[OLED] 06/Dec r4: MoDaCo Custom ROM (MCR) downloads + Online Kitchen

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest prufrock

Although my phone was delivered on Monday, I wasn't able to touch it until today. Unlocked (via ebay), rooted and flashed using ClockworkMod Recovery. Worked really well and was very easy. Made easier because I use CMR on my Galaxy S. It didn't mention it in the instructions, and maybe it wasn't necessary, but I renamed the rom zip file to update.zip before sticking it on my sd card and flashing with it. Always had to change the name to update.zip when messing with my SGS, so assumed it would be the same with this.

Anyway, thanks a lot!

One question - how do i remove a rather annoying voice mail notification? There are no voicemails for me to listen to, but my phone is insisting I have voicemail.

Edited by prufrock

Guest AntiSilence666
GUYS IM LOST HERE TRIED WITH NEW PHONE COPIED OVER mcri-system-blade-mcr-r3.tar.gz which exists on the mem card 83,921,127 but when i reboot it doesnt flash it just going straigtht to my normal orange rom???

The file must be renamed to "mcri-system.tar.gz" (no quotes) and placed in the root folder of the flash card.

Guest deddog
The file must be renamed to "mcri-system.tar.gz" (no quotes) and placed in the root folder of the flash card.

Am I correct in assuming that the same applies to the file produced when using the "Kitchen", i.e just rename the zip file "mcri-system.tar.gz"?

I think I have it now, I should rename the "baked" file "update.zip, copy to the sd card and reboot the phone to install?

Edited by deddog

Guest Blasphemous
Does anyone know how to switch on the text prediction and correction for the android keyboard?

Go into Settings.

Tap Language & Keyboard.

Tap TouchPal.

Make sure 'Word Prediction' is ticked (tick if not obviously). Go further down that list and make sure 'Swipe to switch layout' is ticked. Go further down again to make sure 'Predict next word', 'Correct mistyping' and 'Relevant words' are all ticked.

Now go into a message or other text input application.

Swipe your finger across the keyboard to select your preferred keyboard layout.

In the bottom left hand corner of the keyboard you should have a small Book icon with DIC written. Tap on that to activate and deactivate predictive text.

Hope that helps.

Edited by Blasphemous

Guest finbaar

As a new boy can I get this straight in my head.

I did the fastboot thing and got Superuser app on my phone. I can see this app and open it up. I put the donwloaded rom file renamed as mcri-system.tar.gz into the root folder of the sd card. When i switch the phone back on is it the Superuser app that is supposed to flash the rom? Well this does not happen for me. I have the app and I have the rom but it does not work. Is there some special way to switch off your phone or switch it back on to kick start the flashing procedure? Should I uninstall Superuser (how?) and start again. Am I potentialy damaging my phone by leaving like this? Any help appreciated.

I paid the membership fee for MoDaCo as I am very happy to have this opertunity to remove the orange crap. However as a born fidler I am almost certain that this will not be my only attempt at this and I could well become an 'addict' as who can resist the temptation 'improve' things.

Just to describe my phones boot now - green dude, flames, orange square then it says on the top banner "preparing sd card" - does this have any thing to do with it, is the sd card not being read until after it has booted up? Probably barking up the wrong tree.

Guest mobile579

I hope I am not repeating questions:

1. Does anyone know if applying a custom rom deletes any of your settings / phonebook etc?

2. Would you need to set APN's and configure all your options again if you followed these custom rom instructions?

3. If you do lose settings when you install a new rom is there an ability to easily backup and restore contacts/settings etc? Or does this feature become available once the custom rom is installed?

4. Spare Parts is included but some people are saying this is Adware - is this still a safe application to run?

5. What is the email icon in the rom - is it Gmail?

6. What is "WiFi Status Indicator"?

7. In the kitchen what does HTC IME do? I believe it is a keyboard enhancer but what features does it provide over the standard TouchPal options?

TIA

Guest dav_dako

Does anyone else's task manager force close if you click on the resources tab? Also, the task manager cant display an applications memory usage on the task tab - just says 'unknown'.

I'm running r3

EDIT: just seen Evil Disco Guy has this too - is this as a result of R3?

Edited by dav_dako

Guest Blasphemous
As a new boy can I get this straight in my head.

I did the fastboot thing and got Superuser app on my phone. I can see this app and open it up. I put the donwloaded rom file renamed as mcri-system.tar.gz into the root folder of the sd card. When i switch the phone back on is it the Superuser app that is supposed to flash the rom? Well this does not happen for me. I have the app and I have the rom but it does not work. Is there some special way to switch off your phone or switch it back on to kick start the flashing procedure? Should I uninstall Superuser (how?) and start again. Am I potentialy damaging my phone by leaving like this? Any help appreciated.

I paid the membership fee for MoDaCo as I am very happy to have this opertunity to remove the orange crap. However as a born fidler I am almost certain that this will not be my only attempt at this and I could well become an 'addict' as who can resist the temptation 'improve' things.

