark

CU One, Austria

CV Telenor, Norway

DT Optus, Australia

DV Telstra, Australia

EF Celcom, Malaysia

JB Vodacom, South Africa

MD Telia Sonera, Finland

MJ Vodafone, Italy

MM Tele Ring, Austria

MV NetCom, Norway

NA Nrj, France

NB Tele2 Norway, Norway

NE H3g Nordic, Sweden

NP H3g, Italy

SS Vodafone, Japan

Release years:

D = 2004

E = 2005

F = 2006

G = 2007

H = 2008

I = 2009

J = 2010

Release months:

A = January

B = February

C = March

D = April

E = May

F = June

G = July

H = August

I = September

J = October

K = November

L = December

Guest tacchan23

Some more comments on CSC

If you have advanced knowledge of this phone and WM , specially if you flash custom ROMs, it might be more recommended to dont flash CSCs since you dont know exactly what is being modified with it... but if you are an average user that just want it to get it done, then probably you should flash the CSC corresponding to your rom version/ phone carrier / language/ etc... by Rodrigofd

if you erase CSC data (by selecting the corresponding option in Octans) then you will loose:

1) charging screen when phone is OFF

2) Downloading screen (while flashing firmware)

3) initial splash screen with "Samsung OMNIA II" words.

CSC section, gets stored in a special invisible part of ROM of the phone, and the phone uses it as a 'customization' for the basic configuration . by Sorg

More info about CSC decoding

Original thread by Yohng here

CODE COUNTRY	 LANGUAGE			OPERATORS

AMN  SPAIN	   Spanish(Spain)	  "ORANGE"

ATO  AUSTRIA	 German(Germany)

AUT  SWITZERLAND German(Germany)

BMC  CANADA						  "BELL"

CNX  ROMANIA	 English(UK)		 "VODAFONE"

COA  ROMANIA	 English(UK)		 "COSMOTE"

CYO  GREECE	  Greek(Greece)

DBT  GERMANY	 German(Germany)

EUR  GREECE	  Greek(Greece)	   "VODAFONE GR" "COSMOTE" "WIND GR"

FOP  SPAIN	   Spanish(Spain)

HAT  ROMANIA	 English(UK)		 

IRD  SLOVAKIA	Czech(Czech Rep.)

ITV  ITALY	   Italian(Italy)

MBM  MACEDONIA					   "T-MOBILE"

MOB  AUSTRIA	 German(Germany)

MOT  SLOVENIA	English(UK)		 "MOBITEL"

MOZ			  German(Germany)

MTL  BULGARIA	English(UK)

OMX  BULGARIA	English(UK)

ORO  ROMANIA	 English(UK)		 "ORANGE"

PAN  HUNGARY	 Hungarian(Hungary)

PLS  POLAND	  Polish(Poland)

PRO  NETHERLANDS English(UK)

PRT  POLAND	  Polish(Poland)	  "PLAY POLAND"

SEB  AUSTRIA	 English(UK)

SEK  UKRAINE	 Russian(Russia)

SER  RUSSIA	  Russian(Russia)

SIM  SLOVENIA	English(UK)		 "SIMOBIL"

SKZ  KAZAKHSTAN					  "BEELING"  

SMO  SERBIA	  English(UK)

SUN  SWITZERLAND German(Germany)

SWC  SWITZERLAND German(Germany)

THA  THAILAND

TPH  PORTUGAL	Portuguese(Portugal)

TRA  CROATIA	 English(UK)

TUR  TURKEY

VGR  GREECE	  Greek(Greece)

VIP  CROATIA	 English(UK)

VIR  UK		  English(UK)		  "VIRGIN"

WIN  ITALY	   Italian(Italy)

XCS			  Czech(Czech Rep.)

