08 Aug Gr15 GRJ22: MoDaCo Custom ROM for the Samsung Nexus S with Online Kitchen

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Brodie Berlin
I checked the xda forum on the modaco nexus s thread and found two others with the same issue. Adb push of cw recovery , wipe, reflash r6 should do the trick.

Yeah, that works fine for me. I could easily upgrade from r6 to r7 and r8 with the rom manager now.

I realise this is a noob question from someone who's never flashed an Android ROM, but there's no way to activate or install that on stock is there?

I've rooted it, but I'm not quite ready for forsaking the whole "clean Google experience" that made me buy the Nexus S in the first place...

Well, this effectively IS a "clean Google experience" ROM, that's the whole point... MCRs are gently massaged stock.

P

Is there a chance we can see a Battery mods so the battery icon can show the actual percentage in the notification bar ?

Other than that its a Great Work!

keep it up ;)

Guest MrNameless

Hi Paul! I put the framework files and android policy in my ROM, and gave credti to you, but reboot doesn't work and in logcat i got this error

01-17 11:42:46.937: ERROR/lilhermitCore(1026): Native:runcmd_wrapper - Can't run command Native library not loaded!

Any help?

Alright people, there's a new update... a 'r8 refresh'.

This is the debut of 'Appearance Packs', basically graphical changes built into the ROM that affect other installed apps - firstly Tweetdeck. If you select the 'Tweetdeck appearance pack' from the kitchen, your Tweetdeck notification icon will look like the image below. Much more in keeping with Gingerbread than the stock option right? :)

In line with this new option and in light of the interest in my AdFree patch, the default 'extras' prebake now includes the appearance pack and AdFree... no kitchen access required.

Enjoy! ;)

P

PS If you reinstall / update Tweetdeck, you have to reboot to reapply the appearance pack.

tweetdecknewnotify.png

Guest MrNameless
android.policy.jar and wrote my own reboot app.

P

Thanks for the fast answer, but it doesn't work yet, return with this logcat error:

01-17 11:42:46.937: ERROR/lilhermitCore(1026): Native:runcmd_wrapper - Can't run command Native library not loaded!

Solved!!!

Edited by MrNameless

How the Tweetdeck appearance pack works!

The appearance pack consists of the following parts:

• Zip binary in /system/bin (thanks freeasbeer)
  • Script in /system/etc/init.d, called by run-parts at startup
  • Replacement images in /system/etc/appearance/tweetdeck

• At system startup script is called from /etc/init.d
    • Script remounts system r/w
    • Script checks for the Tweetdeck APK in /data/app. If it exists, it moves it to /system/app
    • Script zips the new images into the relocated Tweetdeck APK
    • Script remounts system r/o
    • Now, this might seem a bit strange (particularly the 'move to system' bit), but let me explain why it's done this way.

If you modify an APK, you break the certificate. It becomes invalid. Now, Android checks the integrity of the APKs in /data/app at start, but not in /system/app. So, if you mess with something in /data/app, it'll break. If you mess with something in /system/app, you can get away with it.

The clued up amongst you are probably asking 'why not just re-sign the APK on device in /data/app'? The answer to this is straightforward - if you re-sign the APK with a difference certificate, you break the ability to update the app via the Android Market, which is important.

Simple yet effective huh? ;) For devs, i've included all the required files to see how this works here.

P

Guest MrNameless
You forgot the native library didn't you. ;)

Are you planning to include my reboot app in your ROM then?

P

Yes, and i gave credit to you :)

Another thing: is possible to make a /data partition to put apps into it and make them removable?

Guest objecttothis
You MUST WIPE YOUR DEVICE before flashing this ROM. The ONLY exception is if you are upgrading from the r1 release. This is due to the resigning of key components with the AOSP platform key, to facilitate skinning / customising etc.

Hi Paul,

By way of suggestion, I found this statement to be difficult to understand if you meant only R1 to another release or if you meant any release to a newer release. I know now that if flashing the ROM from any release (not just R1) that I don't have to wipe my phone. Perhaps you could reword the above statement (to avoid future questions) to read: You MUST WIPE YOUR DEVICE before flashing this ROM. The ONLY exception is if you are upgrading from a previous release of this ROM. This is due to the resigning of key components with the AOSP platform key, to facilitate skinning / customising etc.

Let me know if I'm wrong because if so I've been risking making a paperweight out of my phone.

Guest KroonBerg
How the Tweetdeck appearance pack works!

The appearance pack consists of the following parts:

• Zip binary in /system/bin (thanks freeasbeer)
  • Script in /system/etc/init.d, called by run-parts at startup
  • Replacement images in /system/etc/appearance/tweetdeck

• At system startup script is called from /etc/init.d
    • Script remounts system r/w
    • Script checks for the Tweetdeck APK in /data/app. If it exists, it moves it to /system/app
    • Script zips the new images into the relocated Tweetdeck APK
    • Script remounts system r/o

Now, this might seem a bit strange (particularly the 'move to system' bit), but let me explain why it's done this way.

If you modify an APK, you break the certificate. It becomes invalid. Now, Android checks the integrity of the APKs in /data/app at start, but not in /system/app. So, if you mess with something in /data/app, it'll break. If you mess with something in /system/app, you can get away with it.

The clued up amongst you are probably asking 'why not just re-sign the APK on device in /data/app'? The answer to this is straightforward - if you re-sign the APK with a difference certificate, you break the ability to update the app via the Android Market, which is important.

Simple yet effective huh? ;) For devs, i've included all the required files to see how this works here.

P

Hey Paul!

I don't know what you think about this, but if you don't feel that it's okay you can just tell me.

Anyway, I was just wondering what it would take to make this work on HTC Desire (Bravo) GSM? if you don't think it's okay that I use your work, just tell me!

Thanks!

Update!

P

Changelog

r9 19/Jan

• Updated to prevent RIL writing bin files to /sdcard
  • Fixed Thinkfree Office crash
  • AdFree removed from the kitchen (Market version now fixed for Gingerbread)

Guest AndiTails

Working brilliantly, Paul. Loving your work, as ever - and the TweekDeck mod looks perfect.

Hope the programmers start getting their hands dirty with some kernel writing soon - my Nexus One completely kicks my S's butt when it comes to battery... Ah well, patience ;)

Guest Phillip McMahon
Update!

P

Changelog

r9 19/Jan

• Fixed Thinkfree Office crash
  • AdFree removed from the kitchen (Market version now fixed for Gingerbread)

thanks for all the great work. just installed r9 after a full device wipe.

i have noticed that if usb debug is disabled then the reboot screen/app hangs when attempting to use this new functionality.

the main menu screen stays on and the reboot app options appears underneath. it requires pulling the battery to get the phone usable again.

enabling usb debugging fixes the problem.

cheers,

phill

possible bug, if I tap the power button to get the 'phone options' menu up and select 'reboot' the reboot options appear behind the phone options window, but it never closes.

Only way to get rid of it is remove the battery from what I can see...

Hey Paul, loving the ROM, thanks for all the regular updates. Looking forward to getting some hacks that extend the battery life. So far your ROM seems to be more stable than the stock 2.2.1 ROM that I had on my Nexus One...

Does this relate to the radio_dump_xxxxx.bin file that has appeared on my sdcard? I assume this is a crash dump and can be safely deleted?

Also, after upgrading to r9 from r8update, tweetdeck is no longer installed - what method shall I use to restore this and keep your appearance customisation?

Edited by Jack H