[STOPPED] CyanogenMod Beta2 Omnia 2 (updated: 04.05.2012)

Guest voyteckst

Guest r_mangler

Hi Folks,

After installing Froyo beta 1 (in Internal Storage) and beta 2 (which was working without problems on SD-card) I wanted to switch back to Internal Storage installation with beta 3.

Now everything is working to my wishes:

- Android is running from Internal Storage, Swap is on Internal Storage as well

- Music is stored on SD-card and being recognized by music players

- SD-card is mounted in Android as /sdcard

- remaining Internal Storage is mounted in Android as /storage

This is my device:

Omnia II with 8 GB Internal Storage and 16 GB SD-card.

Internal storage is formatted as suggested in the guide from Gardakkan.

SD-card is formatted as a fat32 logical partition (SD-card is extended partition). The formatting I did with Windows Mobile. Prior to that I deleted all partitions on the SD-card.

In order to get this working I didn't follow Gardakkan 100%.

Here is what I did different:

vold.fstab in /media/system/system/etc

(according to suggestion of thanh_nha0706)

Change the following line:

dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard auto /devices/platform/s3c-sdhci.0/mmc_host/mmc0

-->

dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard auto /devices/platform/s3c-sdhci.1/mmc_host/mmc1

init.rc in /media/system/

uncommented the follwing line:

# mount vfat /dev/block/mmcblk0p5 /sdcard

-->

mount vfat /dev/block/mmcblk0p5 /sdcard

mount vfat /dev/block/mmcblk1p5 /storage

-->

mount vfat /dev/block/mmcblk1p1 /storage

I wanted to thank the dev's for the great work !! Keep on the good job !

If I might be allowed to express a wish ... it would be really nice to have a working FM-radio in Android Froyo :-)

I going ask again

how can add in this beta 3 mine ringtones?

... skip. ..

any help please

as in any other android,easiest way is to copy the file to correspondint folder in system/media/ with root explorer

Actually,if u pay attention to list of existing ring tone and search for any listed title in ur android,u can identify te path at once (that's how i learn)

Edited by Job21

Guest acsel10

Hello everyone, I just installed the beta 3 by following the guide of Gardakkan and modifying some detail that was different for me (like mounting the sdcard for example ...), now I'm really happy with how Android works on my omnia .

There is only a question that I want to do and that is if in this beta 3 you come back to using the phone part that was on the old beta 1, because the GPS cant take a signal over as fast as in the beta 2, onestly my phone now cant take GPS signal and i cant use google navigator app, important for me.

If something else to make the tricks I would try the GPS happy:)

Apart from this problem I think this is better than the beta even.

Thanks for the great work, you seem to get to a full version. You are great!

every thing work's fine.. but after I put my SDCARD and restart.. it wont boot.. :(

my question is : how to check "position" of my SDCARD? (ex: mmcblk1p5 or mmcblk0p5.. etc)

thanks...

Guest alaamac199

I have used the automatic installer to install beta3 on my SD card (4 GB - class4) ..

it did install it and everything is working just fine, except for that it doesn't see the (My storage) partition (in /storage path) ..

therefore it doesn't update the Android with when I put the update packages (frb2update.tar.gz) in my storage and start Haret ..

any idea why ??

Guest andylau

I have used the automatic installer to install beta3 on my SD card (4 GB - class4) ..

it did install it and everything is working just fine, except for that it doesn't see the (My storage) partition (in /storage path) ..

therefore it doesn't update the Android with when I put the update packages (frb2update.tar.gz) in my storage and start Haret ..

any idea why ??

update packages should be named frb3update.tar.gz now

Guest voyteckst

Hello everyone, I just installed the beta 3 by following the guide of Gardakkan and modifying some detail that was different for me (like mounting the sdcard for example ...), now I'm really happy with how Android works on my omnia .

There is only a question that I want to do and that is if in this beta 3 you come back to using the phone part that was on the old beta 1, because the GPS cant take a signal over as fast as in the beta 2, onestly my phone now cant take GPS signal and i cant use google navigator app, important for me.

If something else to make the tricks I would try the GPS happy:)

Apart from this problem I think this is better than the beta even.

