Rom Dump/Build Application

Guest wes58

using this tool it create the FOlder

SYS, OEM and DUMP

but only sys have files :)

OEM and DUMP DONT HAVE

btw, DUMP isnt OEM/DUMP AND ROM?

what i have to edit so? when it repack, repack from what folder? ROM/SYS/OEM or DUMP Folder???

btw its clean, i dont have files to edit in it ;(

thx

EDIT: THe problem is when you select to dump to imgfs to packages, here it dont work, only in modules

btw, how can i extract the pda.os.nb to edit the hex and calculate the checksum to edit in pda.nb0.pre???

after you dump the rom files are placed in the dump folder.

When pkgtool runs it splits them in oem and sys folders which are still in the dump folder.

My application moves oem and sys folder in the kitchen root folder.

If you have files only in sys folder, this is because you are trying to dump someone elses modified rom. When you run builos it removes microsoft certificates from the dsm files and package tool can't split the files in oem and sys folders. You can still do it manually if you look for for folders that start with oem.

Why do you want to calculate the checksum, it is done when you build the rom.

Edited by wes58

Guest Gary Crutcher

Wes58,

After the BuildOS, is the header and xip.nb automatically added in the finished rom?

If so, does this mean I can then flash the *.nb0 file?

Guest defaultBR

wes i got now,

like the question up by Gary,

so you only

1) Dump

2) Modify

3) Reppack using your tool? (here i found something strang, you have packages, but to reppack you have to select temp/dump or /dump/ :S where is pack from packages???)

about the header? etc...? it do everything automatic?

thx

Edited by defaultBR

wes i got know,

like the question up by Gary,

so you only

1) Dump

2) Modify

3) Reppack using your tool? (here i found something strang, you have packages, but to reppack you have to select temp/dump or /dump/ :S where is pack from packages???)

about the header? etc...? it do everything automatic?

thx

I guess I could change the description but that wouldn't be correct. Pack from packages is when you select "build imgfs from dump\temp".

When you dump to packages (to sys and oem), to build the rom you have to run Build.OS.

The result of BuildOS is -> packages in SYS and OEM are converted to 'flat dump', the files/folders are put by BuildOS in \temp\dump folder.

Imfgs.bin is built out of this folder when you have it selected.

Leaving the description as is, maybe correct because this part of the process is building imgfs.bin from \temp\dump folder. It's not building from packages because packages are already converted by buildOS to files/modules.

So if I wanted to be correct I would have one box for selecting 'build from packages' but this process would combine running buildOs, ExtReloc and imgfsFromDump.

I want to have those processes separate (so I can choose which part I want to do).

So, yes I will leave it as it is because that is describing part the process that it is doing.

I have the default options selected when you start the application, which means that you don't have to change anything (if you don't have much knowledge about rom building) to dump rom to packages and build from packages nb0 file. If you want to port the new OS you have to select other options, but that's something that you have to learn about before you do it.

The header file is added automatically. If you dump nb0 file and have an option to 'extract header from nb0 file' selected it will extract it and use it to build the new nb0 file.

If you don't select it or you use .nb file (if you dump the rom from your phone with Sorg's application you get a .nb file - to be accurate you get .bin file that you rename to .nb) the header will be created (it is stored in the application).

I will add an option to open .bin file so we don't have to worry about renaming phone dump to .nb

In that case you may want to update the version of your rom by changing it in the Pda Version edit box. It shows the header version that is stored in the application - which was the last version available at the time of compiling an application.

I will add an option to open .bin file so we don't have to worry about renaming phone dump to .nb

So, after nb0 file is create you can flash the phone using it.

Edited by wes58

Wes58,

After the BuildOS, is the header and xip.nb automatically added in the finished rom?

If so, does this mean I can then flash the *.nb0 file?

Yes everything is combined together to build .nb0, which is you PDA.nb0 and can be used to flash the phone with Ocatans downloader.

Guest Gary Crutcher
Yes everything is combined together to build .nb0, which is you PDA.nb0 and can be used to flash the phone with Ocatans downloader.

Thanks Wes58.

One more question.

If I remove some module/packages, is there anything extra I need to do?

For example, do something in ExReloc BEFORE I close it.

