[KERNEL] S series kernel for "all" custom ROMs

Guest C3C0

Guest snarkavenger

This is why I love this kernel; 6 Days, 21 Hours, 20 minutes before the battery warning came on.

post-925091-0-64064600-1340100302_thumb.

This is with light use but wifi on, auto update from Play on most apps, using it to check TV listings and some mails, regular calls and texts all week.

thanks again C3C0

Guest m0ther

wow/ that IS good - i was happy with 2 full days... can i ask what ROM and CPU settings are you using..?

EDIT - just realised you've got a Blade, that's probably the reason..!

Edited by m0ther

Guest snarkavenger

wow/ that IS good - i was happy with 2 full days... can i ask what ROM and CPU settings are you using..?

The screenshot's from a Skate (Orange Monte Carlo) though I've got a Blade (SF) too.

The ROM is Ice Armor III that I dropped the kernel (pre volume fix) onto and everything just worked. Other tweaks are the ICS style notification theme and Halo Launcher.

CPU governor is SMARTASSV2, min 122MHz, max 882 MHz. TPT is 200MB system, 2MB cache, 238MB data

Guest m0ther

cool thanks - i'll try those settings (not far off what i had to be honest)

and can anyone confirm my understanding is right - with mokee there's no need to flash the kernel over the top - it's already rolled in,, right?

Guest addis

The display battery usage is very low

4% in 6 days. that is the reason. :)

Edited by addis

Guest Redstarr1

Yeah, if you assume that those percentages not only mean energy drain but actual time usage, the screen was only on for an hour a day. I call that light usage. It's probably less time a day since the screen is the component that proportionally uses the most energy.

That doesn't mean that this kernel doesn't save battery. It's just that if you have to recharge daily on a non-optimized kernel, this kernel won't suddenly turn that in 3 days or more. I found it to work better in general than tilal's as well, on CFX :).

Guest snarkavenger

Yeah, if you assume that those percentages not only mean energy drain but actual time usage, the screen was only on for an hour a day. I call that light usage.

I called it light usage too :)

This was an experiment where I didn't use my phone for browsing. I wanted to have a fair comparison with an old feature phone whose battery seemed to last forever. If I'd turned off the wifi and put the display on lowest setting instead of auto then I'd have got longer out of it. My feeling is that this is a lot better than the stock ROM from Orange which gave 2 days at best with similar usage (on a trip where I didn't enable wifi because of data charges). It's nice to know I can stick a phone in my pocket and still receive calls even if I forget my charger.

Guest crnadakm

Sometimes some apps can give you a headache. For example i used widget locker and it drained my battery like crazy! When I installed MokeeOS with this kernel I could get up to 3 days of usage, now there is something that is draining my battery again, it might be facebook, beautiful widgets some other app I don't know but it really annoys me, it's struggling to last two days...

I am planning a vacation and I really need my battery for GPS so I'm thinking about making a backup, doing a clean install and installing only "necessary" apps,

I find that car chargers are useless !

Edited by crnadakm

Guest plegdroid
Sometimes some apps can give you a headache. For example i used widget locker and it drained my battery like crazy! When I installed MokeeOS with this kernel I could get up to 3 days of usage, now there is something that is draining my battery again, it might be facebook, beautiful widgets some other app I don't know but it really annoys me, it's struggling to last two days...

I am planning a vacation and I really need my battery for GPS so I'm thinking about making a backup, doing a clean install and installing only "necessary" apps,

I find that car chargers are useless !

beautiful Widgets will eat your battery to death :)

Guest crnadakm

beautiful Widgets will eat your battery to death

BW pack, Imo.im = gone! So we'll see.

Edited by crnadakm

Guest razzmataz1478

Why are you porting AOSP?

Firstly, it already exists.

Secondly, you're better off building it from source rather then porting

To answer your question:

I'm not sure, I think Cyanogenmod kernels are different to AOSP kernels though I may be wrong.

Guest utternoob

Porting because I don't have readily availible access to a PC and our AOSP is under a rather large pile of updates lalit is doing, so I thought I would help in any possible way. Thanks for answer. When done will try and see what happens

Guest snarkavenger

beautiful Widgets will eat your battery to death

+1 to that. I'm using a combination of SIMI clock (showing date and weather) and Clockr (showing time as text)

Edited by snarkavenger

Guest SamuriBlue

Well, I just installed the "update-S3-gb-boot-11.zip" before, and checked out the new update yesterday.

But when I installed this new update "update-S3-gb-boot-15.zip" and took my ear buds to listen music, I felt that the volume was too high, even I turned to the lowest level.

I don't like the Volume boost hack in this one, I like the older one.

How can I do to uninstall this Volume boost hack?

Edited by SamuriBlue

I don't mind to be your guinea pig (test subject) :P :D .

The fix you provided link for is for msm7x30 board and I can't see a way how this could be analogically made for our board. That's the first thing. The other one is that their fix disables the possibility to use real headset with mic ...

First post updated. Since some people are not very happy with volume boost now there's a freedom of choice :)

Basic version, without volume boost and Volume Boost version.

For both - CM7 and CM9...

If you flashed volume boosted version previously and want to go back to basic one and you still find the low volume

levels too high, just reflash the rom you are currently using so the libmedia.so is replaced with the original one.

Reflash of your current rom can be done without wipes in case it's really the exact same one.

Advanced users can simply replace /system/lib/libmedia.so with the original one.

Edited by C3C0