[GUIDE] Common Problems / Questions / FAQ

Guest StevenHarperUK

Guest willimann

Hello everyone!

I already posted the following issue in the JJ Kalt-Kaffe Thread (this thread is at 168 pages at the moment and I think my question got lost somewhere). Nevertheless I tried to activate A2SD using an ext2/ext3 partition following this guide (btw thanks for that). So here my question:

I'm using JJ RLS7 and I'm very happy with it. There is only one thing, which is not clear to me. I want to use A2SD with Ext2 as second primary partition (first one is FAT32). The FAT32-part is working as usual, but I'm not sure with the Ext2 part: in the normal Android settings I cannot find A2SD or something. Using the App QuickSystemInfo I get the information that my A2SD partition is about 1 gig (which should be correct). But when I install apps, the free amount of internal memory gets smaller and the A2SD-partiton has still the same free value. So, has anyone an idea why I can't install to EXT2? Thank you very much! Btw: I also tried ext3 - same effect.

Thanks for your help!

Regards, Willi

Guest mfactor

At least one other has had this problem I found when I googled it, every couple of days the ringtone and sms notification sounds reset to the defaut ones, phone did this when stock orange and after being rooted, not a big deal but annoying

Hi all

I have a problem with my ZTE Blade. I upgraded to Android 2.2, the whole process worked fine, since i got to the point where the phone is booting the first time on Android 2.2. In the upgrade guide they talk about 8 min. to recalibrate the new software, but my phone doesn't do anything, it stays for hours at the black screen with the silver ANDROID sign.

I can't reach clockworkmode, my PC (WIN 7) doesn't recognise my phone if I plug it in, i can't do nothing.

I am a Newbie and I don't have much experience so could you please help me, my phone otherwise stays unusable and I have to buy a new one, if I can't fix this problem.

Guest StevenHarperUK
Hi all

I have a problem with my ZTE Blade. I upgraded to Android 2.2, the whole process worked fine, since i got to the point where the phone is booting the first time on Android 2.2. In the upgrade guide they talk about 8 min. to recalibrate the new software, but my phone doesn't do anything, it stays for hours at the black screen with the silver ANDROID sign.

I can't reach clockworkmode, my PC (WIN 7) doesn't recognise my phone if I plug it in, i can't do nothing.

I am a Newbie and I don't have much experience so could you please help me, my phone otherwise stays unusable and I have to buy a new one, if I can't fix this problem.

Have you booted into Clockwork and done a WIPE?

In thread

http://android.modaco.com/content/zte-blad...-the-zte-blade/

section 2. How to Install a ROM using Clockwork via Recovery Manager

in the Help it wont boot - subsection

• Remove the battery
  • Put the battery back in
  • Hold the Volume Down button turn the phone on
  • Use Volume Up / Down to move between options
  • Use Home key to select an option
  • Use Back key to go back
  • From the clockwork menu choose: wipe cache partition.
  • From the clockwork menu choose: wipe data/factory reset.
  • From the main menu choose: Reboot

Guest bigmc88

was following ztedd's guide on how to free space up for apps -

A A2SD vs. App2SD/MOVE2SD:

Explanation of the terms here. Also have a look at this explanating post.

To install A2SD you need to partition your SD card. To do this:

1. Backup the content of your SD card to your PC

2. partition your SD card using clockworkmod recovery (on boot press Volume Down + Power Button, then in clockworkmod menu choose partition sd card - then choose size of ext2: 512 or 1024 MB - choose size of swap: 0MB, as swap isn't needed)

3. copy your backup back to your sd card

4. either your ROM should support A2SD or you have to install it manually. For that you would need an init.d boot script that (a.) mounts the ext2 partition on your sd card to /system/sd and (b.) moves your /data/app folder to /system/sd, creating a symlink (symbolic link) from /data/app to /system/sd/app.

Where to get that boot script? - Perhaps someone has a link. If it's needed, we can upload such a script taken from a custom ROM.

you can see if A2SD is working if you browse to /system/sd folder and check if there is something inside. /system/sd is the ext2 partition on your sd card.

i can't find this /system bit at all. do i do this through my phone/computer/clockwork?

