Rom Dump/Build Application

Guest wes58

Guest wes58
Ok thank you.

And whats with this ROM?

ROM][08/07/2010] Sense 2.5.2016 - MultiLang from Shadowangel?

Is this with the compression?

I can't read anything about it.

Open the rom with hexeditor and search for text LZX. If you find it it means that it has lzx compression.

Guest kydkylin

Hi, wes, do you figure out which part of the samsung official JE1 or JE3 rom(6.5.3) gives us 8 RAM more than the 6.5 version?

Seems it has nothing to do with the eboot or the pagepool.

I'm just wondering could it be used to replace the 6.5 ones and let us have a 8 RAM more 6.5 rom.

Thanks in advance.

Guest wes58
Hi, wes, do you figure out which part of the samsung official JE1 or JE3 rom(6.5.3) gives us 8 RAM more than the 6.5 version?

Seems it has nothing to do with the eboot or the pagepool.

I'm just wondering could it be used to replace the 6.5 ones and let us have a 8 RAM more 6.5 rom.

Thanks in advance.

It's xip.bin (probably nk.exe in xip.bin).

I did replace xip.bin from Samsung official 6.5.3 and put it in Samsung 6.5 and it worked for me. I did it a while ago when we had Samsung JD roms and I ported 6.5.5 to it. Now there is no new version of WM6.5.5 so I just use Samsung 6.5.3 (as a base) and port different WM versions.

But I think if you replace xip.bin from Samsung 6.5.3 and put it in 6.5 it should still work. You can try, and see if it boots.

Guest kydkylin
It's xip.bin (probably nk.exe in xip.bin).

I did replace xip.bin from Samsung official 6.5.3 and put it in Samsung 6.5 and it worked for me. I did it a while ago when we had Samsung JD roms and I ported 6.5.5 to it. Now there is no new version of WM6.5.5 so I just use Samsung 6.5.3 (as a base) and port different WM versions.

But I think if you replace xip.bin from Samsung 6.5.3 and put it in 6.5 it should still work. You can try, and see if it boots.

Thx so much!

I'll try to make a rom with the 6.5.3's xip,OEMApps,6.5's Drivers and 6.5.5 ported soon. :)

Guest Devil1978
So, I guess it is kydkylin's rom and as he wrote it uses lzx compression. ImgfsToDumpxxx.exe (which romTool is using) won't dump correctly this rom and pkgtool.exe will fail as well.

If you want to dump this rom you could try using xidump from xda-developers website.

Now i have tried xidump.

But i dont know how i can extract my romdump with this tool.

Your tool is much better but i does not work with lZX compression.

Guest wes58
Now i have tried xidump.

But i dont know how i can extract my romdump with this tool.

Your tool is much better but i does not work with lZX compression.

When you dump the rom with romTool it creates imgfs.bin. Use this file to dump pda files with xidump - just drag imgfs.bin over one of the .bat files in xidump folder.

By the way, I thought you will have a look at the sense cab file created by rapid to workout what you need for your rom?

Guest Devil1978

Yes but with the noobody rom i have the same errors with your tool.

You mean in the imgfs.bin are the files from the SYS and OEM folders?

And the imgfs.bin is LZX compressed?

Guest wes58
Yes but with the noobody rom i have the same errors with your tool.

You mean in the imgfs.bin are the files from the SYS and OEM folders?

And the imgfs.bin is LZX compressed?

Yes, imgfs.bin is where sys and oem parts are and what is lzx compressed (if lzx compression is selected during build). What romTool does first is, it splits rom into xip and imgfs part and then extracts files from them. As I wrote before ImgfsToDumpxxx.exe fails during dumping imgfs.bin which are lzx compressed - the extracted files are corrupted. That's why you can use imgfs.bin with xidump and it should work.

Guest Devil1978

Thank you very much for your help.

You are always are great help for me.

Now i understand the structure of the roms.

And at home i will try ist out to understand how i can create a german rom with sense.

Guest Devil1978

Now i used the imgfs.bin with xidump.

But i don't have the folders OEM and SYS.

The files are all in the imgfs folder. But i don't know what to do now.

Guest wes58
Now i used the imgfs.bin with xidump.

But i don't have the folders OEM and SYS.

The files are all in the imgfs folder. But i don't know what to do now.