Thanks for the great work, you seem to get to a full version. You are great!

Guys, with beta 2 GPS was quick, but phone didn't work for all. On beta 3 phone should work for all, but GPS is slower (like in WM). We're trying to fix this, but it can take time.

Guest thanh_nha0706

Hi Folks,

After installing Froyo beta 1 (in Internal Storage) and beta 2 (which was working without problems on SD-card) I wanted to switch back to Internal Storage installation with beta 3.

Now everything is working to my wishes:

- Android is running from Internal Storage, Swap is on Internal Storage as well

- Music is stored on SD-card and being recognized by music players

- SD-card is mounted in Android as /sdcard

- remaining Internal Storage is mounted in Android as /storage

This is my device:

Omnia II with 8 GB Internal Storage and 16 GB SD-card.

Internal storage is formatted as suggested in the guide from Gardakkan.

SD-card is formatted as a fat32 logical partition (SD-card is extended partition). The formatting I did with Windows Mobile. Prior to that I deleted all partitions on the SD-card.

In order to get this working I didn't follow Gardakkan 100%.

Here is what I did different:

vold.fstab in /media/system/system/etc

(according to suggestion of thanh_nha0706)

-->

dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard auto /devices/platform/s3c-sdhci.1/mmc_host/mmc1

init.rc in /media/system/

uncommented the follwing line:

# mount vfat /dev/block/mmcblk0p5 /sdcard

-->

mount vfat /dev/block/mmcblk0p5 /sdcard

-->

I wanted to thank the dev's for the great work !! Keep on the good job !

If I might be allowed to express a wish ... it would be really nice to have a working FM-radio in Android Froyo :-)

Hope it helps you somehow...

Edited by thanh_nha0706

Guest Gardakkan

Wouhou! My GT-i8000 shows up in my account on Android's Market. It would not work with the previous beta, that is so much better then having to use the device's market app :D

Seriously this release is simply amazing!

For me it's blazing fast!

If I could only ask one thing for next release would be able to use hardware accelerated video when I play movies. But still everything else is just awesome.

Long live the dev's team!

Guest lipe123

I got the SD card working (thanks for the aditional mods to the guide) but still no USB connection to the computer while running android. Any way I can troubleshoot the usb thing?

Guest Gardakkan

anyone else when get a call you have to wait 5-6 seconds before you can answer the call?

yeah i'm guessing that's hardware related since the phone app must be a bit more demanding then the one on WinMo but at least now the screen lights up! hehehe

Guest Gardakkan

I got the SD card working (thanks for the aditional mods to the guide) but still no USB connection to the computer while running android. Any way I can troubleshoot the usb thing?

USB works for me on Win7 but it didn't work on my XP PC at work. maybe its a driver that XP doesn't have by default.

Guest voyteckst

Wouhou! My GT-i8000 shows up in my account on Android's Market. It would not work with the previous beta, that is so much better then having to use the device's market app :D

Seriously this release is simply amazing!

For me it's blazing fast!

If I could only ask one thing for next release would be able to use hardware accelerated video when I play movies. But still everything else is just awesome.

Long live the dev's team!

Strange, because it worked for me also in beta 1 and 2....

USB works for me on Win7 but it didn't work on my XP PC at work. maybe its a driver that XP doesn't have by default.

For XP there is a FAQ thread and there is describe how to install (step 1 isn't needed).

Edited by voyteckst

Guest lotuxete

Is there any chance to get FM-Radio working in the future? I miss it ¡

Everything else is working fine (really fine) and faster than ever for me. Wifi, Camera, Phone, Bluetooth... great work devs. ¡

Bye.

Guest andylau

Is there any chance to get FM-Radio working in the future? I miss it ¡

Everything else is working fine (really fine) and faster than ever for me. Wifi, Camera, Phone, Bluetooth... great work devs. ¡

Bye.

+1, i have gotten a headache for sleeping too less time, good night

Guest lipe123

Strange, because it worked for me also in beta 1 and 2....

For XP there is a FAQ thread and there is describe how to install (step 1 isn't needed).