Thanks for your help.

Guest Qualquer coisa

WES, i'm having the same problem.

Volume in drive C is Main HDD

Volume Serial Number is 187C-51B0

Directory of C:\i8000kitchen

02/02/2010 00:25 <DIR> .

02/02/2010 00:25 <DIR> ..

29/01/2010 13:34 241.145.856 a.nb

23/01/2010 19:04 <DIR> CSC

02/02/2010 00:18 <DIR> dump

02/02/2010 00:17 29.320 dump_MemoryMap.txt

23/01/2010 19:04 <DIR> Finished ROM

02/02/2010 00:16 212.379.648 imgfs.bin

02/02/2010 00:25 0 log.txt

02/02/2010 00:18 <DIR> OEM

23/01/2010 19:54 3.871 ReadMeFirst.txt

02/02/2010 00:18 <DIR> ROM

23/01/2010 19:53 39.936 romTool.exe

02/02/2010 00:18 <DIR> SYS

02/02/2010 00:23 <DIR> temp

02/02/2010 00:16 <DIR> Tools

02/02/2010 00:16 7.864.320 xip.nb

23/01/2010 19:05 <DIR> XIPtools

7 File(s) 461.462.951 bytes

11 Dir(s) 171.636.441.088 bytes free

I had problems with PKGTool, and renamed it... I'm using Win7 as administrator... just in case...

Guest Gary Crutcher
WES, i'm having the same problem.

Volume in drive C is Main HDD

Volume Serial Number is 187C-51B0

Directory of C:\i8000kitchen

02/02/2010 00:25 <DIR> .

02/02/2010 00:25 <DIR> ..

29/01/2010 13:34 241.145.856 a.nb

23/01/2010 19:04 <DIR> CSC

02/02/2010 00:18 <DIR> dump

02/02/2010 00:17 29.320 dump_MemoryMap.txt

23/01/2010 19:04 <DIR> Finished ROM

02/02/2010 00:16 212.379.648 imgfs.bin

02/02/2010 00:25 0 log.txt

02/02/2010 00:18 <DIR> OEM

23/01/2010 19:54 3.871 ReadMeFirst.txt

02/02/2010 00:18 <DIR> ROM

23/01/2010 19:53 39.936 romTool.exe

02/02/2010 00:18 <DIR> SYS

02/02/2010 00:23 <DIR> temp

02/02/2010 00:16 <DIR> Tools

02/02/2010 00:16 7.864.320 xip.nb

23/01/2010 19:05 <DIR> XIPtools

7 File(s) 461.462.951 bytes

11 Dir(s) 171.636.441.088 bytes free

I had problems with PKGTool, and renamed it... I'm using Win7 as administrator... just in case...

Not sure which problem you are referring to, but have had no problems with pkgtool,

Discovered that my antivirus was preventing imgfsfromdump.exe to fail. Once I changed

an option in my antivirus, it worked. Been using Wes58's tool for a few days now without any problems.

BTW: I am running under windows 7 and vista. Both work fine.

Guest Qualquer coisa

Sorry WES, i've got the same problem described in the quote...

It is strange but it does not work, tried to dump firmware PDA_RFD_LEO2FUSION_BETA1.nb0 when getting:

Error deleting \SYS and \OEM and

error Error Move FolderFiles \SYS and \OEM

after dumped to packages

And when you try to build:

> Please Wait ...

> Error Opening. ROM \ imageinfo.bin - even though the file exists

> BuildOS exited.

> ExtReloc exited.

> not Found

> Error Opening imgfs-new.bin

Can not do that'll show please?

i'll try to run everything inside VM Ware to see if it works....

Edited by Qualquer coisa

Guest Gary Crutcher
Sorry WES, i've got the same problem described in the quote...

i'll try to run everything inside VM Ware to see if it works....

Are you trying to cook a "cooked" ROM? Looks like it. RFD's ROMs are

already cooked.

I would suggest flashing one of the newer ROMs posted and using RomTool on that.

The other possibility is that under VMWare, something is missing that is needed by the

programs used by RomTool.

Guest Qualquer coisa
Are you trying to cook a "cooked" ROM? Looks like it. RFD's ROMs are

already cooked.