It all depends on which bat file you drag your imgfs.bin. If you drag it on Dump_PKG__IMGFS.bat you will get sys and oem folders in IMGFS folder of xidump.

If you drag it on Dump_FILES__IMGFS.bat you will only get files/modules not split into oem and sys.

One other thing, if the rom was built having "All packages to one" option checked, you won't be able to convert to sys and oem folders because there are no dsm files in the dumped rom!

Guest Lancez

hi, wes58

i have been using your tool with twu's script for a while now and have made some lite ROMs, great tool, thank you.

i need a little help here, if its not too much to ask.

since this morning, i was trying to build a ROM for my own use and when i start buildpda, the buildOS wont work anymore. i dont know what i did wrong, but it seems ok yesterday. now i'm getting the error messege showing that buildOS is having problems and need to be closed. i have tried several times already. can't get it to work anymore. i'm using XP btw.

thanks in advance.

Guest wes58
hi, wes58

i have been using your tool with twu's script for a while now and have made some lite ROMs, great tool, thank you.

i need a little help here, if its not too much to ask.

since this morning, i was trying to build a ROM for my own use and when i start buildpda, the buildOS wont work anymore. i dont know what i did wrong, but it seems ok yesterday. now i'm getting the error messege showing that buildOS is having problems and need to be closed. i have tried several times already. can't get it to work anymore. i'm using XP btw.

thanks in advance.

I am not sure what can be wrong. The only time I got the message 'buildos.exe has stopped working' when I tried to run (double click) buildos.exe directly from the Tools folder (not through romTool) - and it doesn't work because it doesn't have paths set properly.

The only suggestion that I would make is start from the beginning:

1. Create a copy of a _template folder.

2. Rename this new folder to what ever you want.

3. Put any rom.bin file in this new folder.

4. Start romTool and select your new folder in 'ROM:' list box.

5. Dump the rom.bin file.

6. If the 'SYS' list box is empty you have to change to a different folder in 'ROM' and then go back to the folder that you were using - you should have [sys] shown in 'SYS' list box. Then try to build the new rom and see if buildOs starts.

Guest Lancez
I am not sure what can be wrong. The only time I got the message 'buildos.exe has stopped working' when I tried to run (double click) buildos.exe directly from the Tools folder (not through romTool) - and it doesn't work because it doesn't have paths set properly.

The only suggestion that I would make is start from the beginning:

1. Create a copy of a _template folder.

2. Rename this new folder to what ever you want.

3. Put any rom.bin file in this new folder.

4. Start romTool and select your new folder in 'ROM:' list box.

5. Dump the rom.bin file.

6. If the 'SYS' list box is empty you have to change to a different folder in 'ROM' and then go back to the folder that you were using - you should have [sys] shown in 'SYS' list box. Then try to build the new rom and see if buildOs starts.

ok, i will try that. thanks a lot for your help :(

Guest IanOsborn
ok, i will try that. thanks a lot for your help :(

I've got the same problem too. Doesn't matter what I do, no success. Very frustrating. Has anyone else encountered this problem?

Guest wes58
I've got the same problem too. Doesn't matter what I do, no success. Very frustrating. Has anyone else encountered this problem?

It is hard to help you if you don't provide any information what you are doing?

What is your folder structure? Where do you have all the files? What rom are you building?

If you have a look in a guide for version 2.0, first two pictures show an example of the kitchen folder structure (first picture) and how the paths are set (top part of the second picture).

I have attached this file again here.

RomTool_Guide_2.0.pdf

Guest IanOsborn
It is hard to help you if you don't provide any information what you are doing?

What is your folder structure? Where do you have all the files? What rom are you building?

If you have a look in a guide for version 2.0, first two pictures show an example of the kitchen folder structure (first picture) and how the paths are set (top part of the second picture).

I have attached this file again here.

I've attached a pdf describing where I'm at and the problem encountered. What do you think?

Thanks in advance

RomToolProblem.pdf

Guest wes58
I've attached a pdf describing where I'm at and the problem encountered. What do you think?

Thanks in advance

The warning message that you get during dump is not important. It just tells you, that because you are dumping a .bin fine it doesn't have a header which .nb0 file has.

I think that you may have a problem with the version of Microsoft.NET framework on your computer. I am not sure which version is used by BuildOs - I think it is 2.

Maybe you can try and google "Microsoft.net buildos" and see if you can find any information.