I'm using windows 7/ubuntu and on both the "new device detected" sound never happens when I connect the USB cable to pc. All that happens is the battery shows as charging when I connect the phone to the pc. When I switch to winmo with the same cable it works fine.

I tried the *#7284# code and it took about 2 minutes before I got a reponse that said "usb connect error or invalid mmi code"

I'm going to try the wifi adb and see if the log helps. Wifi adb works but I have no idea what to do now to troubleshoot this, when i conenct the cable i just see battery charging related messages and nothing that looks helpfull.

This is the last few lines:

D/ConnectivityService( 2000): ConnectivityChange for mobile: CONNECTING/CONNECTING

D/NetworkLocationProvider( 2000): onDataConnectionStateChanged 3

E/Tethering( 2000): Error listing Interfaces :java.lang.IllegalStateException: Cannot communicate with native daemon to

list interfaces

D/SystemClock( 2302): Setting time of day to sec=1319312130

D/dalvikvm( 2000): GC_EXPLICIT freed 2436 objects / 105272 bytes in 325ms

D/dalvikvm( 2302): GC_FOR_MALLOC freed 36302 objects / 1974896 bytes in 187ms

D/WifiService( 2000): ACTION_BATTERY_CHANGED pluggedType: 1

D/dalvikvm( 2000): GC_EXPLICIT freed 4103 objects / 189072 bytes in 304ms

D/Digital Clock( 2407): Update broadcast received.

Edited by lipe123

Hi Guys,

First of all great work :)

Just one question atm, I installed the beta3 on my internal storage. Android starts up fine. I can connect to my wifi and browse the net, etc.

My phone however says that there is no service, so I'm unable to make calls. Have I missed a setting somewhere?

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated :)

Thanx,

AJ

Guest thematias

Dev's thanks again for the great work!

I tried to install on my 2 Gb SD card but as it has 850 mb free because of the previous partition with Beta 1, I can't format the card. It doesn't goes to the original 2 Gb available space. Any idea how to do this? I don't have Ubuntu by the way. Please someone give me any kind of help!

Thx

Guest Agrajag

Hey, anyone is having problem with 3D graphics?

Here, even "Dragon Fly", that run smooth in Beta 2, don't run well. In Angry Birds, there are a lots of white squares, and white background also.

Ah, and battery is draining too quick.

I installed in My Storage and did a swap partition in SDCard (that is working). Then, I have a lot of free RAM, so I guess that the problem is in processor.

Guest sea doo

1- Preparing the filesystem: phone booted on Windows Mobile and PC under Linux

- Connect your phone to your PC (Making sure you've selected the My Storage partition in Home -> General Settings -> USB Connection -> Mass Storage -> My Storage)

- Started Gparted and choose the 15.36 Gb partition (should be the last device in the dropdown list)

- Unmount the fat32 partition

- Delete the fat32 partition and all other partitions including the extended partition (this will remove the hidden partition)

- Create 1 primary fat32 partition of about 14.7 Gb labeled sdcard

- Create 1 primary ext4 partition of 1 Gb labeled system

- Create 1 primary linux-swap partition of 128 mb (mine is 256 mb but 128 mb is more than enough)

Hi, thanks dev's team.

I have a problem with the creation of three primary partitions, when I create it by gparted:

/dev/sda1 - primary fat32

/dev/sda2 - primary ext4

/dev/sda3 - linux-swap

and disconnect from PC, omnia asks for formatting the memory. Formatting fails.

I have the 8GB model.

What am I doing wrong?

Please help.

dear Voyteckst,

I don't know is it a bug or not.. but when I download something from market using wifi, and charging... I see the charging state is not stable.. in few second its not charging.. and another second its charging again..

hope you can understand what I mean.. :)

sorry for my poor english...

Edited by lyeid

Guest generalekamikaze

Unofficial guide: How to manually install Android 2.2 (Froyo) beta 3 release on My Storage partition instead of external SD card on the Samsung Omnia II (GT-i8000)

WARNING: This guide will remove the hidden partition from your phone.

