Toshiba Folio 100, rooted

Guest SilentMobius

Guest SilentMobius

So, I've returned my folio 100 now but here are the last few things I learned before.

I Installed busybox and tried using busybox's ip command to change the Mac address. That failed with the permissions error noted above. This not unusual, plenty of cheap network chip sets don't let you alter the Mac address.

My next thought was to set up a machine as a man-in-the middle SSL proxy to see what my N1 sends out when it does a checkin. My current theory is that whatever the market uses to get at the hardware "Id" the folio return dotted hex octets rather than a continuous string of hex octets.

Edited by SilentMobius

Guest shawnfr
So, I've returned my folio 100 now but here are the last few things I learned before.

I Installed busybox and tried using busybox's ip command to change the Mac address. That failed with the permissions error noted above. This not unusual, plenty of cheap network chip sets don't let you alter the Mac address.

My next thought was to set up a machine as a man-in-the middle SSL proxy to see what my N1 sends out when it does a checkin. My current theory is that whatever the market uses to get at the hardware "Id" the folio return dotted hex octets rather than a continuous string of hex octets.

I think that looking at the atheros driver on the NVidia GIT might be worth a shot... never actually tried building a driver though. The change log is talking about MAC address and the driver file talks about a softmac file. I wonder if this means it's possible to use a file for the MAC address?

Anyone skilled in building drivers?

http://armin762.wordpress.com/2010/05/24/n...s-6002-working/

Of course it might be the wrong chipset as the folder name seems to be 6003 on the folio...

Guest Bisto321

Y

Rumor has it, Flash will be available tomorrow...

http://www.ubergizmo.com/15/archives/2010/..._wednesday.html

Hopefully flash and some bug fixes and we will be half way there!

Just been in to PCW to pick up cheap padded pocket for it and saw a chap messing about with it! OMG, If that is how it has behaved for every customer I would think they must not have sold a single one. I almost forgot how bad mine was before it started to play nice. Seen clips on YouTube(not on folio :rolleyes:) of an unresponsive folio, it is getting a bad rep.

Someone from Toshiba must be getting some crap from somewhere surely?

Guest steeevo
Y

Hopefully flash and some bug fixes and we will be half way there!

Just been in to PCW to pick up cheap padded pocket for it and saw a chap messing about with it! OMG, If that is how it has behaved for every customer I would think they must not have sold a single one. I almost forgot how bad mine was before it started to play nice. Seen clips on YouTube(not on folio :huh:) of an unresponsive folio, it is getting a bad rep.

Someone from Toshiba must be getting some crap from somewhere surely?

TOSH are producing a custom leather case that folds as a stand like the iPad, £30.

http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/toshiba-folio-1...case-p26195.htm

Also a TV kit with HDMI output and a USB dock.

Can't find any reference to them on PCW sites only mobilefun, but the case it looks very cool :rolleyes:

I'll pop into the New Malden superstore this weekend and see if they have them or are getting them in.

Is anyone else seeing some of the installed apps force close? Mine got much worse after I wiped the data partition, but even out of the box, the Tosh service station didn't seem to be installed properly. Wondering if there is some background process which keeps getting respawned to explain the lag.

Guest Bisto321

They still have an hour and a half :rolleyes:

Do you think it’s coming?

Mug Puppets - the lot of em............

Just seen that they are releasing a 3D 1920x1080 folio 101* next week...............

*3D and HD screen available as download soon!

Edited by Bisto321

*moan start*

I'm rather disappointed with Toshiba.

I've just rang their support line ( 0844 847 8944 for anyone else who wants to try and get some more information from them. ) and they've not a clue. It was an Indian Call Centre. No disrespect to them in that sense, but they're always the last to know anything. But when I asked, should I just return the unit as its not fit for purpose, she just responded with that's your choice. No attempt to apologies or offer any additional information.

The date of the 10th was only found on a few websites, with no really information on exactly who said it and when, or which year... so I guess we have to just wait, and wait, and wait...

There is the Toshiba Folio 100 Update Alert you can register for: http://79.125.123.128/ but so far I've not received anything from them.

I've got Launcher Pro installed which works really well. It has been a lot more responsive since I used that. but I do still get it freezing every so often.

The Browser is great, its just the solid Android 2.2 browser so I'd expect no less, plus Dolphin Browser works well too. I've had a few issues with the Gallery App, in that it crashed and freezes constantly, and the DNLA client is a little poor too. Videos are laggy, and it shows the wrong information for folder contents on several occasions.