I would suggest flashing one of the newer ROMs posted and using RomTool on that.

The other possibility is that under VMWare, something is missing that is needed by the

programs used by RomTool.

But Garry, is it impossible to cook a "cooked" ROM? I don't think that there is diference in data structure btw original rom and a cooked one...

Guest defaultBR

Qualquer, yes you cant cook a cooked rom, i dont know why but, you cant, maybe when you pack it, it protect the rom....

é cara, eu fiz o teste, peguei rom do secany, dumpei do meu cel, dei dump nela pra ter as pastas sys/rom/oem e depois sem mudar nada dei build e tentei instalar no meu cel e dumpar/fazer mesma coisa no começo e deu erro

Edited by defaultBR

Guest Gary Crutcher
But Garry, is it impossible to cook a "cooked" ROM? I don't think that there is diference in data structure btw original rom and a cooked one...

Nothing is impossible, but it is not suggested you "cook" a cooked ROM. Or as

I have read on xda-delevopers.com and other places "don't try to cook an already cooked rom".

Search this forum about cooking an already cooked ROM. It is suggested you

do not do it.

I am learning to cook roms and will always use a new, clean rom to do this.

Actually using Wes58's tool, cooking a rom is very easy. I strongly suggest you start

with an uncooked rom.

Now with that said, hey, it's up to you what you want to do. Good Luck.

Edited by Gary Crutcher

Guest Gary Crutcher
Added Final version 1.6 to the fist post.

Thank you very much Wes58.

I will try it out this weekend and give you some feedback.

Now very busy at school.

Guest defaultBR

nicee.. very good wes ;)

do you accept a idea? i have one good idea that it can be only "one for all" :D!! and make everything a lot easy i think...

nicee.. very good wes ;)

do you accept a idea? i have one good idea that it can be only "one for all" :D!! and make everything a lot easy i think...

What is your idea? Is it "one for all"? What do you mean?

If you mean dump Rom and build rom easy, I think it is easy. You don't have to change anything.

1. Select the rom folder (it is where you want to keep all the files for your rom)

2. Select your rom .bin, .nb or .nb0 file

3. Press Run

And the files should be extracted from the rom to sys, oem and rom folders

To build rom:

1. Modify the rom folders.

2. Select the rom folder

3. Change the name of the new file if you want

4. Press Run

And the .nb0 file should be created in "\finished rom" folder.

If you want to port new OS

1. Dump rom

2. Put xip.bin from the new OS to \xiptools\xipnewOS folder

3. Replace sys folder with the one from the new OS

4. Modify rom folders if you wish

5. select rom folder

6. select all options for porting xip

7. Change the name of the new file if you want

8. press Run

And you should get the rom

What can be easier than that?

As I wrote before I made this program for my own use and I wanted flexibility with what I do. That's why I have all the options. If you don't need them, leave them as they are and you can dump and build the rom.

And if you are intimidated by all the checkboxes you can always use Pako's EXEcutor. It will do the same thing as far as dumping and building rom. I added also another page with modification to the oem and sys folders.

Here is a simple version for you.

romTool.exe

Edited by wes58

Guest Gary Crutcher

@Wes58

You are so right!!!

This is the easiest ROM tool I have used to date. So simple.

You did a great job on this tool and I am sure many chefs and

those who want to become chefs will find it very, very useful.

Thanks for all your hard work on this tool!!

Guest defaultBR
What is your idea? Is it "one for all"? What do you mean?

If you mean dump Rom and build rom easy, I think it is easy. You don't have to change anything.

1. Select the rom folder (it is where you want to keep all the files for your rom)

2. Select your rom .bin, .nb or .nb0 file

3. Press Run

And the files should be extracted from the rom to sys, oem and rom folders

To build rom:

1. Modify the rom folders.

2. Select the rom folder

3. Change the name of the new file if you want

4. Press Run

And the .nb0 file should be created in "\finished rom" folder.

If you want to port new OS

1. Dump rom

2. Put xip.bin from the new OS to \xiptools\xipnewOS folder

3. Replace sys folder with the one from the new OS

4. Modify rom folders if you wish

5. select rom folder

6. select all options for porting xip

7. Change the name of the new file if you want

8. press Run

And you should get the rom

What can be easier than that?