(But I guess it's possible to just resize the my storage partition to get the space you need for the swap and ext4 partitions without loosing the hidden partition)

Always make a backup of your phone before doing this kind of procedure to your phone.SPB Backup is a good software to do that on WinMo you can also store all of your contacts on your SIM card also backup all files you want to keep that is on the My Storage partition.

Note: You can use this guide starting at step 2 to upgrade from beta2 to beta3 (that's how I installed it) You only need to create the linux-swap partition using gparted

Disclaimer: This guide worked for me with the Omnia II (GT-i8000) 16 Gb version so it may not work on other phones compatible with this build. I cannot be held responsible for any damage to you and/or your phone.

Requirements:

- Samsung Omnia II (model GT-i8000)

- Froyo 2.2 Beta 3 build

- Windows (XP, Vista or 7)

- Linux (Live CD or Bootable USB key or a Virtual Machine like VirtualBox since it can link the USB port to the VM. You can use the ubuntu iso as a live CD with VirtualBox so you dont have to install the whole thing)

- Knowledge of Linux is a good thing also to have

- ext4.tar.gz from froyo_beta3.zip

- haret.exe, zImage and startup.txt from froyo_beta3.zip (not from the o2beta folder but from the root of the zip file) - [ you can get startup.txt from beta2 manual installer package froyo_beta2_manual_inst.zip ]

1- Preparing the filesystem: phone booted on Windows Mobile and PC under Linux

- Connect your phone to your PC (Making sure you've selected the My Storage partition in Home -> General Settings -> USB Connection -> Mass Storage -> My Storage)

- Started Gparted and choose the 15.36 Gb partition (should be the last device in the dropdown list)

- Unmount the fat32 partition

- Delete the fat32 partition and all other partitions including the extended partition (this will remove the hidden partition)

- Create 1 primary fat32 partition of about 14.7 Gb labeled sdcard

- Create 1 primary ext4 partition of 1 Gb labeled system

- Create 1 primary linux-swap partition of 128 mb (mine is 256 mb but 128 mb is more than enough)

- Apply the changes (this might take a while so go get something to drink)

- Reboot your phone so that WinMo ajusts its new My Storage partition.

2- Copying the files:

Mount /media/system and extract the content of ext4.tar.gz (sdd2 could be different for you depending on how many disks you have in your PC)

sudo mount /dev/sdd2 /media/system

sudo tar zxvf ext4.tar.gz -C /media/system
Mount /media/sdcard and copy haret.exe, startup.txt and zImage from froyo_beta3.zip
sudo mount /dev/sdd1 /media/sdcard

cp haret.exe zImage startup.txt /media/sdcard
3- Changing configuration files: vold.fstab in /media/system/system/etc
sudo vi /media/system/system/etc/vold.fstab
Like this:
dev_mount sdcard /sdcard auto /devices/platform/s3c-sdhci.1/mmc_host/mmc1
init.rc in /media/system/ (optional: If you want to use your external SD card)
sudo vi /media/system/init.rc
Like this:
mount vfat /dev/block/mmcblk0p1 /storage
startup.txt in /media/sdcard
vi /media/sdcard/startup.txt
Set CMDLINE "rootdelay=2 root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 init=/init console=ttySAC2,115200"
Like this:
Set CMDLINE "rootdelay=2 root=/dev/mmcblk1p2 init=/init console=ttySAC2,115200"
fstab in /media/system/system/etc
sudo touch /media/system/system/etc/fstab

sudo chmod 666 /media/system/system/etc/fstab

sudo echo /dev/block/mmcblk1p3 swap swap defaults 0 0 > /media/system/system/etc/fstab
4- Unmount the 2 paritions
sudo umount /media/system

sudo umount /media/sdcard

5- Starting Android 2.2 (Froyo)

Unplug your phone from your PC

Phone booted under WinMo: Home -> File explorer -> My Storage -> haret.exe

Note: It's normal that the Loading Omnia 2 screen and Android logo screen takes longer on first boot since it's unpacking the apps.

6- Enjoy your brand new Android smartphone :D

I think that's about it, I tried to put in as much details possible from memory since I didn't want to reinstall the whole thing again.

The boot is stopped on the "Android on Onia II Loading .. " .

What's the problem now???