Hopefully, the update will update these, and add proper hardware acceleration support and of course Flash support!

I guess this is just a test of now patient we are... I was impatient waiting for the Vega so for the Folio. I'm glad i did though, just the extra storage is a massive bonus. My Desire is always struggling for space, even with a lot of them installed on the SD card, the low Storage alert is always on...

However, should the Vega be working from day one, it will raise a few questions on why the Folio isn't updated!

And of course, there is the question of the Gingerbread update... the name Toshiba does mean that I fully expect them to update the OS, I just hope they don't disappoint!

*moan over*

Guest SilentMobius

FYI, the guys in XDA have been talking about the Tegra2 in the Viewsonic Gtab. One if the things to come out of that is that the T2 does _not_ implement the ARM Neon instruction set. Now this may sound bad but I actually think its good, Neon is all about specific instructions that speed up floating point (Kinda like SSE/MMX), and the T2's FPU is blazing all by itself. However most of the games that use the NDK will most likely be compiling for devices that do have ARM Neon instructions and hence the hard crash (this is probably what's up with flash as well) so this is good news in that it's likely that this explains most of the current batch of problems without resorting to "The opengles driver/lib is busted"

Could still be wrong, but I think this bodes well for the Folio.

Guest whatkatedoes

Mine's in real danger of going back tomorrow if there's no hint of flash coming soon :rolleyes: Am very disappointed that there was an announcement by the Toshiba UK spokesguy for Wednesday, then nothing.

Otherwise I really like it, once its booted and settled down it runs lovely, and using the SlideME apps market thing lots of nice apps are available, including a nifty if somewhat glitchy 3D pool game, and a Tron lightcycle thingie.

I *wish* there was a shoutcast player, and a fullsize comic CBR/CBZ reader tho.

K

Guest Darryl991
Mine's in real danger of going back tomorrow if there's no hint of flash coming soon :rolleyes: Am very disappointed that there was an announcement by the Toshiba UK spokesguy for Wednesday, then nothing.

Otherwise I really like it, once its booted and settled down it runs lovely, and using the SlideME apps market thing lots of nice apps are available, including a nifty if somewhat glitchy 3D pool game, and a Tron lightcycle thingie.

I *wish* there was a shoutcast player, and a fullsize comic CBR/CBZ reader tho.

K

To be honest I'm thinking the same. I've used my Desire more than the Tosh at home. Been checking for the update every morning then turning the thing off. Played a pool game on it which was a bit choppy. Do we have up to 28 days to take it back? Would rather not have to but.....

Guest Bisto321
To be honest I'm thinking the same. I've used my Desire more than the Tosh at home. Been checking for the update every morning then turning the thing off. Played a pool game on it which was a bit choppy. Do we have up to 28 days to take it back? Would rather not have to but.....

XDA poster is stating that toshiba france has tweeted it will arrive on the 15th. That is my cut off for a return, I do like it but the flash thing is a bit too much.

Lots of people have taken them back, I would think that PCW/Currys would struggle to argue that it is fit for purpose or as described.

Guest whatkatedoes

Thought the guy above was a joker... but right enough.. in the toshiba service manager thingie, theres an adboe flash player for android BETA..

downloading as I type this...

Guest tdouble
It works, it works,

Flash works on Folio 100,

I can see Youtube now,

ITS a MIRACLE

:rolleyes: :huh: :huh: :D

lol you just beat me to it CHECK YOUR TOSHIBA SERVICE STATION PEOPLE FLASH PLUGIN BETA AVAILABLE!!!!!!!

Guest tdouble

CHECK YOUR TOSHIBA SERVICE STATION PEOPLE FLASH PLUGIN BETA AVAILABLE!!!!!!!

Working well just tried BBC Iplayer works well :rolleyes: and they stuck to the date too :huh:

Guest Darryl991
Yup :D

working lovely in the standard browser, not in opera unfortunately. Ah well :huh: Progress ! :rolleyes:

Aaaarrrgghhh, I left the damn thing at home..... Why oh why didn't I bring it to the office...? :huh:

Wonder if the other half will mind me taking it to the pub/restaurant tonight? Booked in for 7, not enough play time....

No driver updates though?

Guest whatkatedoes

It appeared to just be the flash update.. but I've not spotted the folio doing its period random wakeup from standby.. but its probly just messing with me :rolleyes:

Guest Bisto321
It appeared to just be the flash update.. but I've not spotted the folio doing its period random wakeup from standby.. but its probly just messing with me :rolleyes:

Mine is not seeing any updates?