What to do with my Vario III

Guest worcester4x4

Guest worcester4x4

Hi everyone.

My T-Mobile MDA Vario III is my first and only WinMo phone. It's completely stock and I only use it for running Memory Map when I'm out and about.

However, I suddenly thought - "Why not see if I can unlock and improve it, and then use it as a standby phone?" I have a couple of O2 SIMS around that have about £40 credit on them so why not use them thought I?

Then I thought - "While I'm about it why not see if I can improve it?"

So I started reading on here and on XDA but all I've achieved is to confuse myself :lol: There are hundreds of threads touching on these subjects and some of these threads have hundreds of pages - I find it almost impossible to uncover a succinct and stepwise account of what to do and what are the best ROMs and Radios.

Sooo, I wonder if anyone would be kind enough to point me in the right direction? What I want is this:

1) SIM Unlock the phone

2) Debrand

3) Install a better ROM / Radio

Ideally, what I'd really like is for someone to write, or point me to, a one post item that explains (preferably in WinMo noob language) what I need and what I have to do.

For example, on the subject of unlocking I found THIS UNLOCKER LINK on XDA but it's 2 1/2 years old and runs to over 100 pages! So is the first post in the thread still current and accurate and I should follow it? Or is there an updated method buried somewhere in the thread that I should use instead?

I end up going round in circles so could someone point me in the right direction please?

Guest worcester4x4

Forgot to put this in the OP

My MDA VarioIII runs WinMo6.1

ROM Version 3.31.110.3 WWE

Radio 1.70.18.02

Is there an unlock method on here anywhere that will work with this? I just noted that the XDA thread I referred to above states that it only works with WinMo 6.0. Is there a method that will work with 6.1?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest awarner

Personally I do not visit XDA Devs as it can get very confusing to the casual viewer but there is a lot of information there if you have the time to wade through it.

For hassle free SIM unlocking for about £10 IMEIcheck.co.uk is the only place I use for unlocking.

As for flashing ROMs I never owned a Vario III so can not suggest the best one to use.