As I wrote before I made this program for my own use and I wanted flexibility with what I do. That's why I have all the options. If you don't need them, leave them as they are and you can dump and build the rom.

And if you are intimidated by all the checkboxes you can always use Pako's EXEcutor. It will do the same thing as far as dumping and building rom. I added also another page with modification to the oem and sys folders.

Here is a simple version for you.

forgets, you must have read my post in the wrog way..... i understood your point and how to do roms.... what i said in the post before dont mean that the program is hard to use(its the most usefull tool of the i8000 forums and probably others forums too) you understood wrong =\....

i only said that can gave a little ideas that can make it better and better...

for eg: the first idea that i had, its about the references in others files like in the provxml, rgu etc....

how it probably works:

(ONLY EXAMPLE, ITS FOR YOU TO GET THE IDEA)

you select to delete the midomi.exe, midomi.lnk and all the others files that have midomi

so now you go to the tab "RGU,PROVXML, ETC... EDIT)

load the log of the deletes files above so it will show in the first box all the files that you deleted, you click in one and click in "SEARCH" so it will search into SYS/OEM folders the files and show what files have references of that file that you selected, in this second box that have the files with references you click to text editor or hex editor, so its more fast/easy to delete all references

Midomi.exe(Blue = Mean Clicked :D)

Midomi.lnk

Itens deleted ------------ Results of Searching into files

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.provxml

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.rgu

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx.db

etc....

so in the second box you click in one file than click in edit text ;)

its for noobs(me) so only a idea that if i know how to program i would add, but for you it can be only a thing for sluggish guys....

but no problem, only say: "i will not add this"

Edited by defaultBR

forgets, you must have read my post in the wrog way..... i understood your point and how to do roms.... what i said in the post before dont mean that the program is hard to use(its the most usefull tool of the i8000 forums and probably others forums too) you understood wrong =\....

i only said that can gave a little ideas that can make it better and better...

for eg: the first idea that i had, its about the references in others files like in the provxml, rgu etc....

how it probably works:

(ONLY EXAMPLE, ITS FOR YOU TO GET THE IDEA)

you select to delete the midomi.exe, midomi.lnk and all the others files that have midomi

so now you go to the tab "RGU,PROVXML, ETC... EDIT)

load the log of the deletes files above so it will show in the first box all the files that you deleted, you click in one and click in "SEARCH" so it will search into SYS/OEM folders the files and show what files have references of that file that you selected, in this second box that have the files with references you click to text editor or hex editor, so its more fast/easy to delete all references

<CENTER>

<TABLE WIDTH="50%" border="1">

<TR>

<TD>

Midomi.exe(Blue = Mean Clicked :D)

Midomi.lnk

</TD>

Itens deleted ------------ Results of Searching into files

<TD>

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.provxml

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.rgu

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx.db

etc....

</TD>

</TR>

</TABLE>

</CENTER>

so in the second box you click in one file than click in edit text ;)

its for noobs(me) so only a idea that if i know how to program i would add, but for you it can be only a thing for sluggish guys....

but no problem, only say: "i will not add this"

Sorry, but your previous post was really not specific what your idea was.

Going back to your idea. It's not that simple as you describe. And, at this stage I don't think it is worth the effort.

I think one thing that is useful in my application is creating log files of deleted files and folders so you can reuse them later on. You can also edit the log files in text editor (it is just a text file) to add/remove files from it. Remember that if it is the folder that you want to delete you have to include it in [ ].

Just and idea, if there are people who had some lists of files that they deleted for a specific application they can post it as a log file so other people can reuse.

As far as deleting references in rgu or provxml or initflashfile.dat it is not that easy to do. And I don't think that we are going to have too many new roms in the future that you would need to have something that does it automatically. When you port a new OS you keep OEM files as they are and replace the files from SYS folder. And in SYS folder you are not likely to make too many registry changes. It's not that hard to do it manually (and keeping the track of the changes you made). As I wrote a few times before, Ultraedit is a great program for searching. You can specify a folder that you want to search in and it will search for a text that you specify in all files that are in this folder and all subfolders. You just have to spend some time to do this work.

And by the way, I am not a programmer. What I know, I have learnt by myself.