Quick noob quesiton.

I want to upgrade my ROM and have synched my contacts to my google account (thats the only thing I want to keep). The SD card is cluttered with lots of storage for Apps on my current ROM.

Can I:

Go to settings storage: unmount SD Card, reformat it, turn the phone off, boot into Clockwork 3.0.0.5 install new 2.2 ROM and start it up? Or if I reformat it like that will it instantly put a load of crap off my current ROM back on to the SD card before I turn the phone off? Should I install the new ROM then format the SD card instead? I just want the smoothest (newest feeling) running of my blade.

Thanks

Have you booted into Clockwork and done a WIPE?

In thread

http://android.modaco.com/content/zte-blad...-the-zte-blade/

section 2. How to Install a ROM using Clockwork via Recovery Manager

in the Help it wont boot - subsection

• Remove the battery
  • Put the battery back in
  • Hold the Volume Down button turn the phone on
  • Use Volume Up / Down to move between options
  • Use Home key to select an option
  • Use Back key to go back
  • From the clockwork menu choose: wipe cache partition.
  • From the clockwork menu choose: wipe data/factory reset.
  • From the main menu choose: Reboot

First off all, thanks for your response!

Second I'm sry for my English, I'm from Switzerland and I don't have a large vocabulary, so what is a WIPE?

I've allready tried to reinstall the drivers, but I can't find the two ZTE HSUB Device's anymore, they are not there if I plug the phone in!

So I can't reinstall the drivers!

And again, my phone isn't starting, I am not able to do anything on the phone, the only thing which works is to press power and the volume + button, then the green Android guy stays.

I'm am right now not able to do anything other, my PC can't connect via USB to the phone, this can not be ignored!

Edited by SAFire

Guest willimann
was following ztedd's guide on how to free space up for apps -

A A2SD vs. App2SD/MOVE2SD:

Explanation of the terms here. Also have a look at this explanating post.

To install A2SD you need to partition your SD card. To do this:

1. Backup the content of your SD card to your PC

2. partition your SD card using clockworkmod recovery (on boot press Volume Down + Power Button, then in clockworkmod menu choose partition sd card - then choose size of ext2: 512 or 1024 MB - choose size of swap: 0MB, as swap isn't needed)

3. copy your backup back to your sd card

4. either your ROM should support A2SD or you have to install it manually. For that you would need an init.d boot script that (a.) mounts the ext2 partition on your sd card to /system/sd and (b.) moves your /data/app folder to /system/sd, creating a symlink (symbolic link) from /data/app to /system/sd/app.

Where to get that boot script? - Perhaps someone has a link. If it's needed, we can upload such a script taken from a custom ROM.

you can see if A2SD is working if you browse to /system/sd folder and check if there is something inside. /system/sd is the ext2 partition on your sd card.

i can't find this /system bit at all. do i do this through my phone/computer/clockwork?

As far as I understand, you would need to use a "root"-explorer to see this folder.

I'm using RootExplorer and can navigate to this folder - it is correctly mounted (says 970MB free, 2k used). There is only a lost&found Folder in there...

I've another problem with A2SD:

Unfortunately this number (2k) used stays the same even after installing new apps - the internal memory goes down...

Thanks for your hints.

Willi

Guest bigmc88
name='willimann' date='Feb 2 2011, 19:47' post='1586728']

As far as I understand, you would need to use a "root"-explorer to see this folder.

I'm using RootExplorer and can navigate to this folder - it is correctly mounted (says 970MB free, 2k used). There is only a lost&found Folder in there...

Unfortunately this number (2k) used stays the same even after installing new apps - the internal memory goes down...

Thanks for your hints.

Willi

thanks man will give this a go

Edited by bigmc88

Thanks for your question on how to check the /system/sd folder, in fact I didn`t make it clear enough - I updated my guide:

[GUIDE] How to get more FREE SPACE for your apps

2011-02-04; A2SD/ change partitition sizes (all ROMs)/ move data to SD

Thanks for your hints.