Guest shadowangel
The warning message that you get during dump is not important. It just tells you, that because you are dumping a .bin fine it doesn't have a header which .nb0 file has.

I think that you may have a problem with the version of Microsoft.NET framework on your computer. I am not sure which version is used by BuildOs - I think it is 2.

Maybe you can try and google "Microsoft.net buildos" and see if you can find any information.

Wes58... good day!

I posted a thread about it but as I'm not completely convinced of that, Ill ask the source! :(

What's the difference between platformrebuilder and BuildOS and why do you prefer BuildOS on your kitchen?

I've done some search and found that platformrebuilder is newer than BuildOS but I'm not certain of it...

thanks!

Guest wes58
Wes58... good day!

I posted a thread about it but as I'm not completely convinced of that, Ill ask the source! :(

What's the difference between platformrebuilder and BuildOS and why do you prefer BuildOS on your kitchen?

I've done some search and found that platformrebuilder is newer than BuildOS but I'm not certain of it...

thanks!

I used buildOS in romTool because that was the only application that worked without any problems when we started with building roms for Omnia2.

What else I like in BuildOS is that if something is wrong with the rom that you are building it gives you some information of an error. Other applications that romTool is using (xipPort, extReloc) also have some settings that you can modify for you rom build.

I tried platformrebuilder a few times in the past but it always failed without giving you a any information about cause of an error. Then I found out that someone found that the problem was with Samsung xip (or nk.exe module). There were also some solutions to it, as you already now. But because I have already had romTool working I didn't see a reason for spending any more time trying to get it working with platformrebuilder and re-write it all. It's not something that you can do in a couple of hours.

Guest shadowangel
I used buildOS in romTool because that was the only application that worked without any problems when we started with building roms for Omnia2.

What else I like in BuildOS is that if something is wrong with the rom that you are building it gives you some information of an error. Other applications that romTool is using (xipPort, extReloc) also have some settings that you can modify for you rom build.

I tried platformrebuilder a few times in the past but it always failed without giving you a any information about cause of an error. Then I found out that someone found that the problem was with Samsung xip (or nk.exe module). There were also some solutions to it, as you already now. But because I have already had romTool working I didn't see a reason for spending any more time trying to get it working with platformrebuilder and re-write it all. It's not something that you can do in a couple of hours.

I understand :(

Thank you for your reply... I knew about the nk.exe problem but it seems to have other problems as well... No need to waste time with time with that :(

Still, your kitchen is fantastic as is, thank you for that :P

Guest IanOsborn

I did as you suggested but couldn't find any info that made much sense. So, I switched to another machine running Win7 Pro 32bit with all updates. Surprise, surprise! No more problems. Everything worked. Great! Now for the fun part.

The other machine is running Win XP SP3 Home Ed. Your suggestion regarding the .NET framework is probably correct.

Thank you so much for your help

Guest wes58
I did as you suggested but couldn't find any info that made much sense. So, I switched to another machine running Win7 Pro 32bit with all updates. Surprise, surprise! No more problems. Everything worked. Great! Now for the fun part.

The other machine is running Win XP SP3 Home Ed. Your suggestion regarding the .NET framework is probably correct.

Thank you so much for your help

I'm glad to hear that it is working.

You could check in Control Panel-Add Remove Programs which versions of .NET framework you have on both computers and install the one that is missing.

Guest shadowangel

Wes58

Hello again!

Did some search on your thread but didn't find anything about this...

What's the use of "Adjust size of XIP"?

Thanks! :)

Guest wes58
Wes58

Hello again!

Did some search on your thread but didn't find anything about this...

What's the use of "Adjust size of XIP"?

Thanks! :)

When you port XIP from different version of OS, sometimes we get XIP partition smaller in size. Although it is smaller in size, but because of the insertion addresses of XIP and IMGFS (which are defined in the partition table), there is a gap between end of XIP & start of IMGFS which is filled with FF. By reducing this gap you can gain some storage space.

I haven't tested it well so I can't tell you if you gain much and whether you won't have any problems. If you want to try it, go ahead, I think the worst thing that can happen is that the phone won't boot after flashing - than you just flash it again with different rom.

I am not sure if it is really worth it, it was something I read about and wanted to try it. I don't think anybody has a problem with not sufficient storage space on the phone?

By the way, I have moved to Galaxy S now so won't be checking this thread too often.