Samsung i8000 as a USB 3G modem

Omnia II had been serving me well for the pass 2 years, I'm decommissioning it as a phone for Android handset. its now serving as a 3G modem thru internet sharing.

I have got hold of a 3G router and thinking if I'm able to use it as a USB 3G modem(ONLY) to the router. I have tried plugging it to TP Link MR3420's USB port but it can not detect it and prompted unknown modem. I have tried using the dataconnection.exe and configure the phone as USB_Phone and USB_PDA, both can't be detected.

anyone know if theres a tool to turn the Omnia to a USB Modem only device?

TIA

Guest aafi-rocks

Omnia II had been serving me well for the pass 2 years, I'm decommissioning it as a phone for Android handset. its now serving as a 3G modem thru internet sharing.

I have got hold of a 3G router and thinking if I'm able to use it as a USB 3G modem(ONLY) to the router. I have tried plugging it to TP Link MR3420's USB port but it can not detect it and prompted unknown modem. I have tried using the dataconnection.exe and configure the phone as USB_Phone and USB_PDA, both can't be detected.

anyone know if theres a tool to turn the Omnia to a USB Modem only device?

TIA

I don't think its possible.

Your phone is detected as a modem by your computer because it uses Windows Mobile Device Center & Active sync.

When you connect your phone to the router, the router wont be able to detect the phone as a modem.

Hope this helps.

that's what I thought too. i don't think the internet sharing make the WinMo phone work as a modem, more like a connection pass thru, since it require active sync or WMDC. that's sad as some old phone like SE W705 can function as a pure USB modem with some setting in the phone configuration. If the SE phone can do it, I believe any smart phone can too. unfortunately, i am no expert. Thanks for the reply.