Willi

This is also included in my guide (in the middle of section A, use your internet browser to search for "However, even if you have A2SD working you can still get into troubles with little space left."):

However, even if you have A2SD working you can still get into troubles with little space left.

This is because of android's design, if you install an app, it will create stuff in these folders:

/data/app/XYZ-1.apk

-> original .apk file; this is used by the dalvik machine to create executable and is used by paket manager to restore default data (if you go to Settings - Apps - manage apps - (select an app) - delete data + cache

-> if you use A2SD, this folder will be on your sd card (mounted to /system/sd, with symlink to /data/app)

-> if you use App2SD, then some of the apps in this folder are moved to /sdcard/.android-secure (only the ones that enabled the Move2SD function and only the ones you manually move using settings - apps or "Apps 2 SD" app)

/data/dalvik-cache/data@[email protected]@classes.dex

-> this is the dalvik-executable file of the app - compiled for YOUR android phone. the app won't be executable without this, but you can delete it and it will be restored after next reboot. for compiling it uses the classes.dex inside the XYZ-1.apk zip archive (see 1.)

/data/data/XYZ

-> this is the data folder of your app. it will be created on install (from the content in the .apk's res, lib and assets folders) and be changed by your app. If you choose "delete data" in the settings - apps menu, this folder will be reseted to the default data, using the .apk file located in (1.)

-> so it's save to delete the contents of this folder, but it will be restored on next start of the app

SO:

even if you use A2SD (/data/app located on ext2 partition on the sd card) or Apps2SD (.apk files are stored on /sdcard/.android-secure and mounted to /mnt/asec ), you still will have the same space or even a bit more in the /data/dalvik-cache and the /data/data/ folders.

You can solve that problem by following the sections B and C in this guide (changing the partition sizes in order to get more free space, section B

and

moving data or dalvik-cache to sd card, section C).

Guest StevenHarperUK
A quick question, How do I remove a custom theme I installed on any ROM, without factory reset?

Simply Re-flash the original ROM over the top.

Adding to FAQ

How do I remove a custom theme I installed on any ROM, without factory reset?

Simply Re-flash the original ROM over the top in Clockwork.

Guest StevenHarperUK

Added

I want to install a ROM, but remove some of the included APPs

Simply open the ZIP file you downloaded and browse to /system/app

Then remove the APPS you don't want - be careful.

Stock Android 2.1, OLED Orange San Francisco.

Having owned my phone for a couple of months, I decided to try and remove some of the Orange bloatware before diving into custom ROMs etc.

I followed the instructions here and used "Universal Androot" to root the phone. All seemed well.

However, I've noticed that the phone sometimes forgets it's been rooted....!

When I run Titanium Backup, it often complains that it can't get SU permissions. I then go back into Univeral Androot which says my phone is already rooted, but lets me root it again. I haven't seen this problem mentioned on any of the ZTE forums. If the phone isn't convinced that it's rooted, I'm very hesitant to start uninstalling bloatware apps in case it fails during the process.

My phone is set to "Unknown sources – Allow installation of non-Market applications > YES", as I've been installing APKs from outside the Market quite happily.

Any advice appreciated.

Guest Bungled
Stock Android 2.1, OLED Orange San Francisco.

Having owned my phone for a couple of months, I decided to try and remove some of the Orange bloatware before diving into custom ROMs etc.

I followed the instructions here and used "Universal Androot" to root the phone. All seemed well.

However, I've noticed that the phone sometimes forgets it's been rooted....!

When I run Titanium Backup, it often complains that it can't get SU permissions. I then go back into Univeral Androot which says my phone is already rooted, but lets me root it again. I haven't seen this problem mentioned on any of the ZTE forums. If the phone isn't convinced that it's rooted, I'm very hesitant to start uninstalling bloatware apps in case it fails during the process.

My phone is set to "Unknown sources – Allow installation of non-Market applications > YES", as I've been installing APKs from outside the Market quite happily.

Any advice appreciated.

There is a post somewhere around here that expands on this, but basically you need to root the phone each time you turn it on if you are doing anything that requires root. If you aren't, then you don't need to obviously.