XEB  BELGIUM	 English(UK)

XEE  SWEDEN	  English(UK)

XEF  FRANCE	  French(France)	   "BOUYGTEL" "Orange F" "F SFR" "NRJ (SFR)" "Virgin" "Tele2" "Auchan" "Carrefour" "NRJ (ORANGE)"

XEH  HUNGRARY	Hungarian(Hungary)

XEN  NETHERLAND  Dutch(Netherlands)

XEO  POLAND	  Polish(Poland)

XEP  PORTUGAL	Portuguese(Portugal)

XEU  UK		  English(UK)

XEZ  HUNGARY	 Czech(Czech Rep.)

XSO  SINGAPORE

FAM  SINGAPORE   English			  "SingTel" "M1" "Starhub"

SER = Samsung Electronics Russian.

SEK = Samsung Electronics UKraine

SEUK = Samsung Electronics United Kingdom

Whatever begin with SE is Samsung Electronics, and follow letter is country.

Some named by Operator/distributor

SUN = Sunrise

WIN = Wind

Some named by Country code

TH = Thai

SO = Sing

Some named by market

JP = Arabic

JV/JT = Turkey

Guest etermos

dont know if its needed but i´ll confirme that XEE Sweden is swedish, and that you can choose swedish as the main languish

and works with following operators: Telia Tele2 Telenor and 3

//E

Hey, man. I've tried evrey way possible, but I can't flash any rom to my O2. I've followed every single step, one by one, but I can't make it work!! I have just flashed a wm 6.5 rom through Samsung PC Studio, but Octans doesn't work.

In step 5), you wrote that we have to connect the phone to computer in order to be detected. But then you say "IMPORTANT: don't connect trough USB hub." What do you mean?

Please help me, because I want to flash the new Sense 2.5 rom by RodrigoF.

Thanks in advance.

Guest rodrigofd
Hey, man. I've tried evrey way possible, but I can't flash any rom to my O2. I've followed every single step, one by one, but I can't make it work!! I have just flashed a wm 6.5 rom through Samsung PC Studio, but Octans doesn't work.

In step 5), you wrote that we have to connect the phone to computer in order to be detected. But then you say "IMPORTANT: don't connect trough USB hub." What do you mean?

Please help me, because I want to flash the new Sense 2.5 rom by RodrigoF.

Thanks in advance.

'don't connect through USB hub' means, don't use that devices that let you get more usb ports for your pC.. in other words : USB CABLE DIRECTLY FROM PHONE USB PORT TO PC USB PORT... '

why it doesn't work to you ? please be more specific in how it doesn't work... where are you stuck at ? got any error messages? what happens on octans screen and what happens on phone screen? ...

Guest rodrigofd
Great work tacchan, very useful for Omnia2 beginners ;)

Tacchan, you could add some lines to help I8000L users... make clear that by some users experiences, it seems legal to flash a I8000 PDA image to a I8000L phone, all users that tried it seem to be using phone well.

I suspect the same applies to CSC image, but for obvious reasons (different bands) i assume Phone part is strictly incompatible between i8000 and i8000L..

As regards EBOOT part, it is a mistery (if possible to flash i8000 eboot to i8000L phones) .. but i suppose no i8000L user is willing to risk it, since its well known the risks that a failed eboot flashing carries....so, in short, for I8000L users, feel free to experiment PDA ROMs flashing, and stick AWAY from flashing Phone and EBOOT parts.

Guest neuwrdg2
i hope you put this information on your first post bro.. so, more nubie for flashing know "how to flash her toy based on OS on their PC/laptop" and didn't brick his/her expensive toy ;)

Omnia II i8000 Flashing ROM Procedure

guide flash with vista

windows seven

windows seven 64bit

Hi

I am unable to flash either with miniOctans or with OCtans

the problem is with the action after detect

It seems that the programs are not able to write on my Omnia desite that I installed the Driver to PC.

I attached two jpeg screens - the messages I see after connection and then after tow hours. The Octans looks like not reponding meanwhile.

My PDA is I8000NXXIJC

My CSC is I8000MOBIJC

Phone is I8000NXXIJ3

WM 6.5 Build 5.2.21868.5.0.69

thanks for reply

post-601717-1260859948_thumb.jpg

post-601717-1260859994_thumb.jpg

Rodrigo, just followed the steps like this:

- I installed the Samsung Driver (has it to be installed in some specific location? I just installed in Program Files/...It's like the default location). Restarted the PC.