Just to describe my phones boot now - green dude, flames, orange square then it says on the top banner "preparing sd card" - does this have any thing to do with it, is the sd card not being read until after it has booted up? Probably barking up the wrong tree.

I don't wish to insult your intelligence but regarding your question: 'Is there some special way to switch off your phone or switch it back on to kick start the flashing procedure?' Are you pressing the power button down and waiting for the Menu to pop up? Once that menu pops up there should be an option at the bottom to 'Power Off', tap that. The phone will power off completely. Switching it back on is simply a case of pressing the Power button again.

If you're doing all that and the phone is still not seeing the ROM at start up then you could check to see if your PC is set to 'show file extensions'. See here for info on that: http://www.pptfaq.com/FAQ00781.htm If your PC isn't set to see file extensions then it's possible that the ROM on the SD Card has got .gz.gz at the end of the file name. If so, simply remove one of the .gz so that the file name is mcri-system.tar.gz Some people have had this problem.

If the file name is ok then I suspect the ROM is corrupt. You'll need to remove it from the SD Card, download it again and place the new ROM on to the SD Card... remembering to change the file name to mcri-system.tar.gz

Hope that helps.

Edited by Blasphemous

Guest mario999
Paul do you plan to implement A2SD into R4 so I don't have to mess with the villianrom

The Villianrom A2SD stuff looks like an add on to any existing rom as its only 2.69MB in size.

Added A2SD as a test option to the kitchen.

I have reformatted my card (using GParted on Ubuntu) with a main FAT32 partition followed by a 512MB EXT2 partition and it's working great. Note that the Blade kernel currently doesn't support EXT3/4, so it MUST be EXT2 at this time.

P

For those who find R3 jerky,

I can confirm the phone is definetly running much faster on the stock ROM. I baked the stock rom without the orange junk and im using launcher pro. Its much much smoother than the R3 rom.

Im going to use it and let you know how it goes.

Guest fradleyp

I have reformatted my card (using GParted on Ubuntu) with a main FAT32 partition followed by a 512MB EXT2 partition and it's working great. Note that the Blade kernel currently doesn't support EXT3/4, so it MUST be EXT2 at this time.

P

trying it out now pal thanks, do I just create a partition using clockwork?

not had a look round it properly yet, will look when I have backed up

Guest mario999

If I used Gparted Live to partition, would all my existing data on the SD card be erased? I'm guessing it would.

Edited by mario999

Guest JohnMetz
For those who find R3 jerky,

I can confirm the phone is definetly running much faster on the stock ROM. I baked the stock rom without the orange junk and im using launcher pro. Its much much smoother than the R3 rom.

Im going to use it and let you know how it goes.

It would be interesting if you could try R3 without the hardware acceleration - if that's possible.

It would be interesting if you could try R3 without the hardware acceleration - if that's possible.

I might try that and see how i get on. But at the moment, im very happy on the stock rom without the orange junk.

Guest fradleyp

P

I get an error when trying to partition with clockwork

Does anyone else's task manager force close if you click on the resources tab? Also, the task manager cant display an applications memory usage on the task tab - just says 'unknown'.

I'm running r3

EDIT: just seen Evil Disco Guy has this too - is this as a result of R3?

I am having the same issue. Anyone knows if it is related to r3 and what to do about it?

Edited by ajswe

Guest zerosignull

Fantastic ROM Paul. Reminds me of going from original stock pulse ROM -> MCR 1.5 ROM.

One suggestion. Could you put the default alarm application back in? I know u can use "Clock" but it bury away simple functionality and the ZTE enhanced alarm give u a lot more tweaking, not to mention match the alarm tone to ure ringtone.

Guest finbaar
I don't wish to insult your intelligence but regarding your question: 'Is there some special way to switch off your phone or switch it back on to kick start the flashing procedure?' Are you pressing the power button down and waiting for the Menu to pop up? Once that menu pops up there should be an option at the bottom to 'Power Off', tap that. The phone will power off completely. Switching it back on is simply a case of pressing the Power button again.

If you're doing all that and the phone is still not seeing the ROM at start up then you could check to see if your PC is set to 'show file extensions'. See here for info on that: http://www.pptfaq.com/FAQ00781.htm If your PC isn't set to see file extensions then it's possible that the ROM on the SD Card has got .gz.gz at the end of the file name. If so, simply remove one of the .gz so that the file name is mcri-system.tar.gz Some people have had this problem.

If the file name is ok then I suspect the ROM is corrupt. You'll need to remove it from the SD Card, download it again and place the new ROM on to the SD Card... remembering to change the file name to mcri-system.tar.gz

Hope that helps.

Don't worry about insulting my intelligence but I was switching it off properly. I managed to get it loaded using the clockwork recovery thingy after baking my own rom. Now I have the issue where on task manager when you go on the resource tab it force closes. Hope this can be fixed in r4!