14 Jun Gr9 (6.3.1) - MoDaCo Custom ROM for the Kindle Fire

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest android16

If you're visiting from XDA, I can't update that topic as I have a 2 week ban for accidentally including a 'MoDaCo Ad Free' link in some topics. D'oh.

P

That is their loss really as you are doing great work for the kindle fire. I see the point(advertising is wrong on there) but they coulda given you a break after seeing you are a very helpful poster on that forum.

Gr6 prebake is now online as well as the online kitchen!

P

My KF is rooted, running MIUI and still at 6.2.1 Can I use this or do I need to take the update first?

• Based on the 6.2.2 release
  • Includes Google Services Framework and Android Market, masquerading as Galaxy Tab for maximum app availability

Could you please tell me more detail about how to camouflage as Galaxy Tab ? I try to modify build.prop but it does not work. Thank you very much.

• Includes Google Services Framework and Android Market, masquerading as Galaxy Tab for maximum app availability

Could you please explain more detail about how to camouflage Kindle Fire as a Galaxy Tab ? I try to modify build.prop but it does not work.

Thank you very much.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest herculesksp

I am getting extremely tempted to try this ROM out. I have one question though. Will the device work as a "Kindle Device" with this ROM? Or will it be just another tab and I have to use the Kindle app?

Paul:

I was looking for a ROM that will be an add on to stock and after reading raving reports in the XDA forum, installed today and I am just flying now. The installation was even easier without any wipe. Full market with Network location, what more one could get? Thank you for bringing this ROM.

K.S. Madhavan

Guest herculesksp

My Pulse icon is all grey. The app works just fine. It just looks weird. Not a big problem.

Same here... the icon is all grey and looking dumb. App works just fine though.

This happened after I updated the app from the market. Probably the way the app is delivered with modaco is not compatible with market update.

Similarly, I am unable to update my Adobe Air app from the market as it says it is incompatible. It worked on the CM7 though. :-(

EDIT: I went into applications and uninstalled the updates from the Pulse reader app. Now the icon appears all fine. Maybe there could also be a difference when the app is installed through amazon app store and updated through market. Not sure on that.

EDIT2: Or not... The icon on the carousel showed up fine, but the icon on the Apps and Favourties are still grey. Probably missing a bitmap after the update?

Edited by herculesksp

Guest huangyouyi

很好用,谢谢!

Hi all!

I've started playing more with my Kindle Fire so i've mad a first early MoDaCo Custom ROM for the device.

Flashing is recommended using TWRP, ALWAYS BACK UP BEFORE FLASHING! Wipe is not required.

Features:

• Heavily optimised and compressed to take as little space as possible and perform as fast as possible!
  • Network location support (for Maps etc.)
  • Rooted with Superuser
  • Insecure boot image (for 'adb remount' etc.)
  • init.d support
  • TweakDeck Twitter client Kindle Fire version (can be uninstalled)
    I'll be doing more tweaks as I mess around with the device more together with more kitchen features, so watch this space. :)

P

Paul:

Is there a fix to show "PULSE" icon correctly instead of a grey square?

Will Voice search work in this ROM using the 3 pin headset with microphone? I tried and was not successful.

Thank you.

Guest sam glosko

Hi Paul,

I've been very happy your roms for my mobile and was very happy to find that you've started playing with this device!

I have gotten ADB, BurritoRoot3 and TWRP v2.0.0 running, I then install a kitchen bake zip using TWRP.

A few errors pop up, most seem benine (i didn't sign the bake, etc.), and the update installs, writes Data, System, Boot, Finishes Up, however the install concludes with the following error (also present at the start of the install):

E:Unable to load volume /misc!

Any idea what this one means?

Rebooted into the Kindle, and it's running your rom without issue so far so this is just paranoia/curiosity mostly.

Cheers,

Sam

Guest Mighty Warriors

If I were to take ur custom rom build.prop and use it on a stock rooted 6.2.2 rom, will it work and the android market will recognise it as a Galaxy Tab device?

Guest STLJonny

Attempting to use this and also install ADW Launcher EX, but keep getting immediate FC when launching ADW. Others claim to not have this problem, but I've wiped everything in TWRP menu before flash, then all cache after (and still have problem). Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Another Q... Why am I showing two market links? Is this normal (I can hide one, just want to make sure something wasn't done incorrectly).

Also, will this run with Raven's kernel?

Edited by STLJonny

Guest Zulkar

All works fine, except settings. When I press in top right corner nothing happens - so I can't adjust volume or change Wi-Fi settings. Can you help me? I installed modaco after cyanogen-mod.

upd: After installing stock rom, settings again work. When installed modaco - they doesn't show

Edited by Zulkar

Guest PaulOBrien

Hey folks!

Gr7 is in the kitchen, i'll update the first post, changelog and prebake in the morning! Primary changes are app updates including the brand new TweakDeck and rebranding of the Market Launcher with 'Google Play'. :)

P

Guest PaulOBrien

Gr7 now available including prebake!

P

Changelog

14th Mar - Gr7

• Updated to Google Play Store (including custom launcher icon)
  • Updated IMDB
  • Updated TweakDeck
  • Added Google Play Books and Google Play Music as kitchen options
  • Fixed Pulse icon

Guest neolode

Attempting to use this and also install ADW Launcher EX, but keep getting immediate FC when launching ADW. Others claim to not have this problem, but I've wiped everything in TWRP menu before flash, then all cache after (and still have problem). Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Another Q... Why am I showing two market links? Is this normal (I can hide one, just want to make sure something wasn't done incorrectly).

Also, will this run with Raven's kernel?

I know that the old ADW gives a FC when trying to run, I managed to find out that Amazon is doing something funky with the WallpaperManager. I did kind of sort of do a fix in my ADW open source based launcher, no FC but no wallpaper either :). Will keep you in the loop, if I ever get to actually fully fix it, if you want.

Oh and build-able sources are here https://github.com/n...ee/hatchling0.1

And the 2 market links are because you need a "shortcut" to actually see the android market in the amazon stock launcher.

Guest Forgiven2312

How do I get this? I press the download link and when I enter the code and everything I get a 404 page saying the server was not found or something? Very annoying and I would really like to try this ROM out it seems very cool and interesting.