- I turned the phone off and took it off from the USB cable.

- Started Octans (I've tried complete and mini version as well) and selected the files.

- Pushed the "Detect" button and then connect my phone to PC (with phone turned off).

- And.... nothing happens. The Octans screen looks like the attached file.

I've tried turning on and off the phone, using Octans full and mini, everything, but nothing happens. I know I have made some mistake but don't know what.

It would be great if you can help me!!!!

Thanks in advance.

'don't connect through USB hub' means, don't use that devices that let you get more usb ports for your pC.. in other words : USB CABLE DIRECTLY FROM PHONE USB PORT TO PC USB PORT... '

why it doesn't work to you ? please be more specific in how it doesn't work... where are you stuck at ? got any error messages? what happens on octans screen and what happens on phone screen? ...

Octans_Screen.doc

Just need a little help from my friends, please ;)

- I installed the Samsung Driver (has it to be installed in some specific location? I just installed in Program Files/...It's like the default location). Restarted the PC.

- Started Octans (I've tried complete and mini version as well) and selected the files.

- Pushed the "Detect" button and then connect my phone to PC (with phone turned off).

I've tried turning on and off the phone, using Octans full and mini, everything, but nothing happens. I know I have made some mistake but don't know what.

Thanks in advance.

Guest monyozt
Hi

I am unable to flash either with miniOctans or with OCtans

the problem is with the action after detect

It seems that the programs are not able to write on my Omnia desite that I installed the Driver to PC.

I attached two jpeg screens - the messages I see after connection and then after tow hours. The Octans looks like not reponding meanwhile.

My PDA is I8000NXXIJC

My CSC is I8000MOBIJC

Phone is I8000NXXIJ3

WM 6.5 Build 5.2.21868.5.0.69

thanks for reply

what ROM you will flash to your OMNIA II?

if file with .nb0 extention you should put to PDA box

id file with .MST extention you should put to MoviNAND box

Guest monyozt

Thanks in advance.

first, connect your Phone to PC. make sure your phone detected by active sync.. then start open octan, and make sure you're INPUT the Rom file CORECTLY. after that, press detect button, then switch off your phone. after you see download screen on your phone press start button on Octans

Thank you, my friend. Unfortunately, I've tried 1,000 times this and other ways but nothing happens!!!!! ;) ;) ;)

The device is detected by Activesync and even by Samsung PC Studio, but it is not detected by Octans!!!

What is the right location for the Samsung driver files? Maybe something's wrong with it.

Please , help!!!!

first, connect your Phone to PC. make sure your phone detected by active sync.. then start open octan, and make sure you're INPUT the Rom file CORECTLY. after that, press detect button, then switch off your phone. after you see download screen on your phone press start button on Octans

Guest monyozt
Thank you, my friend. Unfortunately, I've tried 1,000 times this and other ways but nothing happens!!!!! ;) ;) ;)

The device is detected by Activesync and even by Samsung PC Studio, but it is not detected by Octans!!!

What is the right location for the Samsung driver files? Maybe something's wrong with it.

Please , help!!!!

try my suggestion above. it should work on all omnia ii device

It should but it doesn't with mine!!!! That's why I'm trying to get another different way or suggestion.

try my suggestion above. it should work on all omnia ii device

Guest neuwrdg2
It should but it doesn't with mine!!!! That's why I'm trying to get another different way or suggestion.

hi Arbi do not be sad, I am second one, I have installed system from A1 Austria and I have unlocked the phone to other networsk. Now iOmnia works but it does not cooperate with Octans or minioctans.

With minicotans it writes long line starting with

OndeviceChange\\?\USB etc. etc. and I got sandcloc on PC a that´s it.On switched of Omnia I see for 10-20 seconds large blue battery.

With Octans just sand-clock on PC

Edited by neuwrdg2

Hi, neuwrdg2.