Edited by Bungled

Guest Down&Out

Another noob question.

My blade doesnt seem to be coping, first it wouldnt boot, so i cleared the cache and did a factory reset.

Then it booted into it alright, but then it wouldnt mount to usb, so i downloaded usb drivers, nothing.

So i did another factory reset and now it either sits on the android boot image, or boots, freezes and reboots. Its like an endless cycle.

Help?

Guest StevenHarperUK
Another noob question.

My blade doesnt seem to be coping, first it wouldnt boot, so i cleared the cache and did a factory reset.

Then it booted into it alright, but then it wouldnt mount to usb, so i downloaded usb drivers, nothing.

So i did another factory reset and now it either sits on the android boot image, or boots, freezes and reboots. Its like an endless cycle.

Help?

Have you installed clockwork yet?

Guest Alexander_13

Hello colleagues

I'm a newbie here and first-week user of Orange SF. (Forgive me if I'm posting in a wrong place.)

I just love the baby. But I've discovered two problems related to incoming calls and phone's speaker:

1) When the headset is attached, the incoming call is not coming from earphones, but from the main speaker only. However, if the radio is on, the sound in earphones is muted. For instance, you're listening to radio in the street: if the earphones suddenly become silent one can guess about the incoming call! Quite unusual.

2) When I set a song as ringtone, it works ok. But after some time, somehow it always switches back to one of standard melodies (to the ugliest one, in fact :D ). So, the ringtone preset fuction is actually not working.

Had anybody experienced same problems, or just me? Any suggestions? Thanks in advance. BTW, I have OLED version.

Thanks amigos

Guest StevenHarperUK
Hello colleagues

I'm a newbie here and first-week user of Orange SF. (Forgive me if I'm posting in a wrong place.)

I just love the baby. But I've discovered two problems related to incoming calls and phone's speaker:

1) When the headset is attached, the incoming call is not coming from earphones, but from the main speaker only. However, if the radio is on, the sound in earphones is muted. For instance, you're listening to radio in the street: if the earphones suddenly become silent one can guess about the incoming call! Quite unusual.

2) When I set a song as ringtone, it works ok. But after some time, somehow it always switches back to one of standard melodies (to the ugliest one, in fact :D ). So, the ringtone preset fuction is actually not working.

Had anybody experienced same problems, or just me? Any suggestions? Thanks in advance. BTW, I have OLED version.

Thanks amigos

What ROM are you running?

Guest StevenHarperUK

Update

I Want to send my Phone back to the Operator - how do I make it back to stock?

The best way to do this is to run a TPT which has been made for your operator's original ROM.

A TPT that is built to do this restores the phone to exactly as it comes out of the factory

This includes BOOT, RECOVERY and SYSTEM partitions. The DATA and CACHE are also wiped.

Here is a Link to a TPT designed for Orange UK Phones

http://android.modaco.com/content/zte-blad...-2011-oled-tft/

Here is a Link to a TPT for Hungarian Phones

http://android.modaco.com/content/zte-blad...vices-to-512mb/

Guest Alexander_13
What ROM are you running?

Steven,

I am using the original SF from the box.

By the way, today I tried to use bluetooth headset (samsung wep 870) instead of standard earphones: same result. The BT headset's status is "paired and connected". But at incoming call only the phone's speaker is ringing, no sound in the earphone at all.

Do other phones with earphones plugged in or BT headset connected accept calls normally? Thanks in advance for your help and comments.

Edited by Alexander_13

Guest StevenHarperUK
Steven,

I am using the original SF from the box.

Thanx

The problems you have are the same on all the out of the box san fransisco's - installing a 2.2 ROM will "fix" these problems.

Guest Alexander_13
The problems you have are the same on all the out of the box san fransisco's - installing a 2.2 ROM will "fix" these problems.

Many thanks indeed. You do recommend the 2.2 ROM, not the 2.1 ROM? I'm newbie in Android, former user of WM. I've tried to get some orientation in the ROMs from the forum threads, but I guess that's something that takes a while.