I even can't get any error, octans doesn't detect my device at all, it does absolutely nothing!!!

hi Arbi do not be sad, I am second one, I have installed system from A1 Austria and I have unlocked the phone to other networsk. Now iOmnia works but it does not cooperate with Octans or minioctans.

With minicotans it writes long line starting with

OndeviceChange\\?\USB etc. etc. and I got sandcloc on PC a that´s it.On switched of Omnia I see for 10-20 seconds large blue battery.

With Octans just sand-clock on PC

Guest rodrigofd
Hi, neuwrdg2.

I even can't get any error, octans doesn't detect my device at all, it does absolutely nothing!!!

Arbi,

first, all your comments and screens were from Octans Mini... what about real octans?

You have to change driver, when the phne is OFF.. and PLUGGED ON... then in device manager it will show something like 'samsung mit...'.THAT is the device you have to update..

Guest mishari84

hello

thanks for your great contribution

im wondering

why still no available CSC file for arabic language, although samsung have released it officially on O2 deveces for long time now

i hope soon you make it available

Rodrigo,

I'm from Chile, so I will make my questions in both in english and spanish. I've done this, too, but the message you say doesn't appear anywhere. Please find attached the complete Octans screen. It's all I got. I think something's wrong with the driver, wrong location, I don't know, please help!!!! I really want to try your Manila 2.5 rom, it looks terrific!!!

Best regards

Soy de Chile, así que te haré las preguntas también en español. Hice ésto pero por ninguna parte aparece ningún mensaje. Te adjunto pantallazo del Octans completo. Así permanece todo el rato, y como te escribí antes, tanto el Active sync como el Samsung PC Studio reconocen el equipo. No sé por qué pero me parece que pasa algo malo con el driver, yo solo corrí el setup del archivo deszipeado, y lo instalé en la ubicación por default (Archivos de Programa). Favor tu ayuda, muero por instalar tu rom del Manila 2.5 en mi Omnia 2.

Un abrazo

Arbi,

first, all your comments and screens were from Octans Mini... what about real octans?

You have to change driver, when the phne is OFF.. and PLUGGED ON... then in device manager it will show something like 'samsung mit...'.THAT is the device you have to update..

Forgot the file, sorry.

Rodrigo,

I'm from Chile, so I will make my questions in both in english and spanish. I've done this, too, but the message you say doesn't appear anywhere. Please find attached the complete Octans screen. It's all I got. I think something's wrong with the driver, wrong location, I don't know, please help!!!! I really want to try your Manila 2.5 rom, it looks terrific!!!

Best regards

Soy de Chile, así que te haré las preguntas también en español. Hice ésto pero por ninguna parte aparece ningún mensaje. Te adjunto pantallazo del Octans completo. Así permanece todo el rato, y como te escribí antes, tanto el Active sync como el Samsung PC Studio reconocen el equipo. No sé por qué pero me parece que pasa algo malo con el driver, yo solo corrí el setup del archivo deszipeado, y lo instalé en la ubicación por default (Archivos de Programa). Favor tu ayuda, muero por instalar tu rom del Manila 2.5 en mi Omnia 2.

Un abrazo

Octans_2.doc

Wahoo ! Your tutorial is really great.

Anybody have answers of my questions below ?

Is anybody can explain in OCTANS :
  1. Mode select "SMD" : "Caution : all RF calibraton and IMEI data will be erased" ??
  2. "Set Priority Bit" (CSC selection) : I have no idea ?
  3. "Skip OS Upgrading by NoviNAND image" : Why would we need to do that ?
  4. "Erase CSC" : I think this is in case of no CSC selected, right ?
  5. "Keep Eboot config" : What is "Eboot config" ?
  6. Preserve device's contents : this one I know and use every time !=> Don't format "my storage" !
  7. What is "Contents" ? .mct format ? Is there a way to add by this field any third party softwares ?
  8. What is the field "Integrated" ? may be a full "image" of all CSC+PDA+EBoot + Phone ?
  9. Skip over waiting for booting completly : self explaination => anderstood !
  10. Start download immediatly : self explaination => anderstood !
.... just to satisfy my curiosity!